Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Door Latch Recall Notice

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 08:21 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Door Latch Recall Notice

I received my "RECALL" notice in the mail on Wednesday from Ford regarding the problem with the "door latch" less than two weeks after the message came through via the FordPass App.

I "guess" this means the parts are available to fix the problem.

I`ve never had any problems with the doors on my 2016 Lariat SuperCrew but then again, I live in GA and it seems like most of the problems that i`ve read about are from owners who live in areas of the country where they get real winter weather as well as our neighbors in Canada.

Has anyone else received their notice in the mail?

I wonder how many door panels will be damaged or scratched up by the dealers while making these repairs and even though my doors are fine and I haven`t had any problems, i`m going to hold off in the hopes that the repair kit with instructions can be purchased at a later date and i`ll do it myself to eliminate or decrease any damage to the door panel by the dealer.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:51 AM
BigDozer66
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I haven't received the official letter in the mail yet.

Does it say the parts are available or that the dealer will contact you when they are available?

I would think the people up North (colder climates) would be first on the list as we see freezing weather down here about once in a blue Moon!

I had to double check and I have a buddy in Georgia that had his freeze/seize up last Winter so I guess it affects more than just the really frigid areas.

__________________________________________________ ______________

'17 XLT Screw w/5' 7" Bed | Oxford White | FX4 | 3.5L EB | 3.55 ELD | 302A |Chrome Pkg | Max Tow w/TBC | 36 Gal. Tank | WeatherTech Deflectors, Floor Liners, & Mud Flaps | BakFlip MX4 & BedRug | Bilstein 5100's | VA Navi | SYNC 3 Connect | Tailgate Step & Damper | Husky Wheel Well Liners | Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT 275/65R18 |

Old 11-17-2017, 09:14 AM
ACADguy
Mountain Pass
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I got mine in the mail last week. I just happened to be at the dealer this past Tuesday for an oil change and once over before winter (I know, I have no time to do these things these days) and I had the letter with me so I asked about it. I was told that it's a preliminary notice of the problem but that parts are not yet available for the fix. I would be notified again once the parts are available. In short, I wouldn't worry about it until the next letter comes. For what it's worth, that's the story I got.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:40 AM
CA55F100
Tuned
I've had two of our company trucks in for service, and was told for both of them that the parts are not in yet for the repair.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:53 AM
BigDozer66
New User
Cool

That is what I figured.

__________________________________________________ ___________

'17 XLT Screw w/5' 7" Bed | Oxford White | FX4 | 3.5L EB | 3.55 ELD | 302A |Chrome Pkg | Max Tow w/TBC | 36 Gal. Tank | WeatherTech Deflectors, Floor Liners, & Mud Flaps | BakFlip MX4 & BedRug | Bilstein 5100's | VA Navi | SYNC 3 Connect | Tailgate Step & Damper | Husky Wheel Well Liners | Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT 275/65R18 |

Old 11-17-2017, 10:07 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Im my opinion, Ford is saying several things in this letter so i`ll summarize them in order just like the letter.

What is the Issue?

Frozen door latch or bent or kinked door latch actuation cable which may result in the door not opening or opening while driving.

What will Ford do?

Ford is diligently working to procure parts needed for repair of Safety Recall 17S33.
When a repair is available, Ford will notify you via mail to schedule a service appointment with your dealer to have your vehicle repaired.

What should you do?

If your vehicle exhibits any of these problems, immediately contact your dealer and request a service appointment relating to Safety Recall 17S33 and provide the dealer with the VIN of your vehicle which is printed near your name at the beginning of this letter.

If your vehicle does "not" exhibit any or the problems, no action is required by you at this time. Ford will notify you by mail when service parts are available, at which time a service appointment to perform this safety recall may be scheduled.

It sounds like they have some parts or some kind of repair available for this recall but not enough to cover everyone all at the same time.

I can understand this because in the second part of the letter, they said that they are trying to procure the parts.

Also, notice they said provide the VIN that`s printed near your name on "this letter" if you are now having these problems so it`s obvious they are trying to stagger the repair to avoid a run on the parts.

For those that are interested and have not received the actual letter, I hope this helps you.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:16 AM
BigDozer66
New User
Cool

My USPS Informed Digest says mine will be arriving today via snail mail.

Not that it will do any good.

__________________________________________________ ___________

Old 11-20-2017, 03:01 PM
Rickyrobert
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never got one. I live in canada and never had the issue.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:54 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Got the letter today

Old 11-20-2017, 08:22 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
I just recieved the notice and have had the drivers passenger door stay locked a few times during last winter in mn

Old 11-20-2017, 11:07 PM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,358 Likes on 1,706 Posts
Received the letter today. I haven't had any problems with my doors.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:41 AM
benwalt
Senior User
I got mine yesterday. I've not had a problem, but it rarely gets below the high 20s here in the Winter, and the average low is the high 30s.

I would almost lean to letting it go, since it seems anytime I have had something in for a repair like this, things never get put back together completely right, and there's always some squeak or other problem. However, I'm moving to Idaho next year, which has me leaning towards having it done.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:44 AM
CR172
Fleet Mechanic
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I got mine this past Saturday. No problems here either. I may not bother with it.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:08 AM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I’m still waiting for mine, but haven’t gotten the mail in a few days. I was on the Ford Owner website over the weekend and it said I get the recall, so it’s more about part availability than the postcard att this point

My left rear door had issues last winter during the freezing spells, so I’ll get the recall done in the next month or two.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:31 AM
David W Jones
Tuned
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
My letter was in the mailbox yesterday. It informed me of the recall and then informed me they didn't have parts and that they'd contact me when they did. I've never had the issue and we seldom have freezing issues here in central Alabama. About 2-3 times a year we'll get a cold front through that begins with rain and then immediately drops well below freezing after the front passes. During those "events" all vehicles parked outside are subject to frozen doors and I suspect Ford's fix wouldn't make a bit of difference.

Quick Reply: Door Latch Recall Notice