No Water Out Of Fresh Water Drain

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 08:13 AM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No Water Out Of Fresh Water Drain

I just winterized my truck camper. When I went to drain my fresh water tank, nothing came out. I ended up using the onboard water pump to drain it. I'm thinking the drain line is somehow blocked? ... or the valve is not functioning as it should?

The drain valve plumbing comes out of the fresh water tank in the basement at the back of my truck camper and it is only about 1 foot long. You can visually inspect the entire drain line and there is no obvious problem. I was thinking about "snaking" the drain somehow but have never done this. What suggestions do you have?

Last edited by sunuvabug; 11-15-2017 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Terminology Edit
Old 10-18-2017, 08:57 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
did you open a sink cold water valve first... vacuum preventing water to flow.

or upper tank vent is blocked.

more knowledgeable people should be long soon.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:50 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,667 Likes on 2,740 Posts
My fresh water tank drains OK without any faucets open. If you're going to poke something up the drain be sure to use something soft so you don't damage anything. Maybe a wood dowel? It if isn't a straight run then be gentle. I can't imagine what would be in there blocking water.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:34 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by sunuvabug
I just winterized my truck camper. When I went to drain my fresh water tank, nothing came out. I ended up using the onboard water pump to drain it. I'm thinking the drain line is somehow blocked? ... or the valve is not functioning as it should?

The drain valve plumbing comes out of the fresh water tank in the basement at the back of my truck camper and it is only about 1 foot long. You can visually inspect the entire drain line and there is no obvious problem. I was thinking about "snaking" the drain somehow but have never done this. What suggestions do you have?
Not at all unusual, if you are depending on gravity to drain the system (which I do not recommend). Don't expect to get much out of some of them unless you are going to blow out the system under pressure. It just can vary a tremendous amount. I never worried about it, winterized hundreds of campers, and never had a problem. I never relied on them because I knew I could never trust them. Either use an air compressor or pump RV antifreeze through your system.

Just my experience with them,

Steve

Old 10-18-2017, 12:44 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
I use a 30psi regulated portable air compressor... to blow out all water from the system.. but that's me.

mother nature and I do not get along very well.. aka gravity ...

Old 10-18-2017, 01:08 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford
I use a 30psi regulated portable air compressor... to blow out all water from the system.. but that's me.

mother nature and I do not get along very well.. aka gravity ...
I do about the same usually. You can bump the air pressure up to 60 psi with no problem, if you want and I have seen the manufacturers testing at 90 psi.

Steve

Old 10-18-2017, 02:17 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
I do about the same usually. You can bump the air pressure up to 60 psi with no problem, if you want and I have seen the manufacturers testing at 90 psi.

Steve
good to know... Thank You.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:07 AM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Not at all unusual, if you are depending on gravity to drain the system (which I do not recommend). Don't expect to get much out of some of them unless you are going to blow out the system under pressure. It just can vary a tremendous amount. I never worried about it, winterized hundreds of campers, and never had a problem. I never relied on them because I knew I could never trust them. Either use an air compressor or pump RV antifreeze through your system.

Just my experience with them,

Steve
The drain pipe is at the very bottom of the fresh water tank ... and in the past, getting a good flow was never a problem. I've not used the air pressure approach previously but may invest in the proper coupler to do this. It sounds like people hook up their air compressor to their fresh water intake connection?

Old 10-19-2017, 07:22 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
The drain on the tank is not called a "low point drain". It is simply the drain for the tank and is not connected to anything else. Is there water in the tank? I would guess not. If you run the water pump does it pump water? Using an air compressor to pressurize the system will have no impact on that drain if it is connected only to the tank.

Steve

Old 11-01-2017, 11:48 AM
northwindone
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I am having the same issue with my fresh water drain on my Jayco. I was dumping the tanks to lighten up the trailer to put it on jack stands for tires and bearings. I haven't looked into it in depth yet, but it seems something is clogging it. I left it open and it kept dripping slowly for a day or two, not sure if the tank is actually empty yet or not as I just continued on.

I'm planning on sanitizing my water system this weekend to get ready for a Thanksgiving boondocking trip, so I'll update on what I find. I'm assuming it will be a simple fix as it's just a 4" length of hose with a valve connected to the bottom of the tank.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:09 PM
ibdagriz
Tuned
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Possibly hook up and rock it back and forth a bit? Might loosen up things if they need to be loosened up.

Griz

Old 11-14-2017, 09:57 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Blow into it.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:39 AM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
I have low pressure 40 or so PSI blown the lines and have done the pump down method. It was fine either way. My SoP was close off the Hot water By pass. Drain down the hot water. Remove the 2 plugs (tank and the low point) and kick on the pump until empty. Re cap and pump just about 3 gallons of Marine/RV -50 F A/F through the system. I tend to start at the further point of the lines which is a spray hose connection in the back the trailer and work forward to the bathroom which is right next. Tub sink toilet. Then to the kitchen and check the water pump as I have the A/F filler port there. Add a bit to the drains. I use about 2 1/2 gallons on my 30 footer. My dad uses about 2 gallons on his 15 foot hybrid.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:28 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by wrvond
Blow into it.

I was suggesting you get underneath the camper, remove the drain cap, and blow into the drain line. If anything was in the tank that has settled over the drain hole, this should clear it away and allow the water to come out full stream (at least until it gets plugged again).
This applies equally to a truck camper.

Old 11-23-2017, 01:30 PM
welove2drive
5th Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
A wasp or spider could have easily plugged the line with a nest.

Quick Reply: No Water Out Of Fresh Water Drain