1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Letcher County Area Technology Center Project 1956 f100

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 01:50 PM
egp1972
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Letcher County Area Technology Center Project 1956 f100

Hello to everyone,

I am an instructor at the Letcher County ATC and we are attempting our first project. The idea is to have a project that students with good attendance and a good attitude will be able to call their own.

We have asked businesses in our small community to donate to our project and we have received a warm response so far. We have got enough donations to purchase a 1956 f100. The truck has a really solid cab, the bed sides are solid and it has good fenders. The rest needs work or replaced. The truck has an engine but it is incomplete, its a 292 y-block.

We are putting this out there so we can reach some people that might have a part or advice or a way to get our project on its feet. I have attached some photos, and if any one would like to check us out we are on Facebook(Letcher County ATC Hot Rod Project). As they say check us out an like us. Thanks in advance.

Daryn

Attached Images      
Old 09-26-2017, 02:48 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
Wow. You guys didn't waste any time in joining the absolute best forum out there for these trucks. I was standing on the softball field Sunday evening when you brought it in. That security alarm is LOUD.

It looks to be a very solid truck from the pics.

To all the 56 guys on this forum: These guys are very stand-up people who truly and genuinely try to help these kids learn skills at the vocational school in my hometown. We live in a very economically-challenged area, and these kids have to fight for everything they have like that. IF you have a set of doors better than the ones pictured, maybe a tailgate, rear bumper, engine parts, etc. that you ever considered donating, this is your chance. You get the picture. In the meantime, they'll need your experience and ideas as the project moves along.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:20 PM
rico56
More Turbo
Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts
Hi Daryn,

what a cool idea! I wish I had a teacher who teached us in rebuilding vintage cars! . Please keep us up to date with the progress and let's have pics...

I bet, you'll find useful informations in this forum and always a good advise.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:20 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,120 Likes on 2,649 Posts
Welcome to the forum , this would be a great time for some of the vendors to pitch in...

Old 09-26-2017, 04:30 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Many of us on here have been to Letcher County in our old trucks! Keep us posted on how you're progressing.

Here we were at the Pine Mtn Grille for lunch.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:49 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 835 Likes on 473 Posts
This is a great was to learn and get kids involved with the old car hobby. I'd like to know more about the end result goal, rat rod , driver, restomod, restored to original?

I'm sure I can be of help in a few ways, either with parts donations or info 330-289-0380 Kevin

Old 09-26-2017, 08:50 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 757 Likes on 369 Posts
Welcome to FTE! This is awesome! Kids need skill like this. What a great opportunity to learn a variety of skills. The lessons learned here will go beyond just old vehicle restoration. I'm on the school board in my town and many times I have stressed the need for classes teaching skills like these. Not all kids are fit for college and we need people that can go out after high school and jump right in to the workforce with knowledge.

What are your plans for it? I vote for stock for a couple of reasons. 1. I like stock. 2. Generally, it is cheaper and easier to go stock.

I would recommend you get this book on disc. https://www.hipoparts.com/1948-56-fo...ts-catalog-cd/
Also a shop manual.

Let us know what parts you need.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:09 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
What a Great idea to get kids involved in our hobby.
Gotta follow your progress.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:11 AM
egp1972
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the interest. The direction of the project is still unclear. Our project is based on donations, so we got enough money to buy the truck and now we plan to have a car show to raise some funds for the project. The idea right now is suspension(mustang II), wheels and tires, and drivetrain. Beyond that we will just have to wait and see.

As for the parts we need; Bumpers (front and rear), panel that goes over the radiator, running boards, park lights, Headlight trim, and probably more. I am going to try and fix the doors. We will see how it goes.

I might not have mentioned this in my original post but the truck will be documented through out our process and will be for sale. The money we get from this will be used to fund another project next school year. Hopefully if this works it will fund its self after this one.

Thanks,
Daryn

Old 09-27-2017, 08:35 AM
rico56
More Turbo
Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts
Thumbs up, Daryn - great idea!

Old 09-27-2017, 04:17 PM
CBeav
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Tag on my truck, you didn't say which Letcher county. ;-)

Old 09-27-2017, 05:09 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by CBeav
Tag on my truck, you didn't say which Letcher county. ;-)

That's the problem with tags from that time period in Kentucky. They stamped them with specific county names. As a result, it becomes practically impossible to find the year you're looking for with your county name.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:40 PM
pintoplumber
Fleet Mechanic
Received 549 Likes on 264 Posts
Don't buy tires if it won't be on the road for a while. They'll be old before you're ready to use them. Dennis

Thanks for all the interest. The direction of the project is still unclear. Our project is based on donations, so we got enough money to buy the truck and now we plan to have a car show to raise some funds for the project. The idea right now is suspension(mustang II), wheels and tires, and drivetrain. Beyond that we will just have to wait and see.

As for the parts we need; Bumpers (front and rear), panel that goes over the radiator, running boards, park lights, Headlight trim, and probably more. I am going to try and fix the doors. We will see how it goes.

I might not have mentioned this in my original post but the truck will be documented through out our process and will be for sale. The money we get from this will be used to fund another project next school year. Hopefully if this works it will fund its self after this one.

Thanks,
Daryn[/QUOTE]

Old 09-27-2017, 07:07 PM
Aloha-boy
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome!!! I went to electronics class in high school... part of me wished I went to auto class.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:42 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 835 Likes on 473 Posts
Are you planning on going to the f100 supernationals in October 5-7? It's in pigeon forge Tennessee and I will be set up there and could bring some donation items as shipping is expensive. I could bring the hood latch panel, radiator support, intake manifold. Maybe a few other items. All you have to do is pick them up at the show

Quick Reply: Letcher County Area Technology Center Project 1956 f100