6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

3rd Turbo in 30k miles...WTF ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 11:58 PM
cfonk
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd Turbo in 30k miles...WTF ?

Hi,
I am the only owner of a 04 f250 superduty with 70k miles.
Thank god I have an extended warranty.
I live in California.
The truck is currently at the local dealer, awaiting ESP warranty approval of another turbo and injectors 4 and 6. The turbo has "coking" . I don't drive the truck all that much, but when I do I am towing so it runs a little warmer so wouldn't you figure that the carbon would not be as bad ? The truck is all stock, with an edge reader. What can I do to prevent carbon buildup ? I use a fuel treatment for each fillup. There does not seem to be a lot of oil in the charge pipe. The EGR Cooler and oil cooler were replaced 10k ago with the 2nd turbo. Is there a better or upgraded turbo that the dealer can put in?.
I don't seem to missing any coolant. I don't get it ? WTF?

Old 10-19-2017, 12:09 AM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Drive it more... and when you do, drive it hard.

At least that is what I have been told. see if you can keep the old turbo... it likely just needs a cleaning and can be re-used.

Richard

Old 10-19-2017, 03:17 AM
mhatlen
2006 Bullet-Riddled 6.0

You MUST punish the truck with WOT inputs from 20mph -80mph at least twice a week.

That will blow 1400* of heat through that turbo and clean like a oven does.

Just pulling aint enuf, turbo must be heat flashed regular like.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:21 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by cfonk
Hi,
I am the only owner of a 04 f250 superduty with 70k miles.
Thank god I have an extended warranty.
I live in California.
The truck is currently at the local dealer, awaiting ESP warranty approval of another turbo and injectors 4 and 6. The turbo has "coking" . I don't drive the truck all that much, but when I do I am towing so it runs a little warmer so wouldn't you figure that the carbon would not be as bad ? The truck is all stock, with an edge reader. What can I do to prevent carbon buildup ? I use a fuel treatment for each fillup. There does not seem to be a lot of oil in the charge pipe. The EGR Cooler and oil cooler were replaced 10k ago with the 2nd turbo. Is there a better or upgraded turbo that the dealer can put in?.
I don't seem to missing any coolant. I don't get it ? WTF?
It's not coking, it's rust from sitting too much and unless you drive it more, it's probably going to continue to plague you. I've seen and heard this more times than I care to count. Are there upgraded turbos? Yes, but not that the dealer is going to put in under warranty. I know it sucks, but that's the way it is.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:45 AM
mhatlen
2006 Bullet-Riddled 6.0

Originally Posted by npccpartsman
It's not coking, it's rust from sitting too much and unless you drive it more, it's probably going to continue to plague you. I've seen and heard this more times than I care to count. Are there upgraded turbos? Yes, but not that the dealer is going to put in under warranty. I know it sucks, but that's the way it is.
I disagree with you on the unison rings are rusting in place on his truck. Seriously doubting it, and my reasoning is I also live in California and we have a very dry climate across the entire state.

I'm really blown away that you are still paying for the ESP warranty on a 2004. Besides the cost of the Ford ESP their level of wisdom is surprisingly poor at most dealer shops.
I wont bring my truck to a Ford shop for anything major. More often then not Ford pays their mechanics the lowest wage around and smart experienced mechanics follow the money.
There are SS unison rings made but Ford has never seen them and never will.

If you wanted a upgraded turbo a KC Turbo 2R would blow your skirt up and be trouble free. But it will set you back $2K

Best of Luck with your ride

Old 10-19-2017, 07:53 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
Cfonk,

Where you live in CA does it get humid?

What are the symptoms of your turbo issues?

Old 10-19-2017, 08:27 AM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In this case, and in order to be paid, the dealership has to find some other failed component, otherwise it's a "come back" and on their dime. Therefore I don't believe anything that is presented as failed such as egr and injectors. 3 turbos, IMHO is a misdiagnosis of previously failed component(s). Your truck will be fixed, just a waiting game on who's going to approve, ie: pay, ESP, or the dealer.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:58 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I had the same problem with my 05. New turbo app. every 20,000 miles. Ford finally bought it back after 10 years. I think the only reason they did was because each time was on their dime and I had impeccable maint. records which the lawyers loved.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:42 PM
cfonk
New User
Originally Posted by DarkStarMedia
Drive it more... and when you do, drive it hard.

At least that is what I have been told. see if you can keep the old turbo... it likely just needs a cleaning and can be re-used.

Richard

I have also been told that I need to drive it more but, I have a company truck and only drive it when I tow or drive on the weekends.
It probably does just need to be cleaned, but the dealer doesn't do that anymore they just replace.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:48 PM
cfonk
New User
The ESP extended warranty cost me $2300 bucks in 2014. I got about 9k worth of work in 2016 done for $100. The warranty has more than paid for itself. The warranty expires at the end of this month. If I can get another turbo and 2 injectors replaced, it will be the bonus round !

Old 10-19-2017, 10:52 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
I am in a similar situation... no company vehicle but I have another vehicle that I drive daily (08 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel). I would just plan to take it for a drive twice a month. Take it to the highway and get it up to temp. Then to one or two full throttle pulls getting on the on ramp and you should be fine.

Your mileage will suck but it's cheap maintenance.

Richard

Old 10-19-2017, 10:55 PM
cfonk
New User
Originally Posted by mhatlen
You MUST punish the truck with WOT inputs from 20mph -80mph at least twice a week.

Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
Cfonk,

Where you live in CA does it get humid?

What are the symptoms of your turbo issues?

Its not really that humid where I live.
I'm about 20 miles east of San Francisco.
The computer threw 4 codes,
P0271 #4 inj
P0277 #6 inj
P0278 cyl 6 contrib balance fault
P2262 the turbo code
It ran like it was missing and down on power. I thought it was because of the injectors.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:58 PM
cfonk
New User
Originally Posted by Benchwrench
In this case, and in order to be paid, the dealership has to find some other failed component, otherwise it's a "come back" and on their dime. Therefore I don't believe anything that is presented as failed such as egr and injectors. 3 turbos, IMHO is a misdiagnosis of previously failed component(s). Your truck will be fixed, just a waiting game on who's going to approve, ie: pay, ESP, or the dealer.

The service writer called today and said ESP was sending out an inspector and they would not be there till Monday. ESP is prob pissed because my $2300 warranty is gonna get me 14k worth of parts and labor

Old 10-19-2017, 11:00 PM
cfonk
New User
Originally Posted by mhatlen

Regular LIke!
I like it

Old 10-19-2017, 11:02 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
They shoud replace the 2 injectors too.

Richard

Quick Reply: 3rd Turbo in 30k miles...WTF ?