1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Quick question on first time oil change....

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 01:33 PM
L-ight
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Quick question on first time oil change....

I read the write up and it seems pretty straight forward...

Purchase 15 quarts of 15w40 Motorcraft Diesel oil

Purchase Motorcraft oil filter

drain oil

remove filter

add 2 quarts into new oil filter

then add 12-13 quarts into crankcase

startup and let idle for a few mins

check dip stick and add if neccesary

Now my next question is do I also need to change the fuel filter? I believe this was done on the last change. I am getting 380-400 miles to a tank. So not really suffering mpg. Can I just wait till next oil change? Truck only has 83k miles on it (2003).

Old 10-16-2017, 01:47 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it is a new to you truck, change the fuel filter just so you know for yourself what is and is not. They are cheap, plus you will verify clean fuel if nothing else. You don't NEED to use Motorcraft oil but it won't hurt as long as it is the proper stuff. Been a lot of talk about the new specs for oil lately, so do a little homework.

Old 10-16-2017, 01:49 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
On my first oil change for any "new to me" vehicle, I change the oil twice... the first time with a lesser expensive oil and cheap filter, run it for a couple days, then change it again with a quality synthetic and reputable filter (as long as it has not shown that it's leaking anywhere).

Old 10-16-2017, 01:55 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,461 Likes on 2,851 Posts
Originally Posted by F250_
On my first oil change for any "new to me" vehicle, I change the oil twice... the first time with a lesser expensive oil and cheap filter, run it for a couple days, then change it again with a quality synthetic and reputable filter (as long as it has not shown that it's leaking anywhere).
This is great advice and what I do as well. I also went through and changed all (except coolant which went with a water pump) of the other fluids once I got it home.

Old 10-16-2017, 01:58 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I like to puncture a hole in the outgoing oil filter and drain it before removal. That filter can be hard to get off so prepare yourself in the event that it doesn't want to budge. I tighten mine to contact + 1/4 turn on all vehicles, never lost one, always comes off for me.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:40 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
^^^ What he said. The filter is heavy with nearly 2 quarts in it, plus the oil within the oil cooler will drain out all over it once you crack it off the seal. Makes a real mess.

If you're going to do the fuel filter, find the end of the drain line from the filter housing (steel tube, ending just below the front of the pass side exhaust manifold), slip some hose over it - doesn't need to be tight as you should be able to get a few inches on it, I use some old 5/8" heater hose - and drain the fuel filter housing into a catch can, about a pint. The drain valve is the yellow handle on the back side of the filter housing.

There are two types of fuel filters for our trucks, the Ford style, which does NOT come with a new lid, and various aftermarket styles that do come with a lid. They are not interchangeable. If the PO replaced the FF with a non-OEM style, you won't be able to use an OEM filter as it won't fit with the non-OEM lid.

Edit: Maybe this isn't true with all non-OEM filter/lids, but it was with whatever came with my e99. I eventually got another Ford lid with OEM filters. The OEM Ford lid has a 1/2" square drive in the center, but it's probably rounded out, which is why some aftermarkets come with new lids. Typically they do not have the 1/2" square drive in the center.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:54 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Also, once the filter element has drained to a slow drizzle, crack it loose so it vents and finishes it's drain, and then slip a one gallon zip lock bag around it before you remove it so that it's easy to just zip the bag closed and drop it in the garbage with a flair of "No fuss, no muss!"

I've also found a drill to be more easily effective than a nail on creating the bottom drain hole in the filter casing, but you need to fill the bit's cutting grooves with grease so the oil doesn't run down the bit onto your drill when it breaks through.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:00 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
I got the biggest center punch at HF, and purposely filed it to a sharp point on the grinder just for this purpose. And Napa now has Mobil DelVac and Chevron Delo 400 on sale (page 2).

Old 10-16-2017, 04:33 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by L-ight
add 2 quarts into new oil filter

then add 12-13 quarts into crankcase

startup and let idle for a few mins

check dip stick and add if neccesary
I'll add just shy of 3 1/2 one gallon jugs of oil in (pre-lube the filter and in the crankcase), run it, then top it off.

Now my next question is do I also need to change the fuel filter? I believe this was done on the last change. I am getting 380-400 miles to a tank. So not really suffering mpg. Can I just wait till next oil change? Truck only has 83k miles on it (2003).
83K!

I change my fuel filter every other oil change.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:45 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,461 Likes on 2,851 Posts
Truck only has 83k miles on it (2003).
Do you have pictures of the youngster truck? We like pictures...

Old 10-16-2017, 06:55 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I like to poke a hole in the bottom of the filter to drain the oil too, but only after I break it loose with an oil filter wrench and know it will just spin off.

That way in case things get ugly, at least the filter is still intact and I can move the truck and deal with it later.

For the oil, I always just did the 15 qt change. Somewhere between 1 - 2 quarts in the oil filter and the rest in the crank case, but it's not absolutely mandatory to pre-fill the oil filter. Wait for the gauge on the dash to respond to pressure before you put in in gear.

For the fuel filter, I've always followed 15,000 mile change intervals using Racor filters.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:05 AM
L-ight
More Turbo
Originally Posted by hydro man 17
If it is a new to you truck, change the fuel filter just so you know for yourself what is and is not. They are cheap, plus you will verify clean fuel if nothing else. You don't NEED to use Motorcraft oil but it won't hurt as long as it is the proper stuff. Been a lot of talk about the new specs for oil lately, so do a little homework.

My reply will apply to both of you quoted above me..

I bought this truck from my dad. He was the original owner (bought in Nov 2002) and always took it to the Ford dealership for repairs/oil changes. I took it off his hands at 68k miles which was when the last fuel filter was replaced. I drove it for a year before buying it from him. He gave me one hell of a deal on it so why not? I have changed the oil once, but took it into the dealership as well. When I saw a $150+ bill from them I was shocked. I always changed my oil on my other vehicles as it is very easy and straight forward. I just know nothing much about diesels. Hence why I came here.

Also I am sure the original alternator just crapped out on me yesterday. Truck would not start. Dead battery symptoms. Took it to Autozone. Both batteries checked out good. Alternator came back as low idle voltage. I don't think it is charging the batteries well enough. Getting that fixed today after work (doing it myself). You guys think I should change the belt as well? I mean it's 15 years old lol.

Originally Posted by Sous
Do you have pictures of the youngster truck? We like pictures...
Sure do. Pictures were taken a few months ago.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:38 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
You guys think I should change the belt as well? I mean it's 15 years old lol.
Definitely!

Old 10-17-2017, 12:16 PM
F250_
Hotshot
With knowing the vehicle history, no need for double oil change at all.

Change the belt.

You're a fortunate man with a kind father. Three of my sons regularly ask me if I'm ready to sell my truck, but the answer remains "no" for now.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:20 PM
L-ight
More Turbo
Originally Posted by brian42
Definitely!
Will do.
With knowing the vehicle history, no need for double oil change at all.

Change the belt.
Well the last fuel filter change was around 68k miles. I changed the oil since then but not the filter and that was around 75k miles. I don't drive the truck hard or tow anything. So it is ok going up to 10k miles before an oil change?

Quick Reply: Quick question on first time oil change....