Sponsored by: DP Tuner

RRD high volume fuel pickup??

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 04:21 PM
F0rdc0wb0y
Fleet Mechanic
Received 446 Likes on 261 Posts
RRD high volume fuel pickup??

Going to be doing the hutch mod soon and while reading and browsing the interwebs for info. I came across this..Riffraff Diesel High-Volume Fuel Pickup for 6.0L/7.3L Ford Powerstroke

My question. How does this unit compare to doing the hutch mod? Seems like it'd be better plus when (not if) I upgrade injectors this unit would definitely aid in fuel delivery. Thoughts??

Old 11-15-2017, 05:00 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by F0rdc0wb0y
Going to be doing the hutch mod soon and while reading and browsing the interwebs for info. I came across this..Riffraff Diesel High-Volume Fuel Pickup for 6.0L/7.3L Ford Powerstroke

My question. How does this unit compare to doing the hutch mod? Seems like it'd be better plus when (not if) I upgrade injectors this unit would definitely aid in fuel delivery. Thoughts??
I have 140cc injectors in my E99 with the FRX my fuel pressure sits at 73psi and only drops to 68-69 when I'm towing. I've read the stock pump is good to 400hp iirc, I don't think you need to spend the money unless you're building an absolute beast. I'm sure others will chime in too.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:16 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Honestly for your build it isn't really needed. It would more cost effective to go with a standard hutch mod in your case. Give us a call if we can help you further with your goals though.

Riffraff Diesel Hutch In-Tank Fuel Mod Kit - Riffraff Diesel Performance

Old 11-17-2017, 07:33 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I would just do as Clay suggests, and throw in a pump pre-strainer to protect the pump inlet without the need for in-tank screens.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:06 AM
akcooper9
Laughing Gas
Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
I would just do as Clay suggests, and throw in a pump pre-strainer to protect the pump inlet without the need for in-tank screens.
+1 you can do the hutch mod for under 140 bucks (if you do a racor ps120-02)

Old 11-17-2017, 08:51 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado350
I have 140cc injectors in my E99 with the FRX my fuel pressure sits at 73psi and only drops to 68-69 when I'm towing. I've read the stock pump is good to 400hp iirc, I don't think you need to spend the money unless you're building an absolute beast. I'm sure others will chime in too.
Pretty much same story here.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:52 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Why am I so intimidated by this stupid hutch mod? LOL

Old 11-17-2017, 10:44 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Dropping a tank that still has 10 gals / 80 lbs of diesel on your head.
Getting all that crap on top of the tank in the tank when working on it.
Dropping your PVC cutter inside the tank while cutting the fill/vent tubes.
Trying to figure out how to prove your new pickup assembly doesn't leak before re-installing it.
Spending an hour getting the fuel pickup retaining ring started on the threads
Re-installing the tank with 10gal /80 lbs of diesel back under the truck without dropping it on your head again.
Is that good enough?

Old 11-17-2017, 10:49 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SaintITC
Trying to figure out how to prove your new pickup assembly doesn't leak before re-installing it.
Re-installing the tank with 10gal /80 lbs of diesel back under the truck without dropping it on your head again.
Is that good enough?
Wondering if it all applies the same to a chassis cab truck...

Old 11-17-2017, 10:50 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
The only thing I really had a hard time with was getting the line from the sender twisted properly so that when the tank was back up where it needs to be the line would not be twisted. My first attempt at putting the tank back up went well until I stopped just short to check out the hoses and what not. because I had installed the fuel line the way I did, when I raised the tank it put a kink in the line. I fixed that by twisting the line the correct way so that when raising the tank the line would be flat and straight.

I also had a bit of trouble getting the fill neck hose back on too, but that was self inflicted because I installed a port in the neck for the auxiliary tank and pump. It was not too difficult, but a bit tedious is all.

Just have a couple of jacks and at least a 2x6. I did the entire mod myself with about 5 gallons of fuel in the tank. It is really quite easy.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:35 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
I did it myself too, but it was awkward. I banged my head when the tank shifted a bit and all the fuel sloshed and tipped it off the jack. After that I used tie downs to secure it to the jacks. If I had my pressure washer with me I would've used that to clean the top before working on it. My problem was disconnecting the stock fuel lines, and getting sprayed with the diesel in the lines.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:34 PM
F0rdc0wb0y
Fleet Mechanic
Received 446 Likes on 261 Posts
Y'all make this chit sound loads of fun.

Last edited by F0rdc0wb0y; 11-17-2017 at 01:35 PM. Reason: wouldnt let me cuss...LOL
Old 11-17-2017, 02:43 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Is that good enough?
Take your truck to the car wash before you do it and really get the filler tube connection clean and the frame rails as clean as possible so when you're underneath there you're not getting all that crap in your eyes.
I used a floor Jack to lower the tank. I put a ratchet strap front and rear of tank to keep it level while lowering it.
I used my air compressor to blow loose dirt off top and then brake cleaner to clean residue and dirt off of everything. I used a paint pen to mark the ring to match the little arrow on the top of the sending unit. So that when I put it altogether I knew the ring was as tight the second time as it was originally.
I used a 1/2" drill bit to put a mild bevel in the end of the rubber hose that I slid on the pick up line. This allowed me to slide the hose over the lip that the compression fitting would lock onto. I was able to slide the hose on the pick up tube about 3" which allowed for 3 hose clamps.
I used the ratchet straps to get the tank back up in the air so they could get the jack underneath it. And then just slowly lifted everything up .
If I had to do it over again I'd pump the fuel left in the tank through funnels with coffee filters in it then into diesel cans, wipe the fuel tank clean, then pour the clean fuel bad into the tank.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:24 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by F0rdc0wb0y
Y'all make this chit sound loads of fun.
Working under the truck and having a dirt shower has it's drawbacks... but resting on my back is not the most uncomfortable position I've been in while working on the truck.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:30 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Is that good enough?
This was great for a laugh this Saturday morning! Yeah, that about sums it all up! LOL

Originally Posted by Sous
The only thing I really had a hard time with was getting the line from the sender twisted properly so that when the tank was back up where it needs to be the line would not be twisted. My first attempt at putting the tank back up went well until I stopped just short to check out the hoses and what not. because I had installed the fuel line the way I did, when I raised the tank it put a kink in the line. I fixed that by twisting the line the correct way so that when raising the tank the line would be flat and straight.

I also had a bit of trouble getting the fill neck hose back on too, but that was self inflicted because I installed a port in the neck for the auxiliary tank and pump. It was not too difficult, but a bit tedious is all.

Just have a couple of jacks and at least a 2x6. I did the entire mod myself with about 5 gallons of fuel in the tank. It is really quite easy.
Thanks Sous. I am sure I can do it. I just need to tackle it before I have
issues. I sort of question if it has been done already. I have no issues filling up to 36 gallons and my truck runs great, but I just want to know for sure it's been done and really want a Racor filter before the pump.

Speaking of, where did you guys get those filter setups? I love the fact that you can look at the condition of your fuel.

Quick Reply: RRD high volume fuel pickup??