Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2WD low gear mod how-to video!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 08:41 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,443 Likes on 2,841 Posts
Arrow 2WD low gear mod how-to video!

This modification is for trucks with working ESOF and will allow for you to use low gear in forward or reverse in 2WD. This is very useful for ZF6 trucks, but will greatly benefit an automatic truck as well.

We all know that reverse is entirely too fast in these trucks. This is the main reason why I did the video. When using 2WD low in reverse, I can back my 5th wheel trailer up at a slow walk speed with tons of power and control.

Enjoy, and get the mod done!

Old 10-22-2017, 02:17 AM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Received 139 Likes on 79 Posts
Clear, concise & easy to follow. It's a simple mod to do, I don't know why but I was expecting it to be a little more complex. (I think I'd read about someone else doing it using a relay to switch the power side) simple is always best. My thanks will be the first of many no doubt.

Old 10-22-2017, 04:53 AM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,132 Likes on 644 Posts
Nice vid , even tho I have a manual transfer case

Old 10-22-2017, 06:15 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I was expecting a full-blown video, but the segments of slide show make perfect sense. You've done a good job of avoiding the fluff that frequently bloats how-to vids. Kudos on the male-female connector idea. Nice Carling switch, too... I want one. Amazon?

Old 10-22-2017, 07:41 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Nice job, clean installation and extra points for a great video.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:48 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Shovelheadrob
Clear, concise & easy to follow. It's a simple mod to do, I don't know why but I was expecting it to be a little more complex. (I think I'd read about someone else doing it using a relay to switch the power side) simple is always best. My thanks will be the first of many no doubt.
I was originally going to splice into the red wire as that was the instruction I received from another site. Although, as I mentioned in the video that Rich provided the advice of using the ground. In the unlikely event that any part of the wire shorts out to ground, nothing happens. If I had run the red wire into the cab and it was shorted, well **** happens then.

It really is very simple. It took me a while to get it done because I wanted it to look as factory as possible. I am very pleased with how it turned out.

Originally Posted by Wesley Green
Nice vid , even tho I have a manual transfer case
It took me 8 months to find this truck. If I had been looking for one with a manual transfer case, well I would probably still be looking. ESOF is nice though, if I have to admit it. Reverse in a ZF6 truck is way to fast though, so this mod is essential for ZF6 at least and I see some benefit to the auto guys too.

Originally Posted by Tugly
I was expecting a full-blown video, but the segments of slide show make perfect sense. You've done a good job of avoiding the fluff that frequently bloats how-to vids. Kudos on the male-female connector idea. Nice Carling switch, too... I want one. Amazon?
As you said, too many videos have too much fluff. People get off on tangents about why the neighbors dog is barking or their new phone. Frankly, we don't care about any of that, we want to see what we clicked on the link for. I like to use still shots and quick voice explanations when possible if the task is simple enough.

I smiled a bit when I thought of the male-female connectors idea. I figured that was a pretty good idea in case there are problems with the new wiring or switch down the line somewhere. I can have everything back to OEM in less than 2 minutes really.

The switch came for a shop called Rocker Switch Pros (https://rockerswitchpros.com/) out of Charleston, SC. I had the switch in my hand 48 hours after placing the order and I am impressed. As you can probably see in the video, the engagement of the switch is very confident and solid. There are many, many options for the switch in regards to lighting and momentary and what not, and even more options for labeling. I Googled "custom automotive switch" and found these guys. I was very impressed with their selection and customization.

