2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Cold weather diesel Anti Gel

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 08:52 PM
vinnie_p
Freshman User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cold weather diesel Anti Gel

Reading the manual is state not to use any addictive. I'm assuming most Stations in the Great North (Canada) are putting anti gel in there Diesel fuel but Im not sure if that would be sufficient. I'm in Southern Ontario so our winters aren't that bad compare to some places in Canada. We may have days that are as cold as -20C (5F) but they usual only last for a day or 2. Most winter days are -5c (23F) First time diesel owner and I don't want any issues when the cold weather hits.

PS Today was 23C (73) but when the cold comes it comes fast.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:45 PM
Robb81
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The manual says you can use motorcraft's cetane booster or anti-gel if you want. I believe PM22 and PM23.

PM-23-B is the approved anti-gel in Canada. Page 188 and 430 in my manual. Also says "or equivalent"

Old 10-20-2017, 10:45 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use the Ford winter additive for the Saskatchewan winter. Which is October to April.....
When it gets below -35 or so it's worth the peace of mind it gives me.
That said, I have used my truck in -40 without any additives.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:51 AM
roadpilot
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm using the PowerService products.

Summer - Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost
Winter - Diesel Fuel Supplement + Cetane Boost (w/anti-gel).

I live just NORTH of you ... an hour NW of Detroit. Lol.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:31 AM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
In Canada they do add anti gel right at the pump but some times it is not enough. Pumps doe freeze up time to time.

When it's colder then -20 you really should consider it along with a block heater. While your truck will likely run it is hard on the engine. Anything colder then -20 my old diesel would not run without plugging in.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:34 AM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by roadpilot
I'm using the PowerService products.

Summer - Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost
Winter - Diesel Fuel Supplement + Cetane Boost (w/anti-gel).

I live just NORTH of you ... an hour NW of Detroit. Lol.
stop using power service. That is an emulsifier, you do NOT want to use emulsifier additives in the 6.7 fuel system.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:35 AM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ricohman
I use the Ford winter additive for the Saskatchewan winter. Which is October to April.....
When it gets below -35 or so it's worth the peace of mind it gives me.
That said, I have used my truck in -40 without any additives.
I have seen gas gel up in a brand new Land Rover at -50. I believe the fuel does not gel uniformity so there is room plus if I recall correctly gelling may not destroy or prevent your truck from running just cause problems.

-40 with additive is some what brave. Living in sask is totally brave. It's like standing naked in a wind tunnel while some one try's to throw liquid nitrogen at you.

I think I saw plus 6 with a wind chill of -30 once in sask.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:37 AM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Sleepyguy
I have seen gas gel up in a brand new Land Rover at -50. I believe the fuel does not gel uniformity so there is room plus if I recall correctly gelling may not destroy or prevent your truck from running just cause problems.

-40 with additive is some what brave. Living in sask is totally brave. It's like standing naked in a wind tunnel while some one try's to throw liquid nitrogen at you.

I think I saw plus 6 with a wind chill of -30 once in sask.
wind chill means nothing on vehicles. Unless of course you were just saying it felt damn cold to you.. then disregard.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:45 AM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blwnsmoke
wind chill means nothing on vehicles. Unless of course you were just saying it felt damn cold to you.. then disregard.
That is true as it's meant for living things.
But I do know one thing. I will park facing away from the wind when it's really cold and windy.
Otherwise the block heaters are nowhere near as effective.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:22 AM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Diesel is a blend of #1 and #2, which allows it to handle the lower temps without gelling. It's actually waxes that cause most of the problem. #1 summer fuel, has more energy and so you get better fuel mileage however, it gels, so the lower the temps it will be used in the more #2 needs to be added.

Most commercial fuel stations list the operating temp,s it can be run, often the labels are for -10 C, -20 C, -45C, and so on. So, if your fuel is rated for the temps you will be driving for the whole tank, you don't need to add extra additives, if however, you plan to go North with that tank, say -10 C fuel. But your going to go North, then I treat my fuel. I now also need to work through how long the long box tank of 181 liters will last. Ie fueling in the fall, we could get a cold spell, so I will probably treat the next tank if the labels don't show sufficient cold temp blend. I also often treat when down south fueling up, depending on the labels on my commercial vendor, as I am going north and by the time I get home, it's often 20-30 degrees colder.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:28 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
wind chill means nothing on vehicles.
The hell it doesn't. When it's real windy and cold the engine won't ever reach normal operating temperature. That's why big trucks have radiator covers and folks used to stick cardboard in front. When parked outside, it will reach ambient temperature a hell of a lot quicker. On the other hand even an unheated shed will help keep some of the latent heat for easier starts the next day. Wind affects trucks in the same way (convection) and for exactly the same reason, it removes heat much faster.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:56 AM
Tom N OH
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by mhoefer
Diesel is a blend of #1 and #2, which allows it to handle the lower temps without gelling. It's actually waxes that cause most of the problem. #1 summer fuel, has more energy and so you get better fuel mileage however, it gels, so the lower the temps it will be used in the more #2 needs to be added.

Most commercial fuel stations list the operating temp,s it can be run, often the labels are for -10 C, -20 C, -45C, and so on. So, if your fuel is rated for the temps you will be driving for the whole tank, you don't need to add extra additives, if however, you plan to go North with that tank, say -10 C fuel. But your going to go North, then I treat my fuel. I now also need to work through how long the long box tank of 181 liters will last. Ie fueling in the fall, we could get a cold spell, so I will probably treat the next tank if the labels don't show sufficient cold temp blend. I also often treat when down south fueling up, depending on the labels on my commercial vendor, as I am going north and by the time I get home, it's often 20-30 degrees colder.
Not sure about how it is north of the border, but down here in the U.S., it’s just the opposite. #2 is the standard diesel, then as temps drop, more #1 is added, and in the coldest months, anti-gel additives are used to keep the waxes from forming.

Old 10-21-2017, 01:52 PM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tedster9
The hell it doesn't. When it's real windy and cold the engine won't ever reach normal operating temperature. That's why big trucks have radiator covers and folks used to stick cardboard in front. When parked outside, it will reach ambient temperature a hell of a lot quicker. On the other hand even an unheated shed will help keep some of the latent heat for easier starts the next day. Wind affects trucks in the same way (convection) and for exactly the same reason, it removes heat much faster.
Sorry but you are wrong. If it is -5 outside with a constant wind chill of -30 and you go start the truck, the truck will never be colder then -5 regardless of wind chill. Inanimate objects are never colder then the true temp outside (-5 in my example).

Therefore the diesel in the tank will never be colder then the true temp (we are talking additives and fuel gelling). So again, wind chill has no effect on the conversation at hand.

Old 10-21-2017, 02:23 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Sorry but you are wrong. If it is -5 outside with a constant wind chill of -30 and you go start the truck, the truck will never be colder then -5 regardless of wind chill. Inanimate objects are never colder then the true temp outside (-5 in my example). Therefore the diesel in the tank will never be colder then the true temp (we are talking additives and fuel gelling). So again, wind chill has no effect on the conversation at hand.
You're not paying attention. Nobody is saying the wind chill makes anything colder in temperature, in fact it doesn't make humans any colder either, if you stop and think about it.

What it DOES do, wind carries away whatever heat has accumulated much, much faster. It's going to reach whatever the ambient temperature is, a whole lot sooner. See the difference?

That's why we wear clothes to protect our skin in high wind, and that's why if you park your truck outside in high wind it will reach ambient temperature much faster than with no wind.

Old 10-21-2017, 03:04 PM
HouseMouse
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick Reply: Cold weather diesel Anti Gel