Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBS RKE retrofit problems - not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 05:25 PM
MR KROGOTH
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
OBS RKE retrofit problems - not working

Afternoon all,

Finally got around to retrofitting my '92 F-250 SuperCab with an RKE system out of a taurus. The problem i'm having is that when i hit lock on the button on the door, the park lights will flash as long as i hold the button, but nothing will lock. When i press the unlock button, the doors will lock.

I cannot seem to get a remote to program either. Could this be a bad RKE module?

Old 10-23-2017, 07:34 AM
terry274
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish I could help, but I only have questions.

Did you have a how to guide for this transplant or did you do it all on your own?
Do you know if the RKE system of the Taurus worked before you started?

On my truck (1996 F150 XLT) the wiring for the power locks is totally different between remote version of the locks and the non remote. I can supply you with wiring diagrams if that would help you.

I wanted the remote locks but I decided the easiest way would be to buy an after-market alarm system and leave the alarm part disconnected. I haven't done anything yet.
Terry

Old 10-23-2017, 03:52 PM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
Definitely keeping an eye on this thread. I actually have an RKE module from an old truck of mine and I was going to try to put it into my F250 XLT.

Didn't realize the wiring was different

Old 10-23-2017, 04:01 PM
terry274
Senior User
Here are two PDF's schematics that show the difference in keyless entry and regular door locks.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
without_keyless_entry.pdf (63.3 KB, 147 views)
File Type: pdf
keyless_entry.pdf (172.5 KB, 159 views)
Old 10-23-2017, 05:34 PM
MR KROGOTH
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by terry274
I wish I could help, but I only have questions.

Did you have a how to guide for this transplant or did you do it all on your own?
Do you know if the RKE system of the Taurus worked before you started?

On my truck (1996 F150 XLT) the wiring for the power locks is totally different between remote version of the locks and the non remote. I can supply you with wiring diagrams if that would help you.

I wanted the remote locks but I decided the easiest way would be to buy an after-market alarm system and leave the alarm part disconnected. I haven't done anything yet.
Terry
I used the following guide:
OBS keyless entry (RKE) retrofit. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

It is missing all the photos but most of the relevant information still exists.

You are correct. The non-RKE and factory RKE trucks have completely different harnesses as stated in the above referenced thread. I have access to FMCDealer (I work for Ford) and have literally every wiring diagram pertinent to the job at hand.

I was unable to test the RKE system out of the Taurus before i pulled it - it was in a pick a part yard, but I see ZERO evidence of damage to the module itself. I believe it has had a logic failure. I wanted an OEM system because it is reliable - I have had nothing but issues working with aftermarket alarm solutions.

Originally Posted by skyfox10
Definitely keeping an eye on this thread. I actually have an RKE module from an old truck of mine and I was going to try to put it into my F250 XLT.

Didn't realize the wiring was different
WAAAAAY Different!!! Most time consuming part of this project was building the harness from the module.

Late last night i managed to hop over to my old mans place as he has a '97 with factory RKE. I plugged in my module and it went nuts - doors randomly locking/unlocking/locking over and over. The module is bad.

Old 10-23-2017, 05:38 PM
terry274
Senior User
Thanks for the update. It sounds as if you have the hard part done and just need to go back to the salvage yard for another module.
Keep us updated, this is interesting.
Terry

Old 10-23-2017, 06:49 PM
MR KROGOTH
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by terry274
Thanks for the update. It sounds as if you have the hard part done and just need to go back to the salvage yard for another module.
Keep us updated, this is interesting.
Terry
Certainly. I waited months for a 93-95 taurus/sable to show up before this '95 wagon popped up. I was NOT going to let that one go! The hard part is definitely over.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:19 PM
MR KROGOTH
Laughing Gas
Got my two new modules in today. No worky. Gonna have to retrace my wiring job to figure out what happened... NOT happy. And its pouring rain right now.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:20 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
I used a mid 90's Lincoln Town Car remote keyless modual and had no issues when I put one in a friend's truck years back.

I pulled another(forgot year, but the modual was inside the driver's door) one to use in my E350 bus to open and close the passenger door and also driver's door lock too. Got it all working on the bench, just have to install it.....

The Lincoln's are far more common with RKE than other vehicles I have seen.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:43 PM
MR KROGOTH
Laughing Gas
Well, if i unplug the drivers side door actuator, and plug it back in, with the truck on, i can get the drivers door to unlock. However, once i cycle the key, it will go back to not working. Also, when i press the unlock button on the switch, the park lamps will turn on as long as i hold the switch down. Any ideas? Maybe a bad actuator?

Old 11-01-2017, 11:17 AM
F-250Flyer
Freshman User
Was the Taurus a reverse polarity system?

Sounds like the door lock actuators are getting the wrong ground path through the park lamp circuit. Close to the same problem I had installing a Viper RKE in the 95.

I had to wire in two relays and let the module direct the path through the relay. Initially I connected the wrong signal wire to the relay and it would lock when I pressed the unlock and vise-versa. switched the signal wires at the relays and it all worked fine.

Almost forgot, make sure the relays aren't grounded, so no ground circuit at the relays if you install the relays. The correct ground path will be through the door lock switch.

Old 11-05-2017, 03:58 PM
MR KROGOTH
Laughing Gas
Still havent figured this out. I've checked my grounds to make sure they're correct and in good working order. The dorr will only lock when the vehicle is running/moving. They seem to work better when i raise RPMs.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:10 PM
F-250Flyer
Freshman User
Originally Posted by MR KROGOTH
Still havent figured this out. I've checked my grounds to make sure they're correct and in good working order. The dorr will only lock when the vehicle is running/moving. They seem to work better when i raise RPMs.
Didn't mean to say the grounds are bad.

The door lock ground is "changed" through the door lock switch. The door locks in your 92 are a reverse polarity system. So power is traveling in one direction to lock the doors and in the other direction to unlock the doors.

If the Taurus was not reverse polarity door locks then the module will be grounding the system differently.

If you have the schematic for the Taurus door lock system post it here. Myself or someone else can tell you if it is reverse polarity or not.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:58 PM
MR KROGOTH
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by F-250Flyer
Didn't mean to say the grounds are bad.

The door lock ground is "changed" through the door lock switch. The door locks in your 92 are a reverse polarity system. So power is traveling in one direction to lock the doors and in the other direction to unlock the doors.

If the Taurus was not reverse polarity door locks then the module will be grounding the system differently.

If you have the schematic for the Taurus door lock system post it here. Myself or someone else can tell you if it is reverse polarity or not.
The taurus is a reverse polarity system. They use the same module for both vehicles.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:33 AM
F-250Flyer
Freshman User
"Certainly. I waited months for a 93-95 taurus/sable to show up before this '95 wagon popped up. I was NOT going to let that one go! "

Is/was the Taurus a 4 door, or was it a wagon with 5 actuators?

I haven't seen the schematic you used to build your harness, but it is possible you are mixing front and rear signals and possibly even lift-gate signals. Difficult to impossible to diag without the schematic or a diagram of the connections you used.

Even the thread you referenced as your guide used the factory harness from the donor vehicle.

Quick Reply: OBS RKE retrofit problems - not working