2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Unauthorised use of my truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 04:13 PM
AMXDREAMER
Posting Guru
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Unauthorised use of my truck

So I dropped my truck off Tuesday morning at the body shop to finally get the hail damage fixed from my incident in Iowa in June. I explicitly said I wanted the paintless dent removal done at their shop and told the paintless guy the same thing. I stopped by yesterday to check on the truck and they said the paintless guy just dropped it off...WTF?!?!?!? I asked for clarification and they told me he drove it to HIS personal shop at his house. This means he would have driven probably 100 km when I didn't authorise it. The bodyshop said they had a space in the shop he was going to do the work. I'm furious, I don't let people drive my truck and sure as heck wouldn't let someone I don't knowdrive it into the city! Another issue is when I got the rental car my trucks insurance goes over to the rental...so he drove mine with NO insurance!

What would you do?

Old 10-20-2017, 04:16 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Life's too short. I wouldn't give a crap.

But if it really bugs you, ask for a discount?

Old 10-20-2017, 04:18 PM
diamondbackmike2004
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dont know what id do but id be rather upset.

I guess id start with the GM and go from there. explain how this was an issue. remain calm but firm that this is a serious issue and a breach of your trust.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:35 PM
USSenator
Elder User
Who cares who drives it? As long as they break it, they buy it.

It's not like they are taking your wife for a test run...

Old 10-20-2017, 04:53 PM
AMXDREAMER
Posting Guru
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
How do I know the guy driving it wasn't beating the crap out of my new Platinum? I take care of my stuff and expect it to last.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:56 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by AMXDREAMER
How do I know the guy driving it wasn't beating the crap out of my new Platinum? I take care of my stuff and expect it to last.
What could he really do in 100km to hurt that Super Duty? It obviously bugs you, so go talk to the manager. Don't leave till he makes you happy. Its a personal thing. To me, its just a "thing", I dont put much weight in "things". Its different for everyone.

What would make you feel ok about the situation at this point? Money? An apology? A high five? We will never be able to guess that for you.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:57 PM
6.2caribou
Laughing Gas
Received 164 Likes on 105 Posts
Did you check the odometer to verify that it actually was driven?
Did you talk to the paintless guy to verify what happened? If he did take it home, I'd find out why. He likely has insurance that covers his actions.
Did the paintless guy do an acceptable job?

Old 10-20-2017, 05:17 PM
stewy604
Elder User
Agree. Not much he can do to hurt it in 100 km. That said, would I be pissed? Yes! As said above, start with the GM and go from there. They should have at least asked, or given a heads up.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:49 PM
Curtis Lipinski
Freshman User
Did he do a good job if so life is to short to sweat the small stuff.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:01 PM
livkot
Senior User
It does not help you now after the fact but if you had the Ford Telematics fitted you could see in detail what might have happened. When I order vehicles I have a sickness where I must check every option box, I have no need for the system but it is quite in-depth and detailed. If you were to have been watching the truck on the system at the time it left the body shop real time numbers/info would be available to you and more importantly events. Events are whatever you want them to be, hard acceleration, max speed, speed based location, abs, traction, etc. You could follow its every movement. Writing all that makes me think fleet managers could be real creepy if they so choose.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:39 PM
DRKBC
Senior User
I don't think I would lose too much sleep over what could have happened if nothing did. If they did a good job and gave me a couple of bucks for gas I would be happy.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:33 PM
KCJackson1
Tuned
Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts
When a vehicle is in a shop's possession for repairs, they are responsible for any mishap when operated by an employee prior to the release of the vehicle back to its owner. This would apply to a post-repair road test (such as after a brake job), or if they are transferring the vehicle between shops they own, operate, or have contracted. As long as you have a work order noting the date of drop-off and it has not yet been released back to you as repaired and approved, it's on the shop, not on you.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:52 PM
RedRage
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Mad!

I would be upset also. Its hard to describe but it makes you feel violated some how. It might fall under the legal term of conversion. I would not be happy at all. Sorry that happened to you.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:59 PM
tibadoe
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I can understand how the OP feels about this. I would be ticked off myself -- but that's just me.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:18 PM
USSenator
Elder User
Originally Posted by AMXDREAMER
You do not. Nor do you know if a mechanic dropped a tool or a bolt into a crevice that he could not get it out. Or if he took a few shortcuts on new parts and reused the old ones.

You have to assume that people are basically good, not assume they are bad. Often people project their own actions onto other people, and they look for the worst.

Quick Reply: Unauthorised use of my truck