6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

7.3 owner on the fence of a 6.7 ~ Pro's-Cons?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 10:18 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
7.3 owner on the fence of a 6.7 ~ Pro's-Cons?

I am recently getting curious about the 6.7's. I have owned my 7.3 for a long time, and had others before it. I basically know NOTHING about the 6.7, other than the fact it has lots more power, requires DEF fluid, and has a much better transmission.
I'm curious about the Good, the Bad, the UGLY. I have heard that the 2011's have a possible issue with valves? If you don't mind.....educate me on some of the great things, and the NOT so great things about the 6.7! Thanks

Old 10-09-2017, 07:00 AM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
Travis, My 12 has been flawless. Disliked the puny fuel tank, so I put in a Titan.
Problem solved. You will get 100 different opinions on which year to stay away from. There are lots of original 11 trucks running around here with 150k and up. still going strong. some have been deleted, some not.
I have heard lots of complaints on the navigation screen in the dash.
Mine doesn't have one so it's not a problem.
Get the newest one you can afford and enjoy it. You won't regret it.
Have fun shopping !

Old 10-09-2017, 08:30 AM
razehm
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't worry about the DEF. It's cheap and you don't have to fill all that often. More and More pumps are installing DEF tanks. I always say the best rig in the world in the one that is paid off. So if you aren't sure DO NOT go and test drive one. You will buy, I'm sure of it. If you do buy then you will get the advantage of newer technology. Do a little research on whatever you want to buy, because any truck can be a money pit, and you will be very very happy.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:25 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
The payment part of the decision isn't what bothers me. It's just I don't wanna jump into a truck that requires a ton more attention/maintenance. My 7.3 is running great, but will need a few things addressed most likely soon, as I am tipping over 215k on it. That isn't really why I'm considering the newer truck, I just am getting to that curious stage of "what ifs"

There are a couple of 6.7's for sale locally, one with 98k, the other with 122k. I bought my truck in 04 with 102k on it, so in 13 years, I've only racked up 110k miles, and that rate is on the SLOW side of things these days. I just want to continue to have a reliable truck, that I don't have to wonder if it is going to crank when I'm out in the boonies on a hunt, or miles from home at the lake....

Old 10-09-2017, 10:36 AM
camminich
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think for someone with experience on owning a D, the 6.7 is an easy upgrade (well except for that cost thing). The entire SD platform it just a great example of continued refinement from the ~98 to 16 builds. As the truck has evolved and needs change Ford really has tried to make the 6.7 their gold standard to set them apart from the other brands.

As noted, and you'll hear from others, the first few years had a higher chance of turbo, and possibly even bearing damage. But there are also lots of people with those 11 to 13 with no issues at all. It seems the 14 to 16s have much less issues, but even still you will hear people with DEF and radiator troubles. Not necessarily engine troubles, but just other mechanics of the truck itself.

In 2016 alone Ford built over 300,000 6.7 engines, and like everything there are always a few built before break or on a Friday (just using the old stereotype, not really true anymore), and not every truck is free from issues. But with that said I think you'll find most of 6.7 owner/drivers that are thrilled with not only all the "bells and whistles" this truck has, but also just how solid that engine feels, and how well it holds together.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:00 PM
dieseldrive
Tuned
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
One of each

I have a new F350 CCLB Platinum, and 03 CCSB 7.3.

I should also preface my thoughts that I am a mechanic and have done 100% of my own work on the 7.3 since new.

When I ordered the 03 in June of 2002 I had no idea I would keep it this long, but that decision to keep it 15 years was fueled for many years by the reliability issues with the diesel engine options that came behind the Blue Oval for the next 10 years. In about 2013 the 6.7 started getting my attention, but it took me another 3 years to pull the trigger.

The 6.7 is so much smoother and more powerful than my tuned 7.3 that it is hard to believe, but there are still areas where the 7.3 offers real advantages over the 6.7: My 7.3 (which I still have and use some) is more efficient than the 6.7 when towing - it gets a solid 20% better fuel mileage pulling the exact same 5er and the exact same route at the exact same time of year, plus it doesn't require DEF (which as others have stated, isn't a bug deal cost-wise). But it just irritates me to burn more fuel to run cleaner (I don't tow any faster with the 6.7 than I do with the 7.3). I also have serious doubts that the long term total cost of ownership of the 6.7 can compete with the 7.3, I just don't think it can do it! And while the 6.7 is a marvel of engineering and design (Ford did a great job with this engine) there is still something missing (for me). Its probably hard for non-mechanics to understand, but I just have more confidence in the long term reliability of the 7.3 (even at 15 years old with 150,000 miles on it). The 7.3 engine is really a freak of engineering that consistently outlives its design. The 7.3 only has a single sensor that the engine cannot run without (CPS) and it can be replaced in about 10 minutes on the side of the road.

