2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Cameras

Old 10-18-2017, 12:33 PM
dafuz
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cameras

My cameras quit working at less than 3000 miles. 2017 Ford F-250 Lariat. Just a blue screen. I brought it into the Ford dealer and they diagnosed it as a burned out control module for the cameras. They told me that the part would take two weeks to get in. After waiting for two weeks I called to get the status. They told me the part was backordered and they would not expect it until the end of the month. Has anyone had a similar experience with this or can they provide insight on what the problem is with this component? I find this to be very irritating especially since I know they are manufacturing trucks with the same part and there are other trucks parked on the lot that they could cannibalize the part for to put me back into service .

Old 10-18-2017, 12:41 PM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It can get very frustrating sometimes. I'm like you. When something stops work like it's supposed to I don't understand with all of this high tech stuff why it take them so long to fix it. It's hard to second guess them. We just have to learn to be patient because nothing else will get it done.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:57 PM
roadpilot
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dafuz
My cameras quit working at less than 3000 miles. 2017 Ford F-250 Lariat. Just a blue screen. I brought it into the Ford dealer and they diagnosed it as a burned out control module for the cameras. They told me that the part would take two weeks to get in. After waiting for two weeks I called to get the status. They told me the part was backordered and they would not expect it until the end of the month. Has anyone had a similar experience with this or can they provide insight on what the problem is with this component? I find this to be very irritating especially since I know they are manufacturing trucks with the same part and there are other trucks parked on the lot that they could cannibalize the part for to put me back into service .
First, as an OEM supplier to Ford, I can tell you that service parts take a back seat to production. That's just the way it is, especially with new model vehicles (including the complete change to the SD this year). The supplier may be pumping out 100% capacity just to support current production. That said, I would not sweat it. The world is an imperfect place and screws fall out. Yes, I'm sure it's annoying, but they will get it fixed for you.

As far as cannibalizing another truck on the lot: There's huge differenct between grabbing something that's simple to do (e.g., they grabbed the filler plugs from another truck for my 5th wheel prep that were missing), but you want them to start tearing into the IP or under they hood to get control modules? No way. Most of your truck was built, shipped to and installed in your truck as a sub-assembly that was TESTED as a sub-assembly.

For example, we built the HVAC unit for your truck. There's no way I'd want some dealership head mechanic digging through my HVAC to pull off a PTC (that's the rapid heat supplemental heater) to put on YOUR truck and then try to put another one back on their truck later. They are just opening up a Pandora's box of issues that would ultimately become warranty issues.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:00 PM
Robb81
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I understand the frustration but unless you buy 10 or 20 plus trucks a year not many dealers are going to take a part off a new truck to repair yours. Then they have a truck they are paying interest on that they can't sell and they eat the labor to pull and reinstall the part.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:23 PM
ngamountains
Junior User
Originally Posted by roadpilot
First, as an OEM supplier to Ford, I can tell you that service parts take a back seat to production. That's just the way it is, especially with new model vehicles (including the complete change to the SD this year). The supplier may be pumping out 100% capacity just to support current production. That said, I would not sweat it. The world is an imperfect place and screws fall out. Yes, I'm sure it's annoying, but they will get it fixed for you.

As far as cannibalizing another truck on the lot: There's huge differenct between grabbing something that's simple to do (e.g., they grabbed the filler plugs from another truck for my 5th wheel prep that were missing), but you want them to start tearing into the IP or under they hood to get control modules? No way. Most of your truck was built, shipped to and installed in your truck as a sub-assembly that was TESTED as a sub-assembly.

For example, we built the HVAC unit for your truck. There's no way I'd want some dealership head mechanic digging through my HVAC to pull off a PTC (that's the rapid heat supplemental heater) to put on YOUR truck and then try to put another one back on their truck later. They are just opening up a Pandora's box of issues that would ultimately become warranty issues.
Failure and delay for parts sucks for the OP, but nice to see an experience-based response.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:08 PM
dafuz
Senior User
Thank you for the responses. I am just a little frustrated though. I have to chuckle at myself because all off a sudden not having these cameras working is such an inconvenience after driving pickup trucks for 40+ years with only mirrors!!!

Old 10-18-2017, 05:17 PM
rcorkum4
Junior User
Camera malfunction

It is certainly easy to get used to a bell or whistle that is new to you. Hooking up my TT with the rear view camera on my F350 is so easy. If I had to go back to the GOAL (Get Out And Look) method I'm sure that I would feel the same as you do.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:32 PM
dafuz
Senior User
I know! In fact the day it quit working I went on a camping trip with my toy box and I had to ask my wife to help me hitch up and you all know what that's like!!!! 😂

Old 10-18-2017, 06:36 PM
maddmaxx
Junior User
I had to ask my wife to help me hitch up and you all know what that's like!!!! 😂
Haha, That made me shudder thinking about that potential conflict.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:41 PM
grouperjim
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tell you what, If my rear camera quit working and I couldn't get a timely replacement I'd be screwed. I'd have to park on the street because there is no way I could park in the back of the house without a camera. I literally have only 4 inches to spare to turn into my spot.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:08 PM
rangermc
New User
Thank you for the responses. I am just a little frustrated though. I have to chuckle at myself because all off a sudden not having these cameras working is such an inconvenience after driving pickup trucks for 40+ years with only mirrors!!!
Amen Brother,
How fast we get spoiled! I do love the 360 camera system and operating it I have learned that unlike the mirrors, I have to stop the truck to switch views. Great system though.
2017 SD Ultimate Lariat CCSB