1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Van dying at 1/2 tank 2000 e350 5.4l gas

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 06:49 PM
Jordanp
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Van dying at 1/2 tank 2000 e350 5.4l gas

So the past 2 times my tank has gotten almost to 1/2 a tank. More like just under 3/4. The van has suptered till it dies, exactly like it would if it was running out of fuel.

Both times I coasted into a gas station and filled it up, about 12 - 13 gallons both times and it runs perfectly fine.

I pulled the codes last time and it was p0232 but it had actually shut down while driving.

where should I look first.. I REALLY don't want to drop the tank. 1st time it happened was on a long drive. Last time it was 20 min into a 30 min drive.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:24 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This a regular cargo van, or club wagon?

Should have a 35 gallon mid-ship tank?

Your only filling up with 12-13 gallons, about a 1/3 of the tank.

Must be a problem with the intank fuel pump/pick-up. Maybe the sock filter is plugged up or folded up?

I've had fuel pumps go bad, where you could drive 20-30 minutes, and it would sputter and spit, and pulling off and letting the pump cool down, from over heating, got me back to home base, for a pump change out.

Next time this happens, let the van sit for about 20 minutes, and see if it re-starts and runs, that will tell you the pump is shot.

You sure your getting a Code 232?? = 232 - PCM Detected Coil 1, 2, 3 Or 4 Primary Circuit Failure (EI)

Old 10-17-2017, 07:39 PM
Jordanp
New User
Yes, my van has the 35 gal tank

It's a chubwagon

It instantly restarted after I fueled it. Couldn't have taken longer than 5min.

Yes I am getting P0232 - P0232 High Voltage Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit

I am worried it is the sock filter plugged up or something the only strange thing is that it happened with the exact same fuel used. It would mean I'd have to drop the tank.. no fun.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:37 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
I'm sure with you adding 12 gallons of cold fuel from a ground tank will cool the pump down quicker.

No choice but to drop the tank and check out the sock filter, but I would plan on replacing the pump while you have it down.

Old 10-18-2017, 04:21 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Jordanp

It's a chubwagon
Chubwagon!
hahahahahhahah!!!

Old 10-18-2017, 06:46 AM
Rick1025
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I had the same problem years ago with a 95 E350. The culprit was an aftermarket pump. Now I pay the extra $ and use only original Ford pumps.Never another problem and they last!! The aftermarket pumps would fail within 2 yrs.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:44 AM
Jordanp
New User
Originally Posted by Rick1025
I had the same problem years ago with a 95 E350. The culprit was an aftermarket pump. Now I pay the extra $ and use only original Ford pumps.Never another problem and they last!! The aftermarket pumps would fail within 2 yrs.
Not REALLY want I wanted to hear

Is there any way to test the pump to see if it is going bad. Like I said it runs perfect until it gets to about 2/3 of a tank. Then acts EXACTLY like its out of fuel. It sputters along until it finally dies.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:49 AM
jeffreyclay
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Im50fast
Chubwagon!
hahahahahhahah!!!
Them's fightin' words!

Old 10-18-2017, 10:42 AM
Jordanp
New User
Question: Could a vacuum leak cause some of these problems?? The vacuum diagram seems to indicate that the fuel pump/tank is tied into the vacuum system. I have had codes that indicate a vacuum leak and also when giving the van hard throttle the AC vents go to the defrost mode, indicating there is a problem with the vacuum system or a leak. Any thoughts?

Old 10-19-2017, 08:12 AM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Rick1025
Agree........But, I got a pump/sending unit from a truck dealer, after about 5 months, seamed to have the same problem, only recourse was to buy another $325 pump from the dealer, have the old one bench tested, and maybe get a refund? At 11 months, on a road trip, the pump failed, had a local mechanic change it out with a Napa unit, yea, another $325, took the unit back to the dealer, 10 days before the 1 year warranty ran out, and 2 weeks later got a check in the mail for the refund

Just saying........not all parts are "perfect".

Old 10-19-2017, 08:19 AM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Not REALLY want I wanted to hear

Is there any way to test the pump to see if it is going bad. Like I said it runs perfect until it gets to about 2/3 of a tank. Then acts EXACTLY like its out of fuel. It sputters along until it finally dies.
I think you did test it, driving 20 minutes, and the pump dies, let it sit to cool down, or add cold fuel, and when the pump is cooled, it runs again.

Few of us have posted our experience with this, giving you a quick fix to your problem, you could keep reaching out and grabbing straws to solve the problem if you like.

Plus, this is another reason that you should not let the tank get lower than 1/4 full, as the gas keep the pump cool while it's running. Proven fact.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:25 AM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Question: Could a vacuum leak cause some of these problems?? The vacuum diagram seems to indicate that the fuel pump/tank is tied into the vacuum system. I have had codes that indicate a vacuum leak and also when giving the van hard throttle the AC vents go to the defrost mode, indicating there is a problem with the vacuum system or a leak. Any thoughts?

Not really, what your looking at is the "Fuel Gases Vapor Re-circulation system"

Yes, the engine vacuum provides "suction" for this system, but it is not tied into the actual engine vacuum system. If the rubber vacuum lines (and plastic lines) become cracked/rotted, leaking, that's a issue to address also, as you might notice some senors not working correctly, or a high idle cause by a "vacuum leak"

If your experiencing a defroster mode at hard throttle, then you do have a vacuum leak, or a problem with the blend door servo motor, which operates from engine vacuum, OR a problem with the vacuum storage canister leaking.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:54 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Not to be a turd in the punchbowl, but in my long life I have seen a couple fuel pickup lines break off part way down...so the part of the tank below the break is simply not picked up.

Remote chance, but there it is...if it is the case then rust is probably present and you need a new tank.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:30 PM
Jordanp
New User
Originally Posted by RenoHuskerDu
Not to be a turd in the punchbowl, but in my long life I have seen a couple fuel pickup lines break off part way down...so the part of the tank below the break is simply not picked up.

Remote chance, but there it is...if it is the case then rust is probably present and you need a new tank.
Thanks for droppin that turd. I have a feeling this may be the case. The fuel I filled up was exactly the same both times.
That being said i am in TX and rust is not something we really deal with down here. It would seem something like that happened though.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:22 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RenoHuskerDu

Valid point, but with the sending units with the pump is in the bottom of the tank, unlikely, But, I have heard of the rubber line from the pump to the outlet coming loose, or off, causing fuel pressure problems.

His problem seams to be an overheating fuel pump, that's shutting down after driving some time (20 minutes).

Quick Reply: Van dying at 1/2 tank 2000 e350 5.4l gas