Other points to ponder: The 6.7 is a no-drama towing machine, the 7.3, not so much. You could also say that the 6.7 doesn't have much character - it just goes. I do like towing with the 6.7, but I also like towing with the 7.3, but it is more of a confidence thing - knowing that this is a 500,000 mile plus engine.

When I bought the 16, I fully intended on selling the 7.3, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it - the 03 is in perfect condition (the body and paint on 100% in as good of condition as the 16) and I am willing to admit that I have an emotional attachment to it, to the point that the 16 is listed on Craigslist for sale, and not because I don't like it, but its hard to justify having so much money tied up in trucks (I still have a drive an 89 7.3 IDI as well).

Good luck in making your decision - they are both great trucks. Oh, one more thing, while the 6R 140 tranny is much more dependable than the stock 4R100 (but not a built 4R100), but IMO, Ford didn't get the programming perfect on it (if I end up keeping it, it will be tweaked by DP tuner).

Old 10-09-2017, 06:54 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by dieseldrive

I should also preface my thoughts that I am a mechanic and have done 100% of my own work on the 7.3 since new.

When I ordered the 03 in June of 2002 I had no idea I would keep it this long, but that decision to keep it 15 years was fueled for many years by the reliability issues with the diesel engine options that came behind the Blue Oval for the next 10 years. In about 2013 the 6.7 started getting my attention, but it took me another 3 years to pull the trigger.

The 6.7 is so much smoother and more powerful than my tuned 7.3 that it is hard to believe, but there are still areas where the 7.3 offers real advantages over the 6.7: My 7.3 (which I still have and use some) is more efficient than the 6.7 when towing - it gets a solid 20% better fuel mileage pulling the exact same 5er and the exact same route at the exact same time of year, plus it doesn't require DEF (which as others have stated, isn't a bug deal cost-wise). But it just irritates me to burn more fuel to run cleaner (I don't tow any faster with the 6.7 than I do with the 7.3). I also have serious doubts that the long term total cost of ownership of the 6.7 can compete with the 7.3, I just don't think it can do it! And while the 6.7 is a marvel of engineering and design (Ford did a great job with this engine) there is still something missing (for me). Its probably hard for non-mechanics to understand, but I just have more confidence in the long term reliability of the 7.3 (even at 15 years old with 150,000 miles on it). The 7.3 engine is really a freak of engineering that consistently outlives its design. The 7.3 only has a single sensor that the engine cannot run without (CPS) and it can be replaced in about 10 minutes on the side of the road.

Other points to ponder: The 6.7 is a no-drama towing machine, the 7.3, not so much. You could also say that the 6.7 doesn't have much character - it just goes. I do like towing with the 6.7, but I also like towing with the 7.3, but it is more of a confidence thing - knowing that this is a 500,000 mile plus engine.

When I bought the 16, I fully intended on selling the 7.3, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it - the 03 is in perfect condition (the body and paint on 100% in as good of condition as the 16) and I am willing to admit that I have an emotional attachment to it, to the point that the 16 is listed on Craigslist for sale, and not because I don't like it, but its hard to justify having so much money tied up in trucks (I still have a drive an 89 7.3 IDI as well).

Good luck in making your decision - they are both great trucks. Oh, one more thing, while the 6R 140 tranny is much more dependable than the stock 4R100 (but not a built 4R100), but IMO, Ford didn't get the programming perfect on it (if I end up keeping it, it will be tweaked by DP tuner).

