1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Trailer tow FAIL! Good electric brake controller?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 11:20 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Trailer tow FAIL! Good electric brake controller?

So I go to pick up this enclosed cargo trailer I'm buying, and I can't get a signal to the electric brakes. Aside from the wiring on the trailer being bad (which I fixed), the brake controller on Stinky is a no-go. I went so far as to popping the top off my cheap-O electric brake controller (being an electronic technician and all) to read the signals in there. Dudes, it's a dud. The trailer is still parked at the seller's home until I can tow it safely.

I seriously considered replacing the cheap-O with another cheap-O... because it would be plug and play. Once I came back to my senses, I'm thinking I should get one that automatically proportions the brakes according to conditions, or a bump up with the buttons when loaded. I also understand some of these units can detect when a trailer light is out... not a bad thought.

I'm not looking for anything that needs a computer interface with an app to operate it... but I do want a tough/reliable unit that is at least easy to set and forget. I already read through some existing threads on this, but a lot of the information is old - and newer devices have entered the market. On top of that, devices released a few years ago now have their reputations locked down.

So... what's good?

Old 09-25-2017, 11:24 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Tekonsha Prodigy P3.
Amazon Amazon

I don't know if it detects trailer light problems or not, but it senses changes in inertia and applies the brakes proportionally.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:27 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Originally Posted by andym
Tekonsha Prodigy P3. https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-9019...6356495&sr=8-1

I don't know if it detects trailer light problems or not, but it senses changes in inertia and applies the brakes proportionally.
This, I bought one a year ago and it is great. You can get a direct plug in harness for it too.

Edit: This is the plug and play harness I was talking about.
Amazon Amazon

Old 09-25-2017, 03:50 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
I use the Tekonsha Primus IQ, proportionate brake controller. Three levels of boost, pushbutton brake actuator, and simple diagnostics on the screen.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/262750436593

NEW Tekonsha Primus IQ 90160 Electronic Trailer Brake Control For 1-3 Axles

Old 09-25-2017, 04:33 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Depends on what your buying one for Rich, lost the signature.

Kelsey hayes is what I run in my e99 and have all the variables.

Denny

Old 09-25-2017, 04:36 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Just got your sig on post, (no idea) but it's going to be an upgrade from what you had depending if the trucks right. As you know, a seldom used product seldom works correctly. You have the wherewithall to figure it out.

Denny

Old 09-25-2017, 04:40 PM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a p3 and do not really like it. It will not apply 100% brake power pulling the gooseneck unless I manually activate it. Even with boost set to 3 and max voltage set it just doesn't apply full voltage. The brakes on that trailer need work but I can feel it working more when I squeeze the lever. Hoping to pull the hubs and investigate after the wedding and before the snow flies.

Works fine on my other trailers but I like the way the old simple one I had worked better.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:27 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
What I've found is regardless of the towing vehicle (done it a million times on electric brakes for camp-grounders around us) they just don't know.

E brakes on a trailer are not self adjusting. Grab a brake adjusting bar. (like 4 bucks) also called a brake spoon, Floor jack under each, crank up until you feel a drag, back it down 2 clicks. If you have a weak system you can have a helper in the cab use the brake KOEO and go up until you have heavy resistance and then back off a few (down.) Trailer brakes are left and right sided, (always up for spreading the shoes, down to retract).

Every controller is different. I tow our 30 5'r with my E99 with a kelsey, 2008 has fomoco built in. Two different animals. The important thing to remember is what is this married to as a tow vehicle. The 08 has serious gain due to not being aged or unmolested by the elements.

I have to back them off on the newer truck but adjust with the older. NBD

Just putting that out there.

Denny

Old 09-25-2017, 06:01 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I would have brought that empty cargo trailer home without the brakes. But I'm crazy like that.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:20 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
I would have brought that empty cargo trailer home without the brakes.
There is a good chance I would have too.
I have a different brand controller, but plan to install the P3 some day.
The P3 can handle electric or electric over hydraulic. The controller I have cannot.
I watch them on Ebay, just have not clicked buy in now, yet.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:46 PM
Stebs
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My vote for the p3 as well.. one feature of it that I like is that it backs off the brakes when you're stopped, and also backs off as you back off. Only problem with a proportional controller such as this is if your vehicle brakes would suddenly go out, you'll have to manually apply the trailer brakes...

the trailer light feed is not in the harness that your controller plugs into as far as I know, therefore, it would take a fancy and most likely wireless type controller to get a feature of telling you when your trailer lights are out. We have side mirrors on our trucks for that "feature" anyway. And I don't know about you, but I don't believe anyone could ever convince me to rely on a wireless to control my trailer brakes...

Old 09-25-2017, 07:48 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
My Tekonsha Prodigy still working great years later. I think the controller cable pigtail was in the glove box new.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:38 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
I have the Prodigy 2 but plan on upgrading to the 3.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:54 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Draw tite isn't a bad option either. I had one of them fail on me back in the late 90's after several years of use. Went to the dealer in search of a new one that might not fail and when I mentioned the old one failed, he said bring it in and I'll give you a new one for free. They stand behind them. Don't know if they still do that, but it made in impression. I also liked you didn't have to worry about leveling them.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:07 AM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I have heard nothing but good things about the prodigy 3 and plan to buy one soon to replace the older one in my truck.

Quick Reply: Trailer tow FAIL! Good electric brake controller?