Thanks again for the advice and I am glad everyone seems to like it. I was very happy with how everything turned out and now when I go to back up the 5th wheel next time I just have to flip a switch instead of unplugging the OEM connector.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:22 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,970 Likes on 1,105 Posts
Just so everyone's clear about the how and why this thread exists:

The electronic shift on the fly (ESOF) uses a vacuum solenoid to route vacuum to the "Auto" hubs on the front axle. These trucks, whether equipped with a manual or automatic transmission, suffer from a reverse gear that is geared much too high. This causes excess heat in an automatic transmission when backing a trailer or a back-up speed that's too fast without excessive "feathering" or riding of the clutch pedal when using a manual transmission. By using low range in the transfer case when backing (or moving heavy loads for short distances in ANY direction), the effective gear ratio is multiplied by 2.73 allowing much lower speeds to be attained without adding stress to the transmission or clutch.

Unfortunately for those with ESOF, the vacuum hubs, when operating correctly, will be commanded to "lock" when the transfer case is in the 4-Low position and in extreme cases when used on hard surfaces will break drivetrain parts due to binding when turning.

Also keep in mind that it doesn't matter if you have a manual or automatic transmission or a manual shift (NP271) or electronic shift (NP273) transfer case as any of these combinations can be equipped with ESOF. It simply depends on what options were selected when the pickup was ordered from Ford.

In the video attached, here is what the aforementioned switch is doing....and it's really this simple to do!

Old 10-22-2017, 11:57 AM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Reps for a good video.
I have both a manual t-case and manual hubs. I like to use low range in the t-case with hubs unlocked anytime I'm moving through the campground. Since my truck is straight piped, it greatly reduces engine load and noise. It also makes maneuvering loads in tight spaces much easier.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:09 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,183 Likes on 812 Posts
Reps sent Sous great video.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:29 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Rep law man says no more reps for Sous here.

Old 10-22-2017, 01:14 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
Just so everyone's clear about the how and why this thread exists:

The electronic shift on the fly (ESOF) uses a vacuum solenoid to route vacuum to the "Auto" hubs on the front axle. These trucks, whether equipped with a manual or automatic transmission, suffer from a reverse gear that is geared much too high. This causes excess heat in an automatic transmission when backing a trailer or a back-up speed that's too fast without excessive "feathering" or riding of the clutch pedal when using a manual transmission. By using low range in the transfer case when backing (or moving heavy loads for short distances in ANY direction), the effective gear ratio is multiplied by 2.73 allowing much lower speeds to be attained without adding stress to the transmission or clutch.

Unfortunately for those with ESOF, the vacuum hubs, when operating correctly, will be commanded to "lock" when the transfer case is in the 4-Low position and in extreme cases when used on hard surfaces will break drivetrain parts due to binding when turning.

Also keep in mind that it doesn't matter if you have a manual or automatic transmission or a manual shift (NP271) or electronic shift (NP273) transfer case as any of these combinations can be equipped with ESOF. It simply depends on what options were selected when the pickup was ordered from Ford.

In the video attached, here is what the aforementioned switch is doing....and it's really this simple to do!
Thank you sir for providing a much more detailed and technical explanation than I ever could have. Your words will clear up questions about this mod for years to come.

Old 10-22-2017, 01:15 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by z31freakify
Reps sent Sous great video.

Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Rep law man says no more reps for Sous here.
Thanks anyway! Send one to Tugly or Cleatus instead if you can.

Old 10-22-2017, 05:57 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Mods been up a whole day now, yet no mention of Mod naming. Unfortunately I'm whimsically challenged at the moment, since I'm stuck on "Sous Chef", which would have been great had he designed an under hood chicken rotisserie broiler, but he didn't.

Old 10-22-2017, 05:59 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Originally Posted by SaintITC
Mods been up a whole day now, yet no mention of Mod naming. Unfortunately I'm whimsically challenged at the moment, since I'm stuck on "Sous Chef", which would have been great had he designed an under hood chicken rotisserie broiler, but he didn't.
Sous wheel drive.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:05 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by SaintITC
I'm honored to even be considered as the creator of this mod, although I am not. I just took an idea from somebody else years ago and with the help and advice of others here, made it better.

Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Sous wheel drive.
now that is funny!

Quick Reply: 2WD low gear mod how-to video!