THANK YOU! That is exactly the response I was looking for. This is my 3rd 7.3, and I've had this one since 04. I replaced and upgraded my transmission at 182k, and I have no issues whatsoever now. I am really on the fence......I test drove a nice 2012 F250 crew cab today, and it was a CLEAN truck with only 68k miles. But an out the door price from that dealer after taxes/etc was $37k!!!! That definitely isn't the only thing influencing my decision, but it darn sure isn't helping it haha.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:02 PM
WK15
More Turbo
Received 117 Likes on 75 Posts
If you live in an area that does no emission tested then do a full delete and have a great truck

Old 10-09-2017, 11:45 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by dieseldrive

Yup, this guy said it before me. And a 7.3 with 215k and you're worried about it leaving you stranded in the woods? I wouldn't even sweat it. Give it the TLC it deserves and keep on trucking.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:59 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by WK15
If you live in an area that does no emission tested then do a full delete and have a great truck
I do, and that would definitely be something I'd look into!

Originally Posted by BBslider001
Yup, this guy said it before me. And a 7.3 with 215k and you're worried about it leaving you stranded in the woods? I wouldn't even sweat it. Give it the TLC it deserves and keep on trucking.
I guess I worded it funny lol. It's not my 7.3 I'm worried about leaving me stranded at all......it's the fear of the unknown 6.7. The 7.3 is a very simple animal, I know the newer stuff is VERY dependent on computer sensors......that is my reluctance

Old 10-10-2017, 10:52 AM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
6.7 is a good truck

I really love my 2012. It has always worked for me. It tows great.
If the 7.3 tows what you have with no trouble keep it. These trucks are crazy expensive.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:27 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
What are the advantages of doing a full delete? Does it help both mileage and power? I'm so clueless about the 6.7 I don't even know what you guys get for mileage. My mileage is awful for my 7.3 because I'm lifted on 37's....I quit worrying about mpg's years ago.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:14 PM
swarf_rat
Elder User
I went from a 7.3 I owned for 17 years from new, to a 6.7 also new. Same exact truck (or same as it could be made from the order book at the time).

Pros:
Much more power and torque - no comparison really, the 6.7 is spectacular
Much better transmission
Much quieter, smoother, and no stink

Cons:
Extremely complex to work on $$$
Cost a lot more initially
Harder to modify - complex and already 10 lbs in a 5 lb bag under the hood.

Don't know about reliability yet, the 7.3 was like a stone axe, won't know on the 6.7 for another 15 years. It does have a lot more stuff to go wrong. Fuel economy has been pretty close to the same between them, empty and full. DEF is a non-issue, it uses so little.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:28 PM
JAFO1
Senior User
I have a '97 F350 7.3 and a '15 6.7. I love both, I have no regrets after buying the 6.7.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:58 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Let's see. From my perspective;

The 6.7:
Makes your bank account lighter.
Sucks in MPG department.
Sucks in the department of behind the rear seat storage on a crew cab.
Under rear seat space on crew cab is smaller, but at least you can lock it.
Power seats sit too high and reduce headroom. Sunroof reduces headroom even more so that it becomes an issue if you're tall.
Has a few issues with spun bearings, but they seem to be mostly sorted out by 50k or so.
Less legroom on captains chairs due to the center console taking up the center hump.
Lack of clip on the center console to hold notepad in place.
20" wheels make the ride miserable on rough roads (bouncing almost out of the lane)
Longer, softer springs means the rear end sags if you put it under a heavy load or stare at it too hard.
A fuel system that can cause $10 in damage if it gets some water in it.
A million electronic gizmos just waiting to have a bad day.
I also come from driving a stick shift, so my biggest complaint is when I go to mash on the skinny pedal because I need to get around someone, the delay in response is agonizing. It's almost as if I can count 1 mississippi.............2 mississippi.............. and then it finally wakes up.
Brakes also feel softer to me too, but stopping distance doesn't seem to have changed, so it's likely just a the way it feels thing.

I can't fix the storage issues, but most of the others I can address. I'm not looking for a tuner until I cross the aforementioned 50k or so mark just in case.

Some of the million electronic gizmos are nice. Be sure to get one with power folding and telescoping mirrors if you get one. Forgetting to adjust the mirrors before or after hooking a trailer is no longer a concern, and going through the drive through at the bank, the power fold option comes in handy. I actually use drive through's now that I can hear what the folks on the other end are saying (well at least some of the time. Some of those speakers sound like Charlie Brown's teacher)

Quick Reply: 7.3 owner on the fence of a 6.7 ~ Pro's-Cons?