2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Not a fan of backflip right now

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 07:30 PM
191124x7
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not a fan of backflip right now

So after evacuating FL with our bugout gear in blue tarps last week, we decided it was time to take the plunge and spend $1000 on a backflip.

Ordered a G2 for the 2017 8' SD -- for delivery today (which is important because we need it tomorrow), it arrived today on schedule (2 day shipping cost paid.)

Except in their rush to fortune and fame, backflip didn't pack my clamps. I called and asked how that could happen, and I was told, "the boxes are packed by humans, and humans make mistakes."

She said she would overnight, and I told her that was not good enough. I needed them for morning delivery. She said she would do that.

I'll report back if it really happens, or if they have completely let me down.

Sheesh.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:11 PM
brickman
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
It can be unbelievable how such basic stuff like that can be overlooked. I can sympathize with your frustration especially when it is something that has to be ordered and delivered.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:17 PM
Hackenbush
Laughing Gas

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts
Ask for James Caldwell and He will go out of his way to make it right for your lost time. They have sent me 2 new replacement covers @ no charge and the third was the charm. Gotta say their quality control has gone way down hill lately.

Love my Wilson Combat X-TAC Elite Compact.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:45 PM
191124x7
Elder User
Originally Posted by Hackenbush
Ask for James Caldwell and He will go out of his way to make it right for your lost time. They have sent me 2 new replacement covers @ no charge and the third was the charm. Gotta say their quality control has gone way down hill lately.

Love my Wilson Combat X-TAC Elite Compact.
Thanks! and I trust Wilson as well. My EDC is the carry comp for super-accurate 2nd shot placement. Often through the same hole on paper targets!

Old 09-19-2017, 08:47 PM
191124x7
Elder User
Originally Posted by brickman
It can be unbelievable how such basic stuff like that can be overlooked. I can sympathize with your frustration especially when it is something that has to be ordered and delivered.
Yep. Sad to say that it happens too often. A few weeks ago, I ordered a downrod for a ceiling fan and received a perfectly sealed empty box, LOL.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:16 PM
BLUENGRAY05FX4
Senior User
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I ordered a Bakflip Revolver X2 and when I received it, it had no hardware, no clamps, no seals... I called and the said they would overnight the hardware kit. The next day, I received a hardware kit for a HARD FOLDING tonneau! And still no clamps!

This time I called and wasn't so nice. I started my rant by apologizing right up front for what I might say. I told her Bakflip charges one hell of a lot of money to not have someone in their packaging department with a checklist to make sure everything that is supposed to be in the box is in there.
All she said she could do was overnight the correct kit. The next day I was finally able to install my cover, which I am very happy with.

Good luck!

Old 09-19-2017, 09:24 PM
191124x7
Elder User
Originally Posted by BLUENGRAY05FX4
I ordered a Bakflip Revolver X2 and when I received it, it had no hardware, no clamps, no seals... I called and the said they would overnight the hardware kit. The next day, I received a hardware kit for a HARD FOLDING tonneau! And still no clamps!

This time I called and wasn't so nice. I started my rant by apologizing right up front for what I might say. I told her Bakflip charges one hell of a lot of money to not have someone in their packaging department with a checklist to make sure everything that is supposed to be in the box is in there.
All she said she could do was overnight the correct kit. The next day I was finally able to install my cover, which I am very happy with.

Good luck!
Thanks. I don't understand how a simple act of picking parts from a checklist and putting them in a box can be so hard; but evidently it is. Sigh.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:29 PM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The fact they made a mistake and are over nighting parts really should be considered exceptional customer service.

Yes we all make mistakes and people who correct them in my books are good people.

Back flip was good to me even when mistakes where made. Same with my dealer who I fought with for 6 months to fix my truck.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:02 AM
USSenator
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 191124x7
Thanks. I don't understand how a simple act of picking parts from a checklist and putting them in a box can be so hard; but evidently it is. Sigh.
Do you think they hire rocket scientists for that job? (Even if they did, those folks would get bored and miss more stuff...) They probably do have a checklist, but it's faster to just go from memory. It's a low-skill job and probably not worth the $15+ per hour it costs to have someone follow a checklist, or have dual controls, for the few that are actually missed.

Once they move the manufacturing to China, and have robots do the task, all will be well.

Then when you call for a compliant, you can speak to someone in India, and they will repeat what you asked several times, and ship the product.

And you will wonder why nothing is made in the USA anymore...

Old 09-20-2017, 07:35 AM
Steve White
New User
Personally, I cannot recommend Bakflip at the moment. I'm having a heck of a time trying to get help with an MX4 I purchased a few weeks ago. It leaks massively. Massively at the joints in the panels, horribly at the tailgate and pretty bad at the front. I contacted them about this almost 2 weeks ago, received a response asking for my address, then radio silence. (Kinda like my current experience with Tasca Parts)

Luckily I purchased from Amazon as I needed it fast before our Maine vacation. I'll likely request a return next week if I don't get any response. For what the cover cost, I expect top notch customer service. Ain't getting it yet.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:52 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Different stroke for different folks. I understand people can have less that satisfactory experiences with various products and services. For those that expect all products and service to be flawless 100% of the time I've got a big disappointment for you. It generally happen when you in a bind and when you can't wait that things like this happens.

I can't say anything but good things about my experiences with BakFlip products. I've had them on my last 4 pickups and have been complete satisfied.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:07 AM
stewy604
Elder User
Originally Posted by 191124x7
I ordered a downrod for a ceiling fan and received a perfectly sealed empty box, LOL.

Wow, haha!

Old 09-20-2017, 01:21 PM
Hackenbush
Laughing Gas

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts
Old 09-20-2017, 01:27 PM
191124x7
Elder User
Funny the mix of responses here. I can't believe anyone would make excuses for failure and slip-shod execution. In fact I do expect perfection every time. They charge 100% of the price they charge for every unit, and that cost includes a perfect experience. To be clear:

IF I pay 100% of what they ask for 100% of what they promise AND they fail to deliver, THEN I have been cheated UNLESS they compensate me for the % of the failure. Anything to the contrary is to ignore the facts. And I do not appreciate being cheated. I GUARANTEE YOU that if I bought it COD, AND I paid 80% of what I owed, they would not let it go.

You don't see very many companies offering a refund when they screw up. Those that do are awesome in my book. Those that don't are poorly run. Period.

As an update, Backflip is very poorly run from my perspective. Here is where I am as I type:

1. I needed my cover installed by today -- so I paid an extra amount to have it shipped to arrive Tuesday -- which it did.

2. However, there were no clamps. I called, and they said they would ship it out for morning delivery.

3. I did not receive it this morning, so I called just now. They told me they could not find my order by my zip code; so I gave them the order number for the missing clamps.

4. Turns out that the idiot who took my call transposed my zipcode, and so FedEx didn't push it past Tallahassee.

5. Backflip told me it will be delivered tomorrow.

But at this point, who cares. I needed the cover installed this morning. I won't be here tomorrow to even receive the clamps.

They will not refund my expedited shipping cost. They will not refund a portion of my purchase price.

For anyone who wants to defend that, more power to you if that's the way you like to be treated. I, however, expect more.

I'm sure they have many, many customers who have had a great experience -- but as for me...not even close.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:28 PM
191124x7
Elder User
Originally Posted by Hackenbush
yep. exactly. My 'clamps' box is NOT checked, but the Inspected by IS there.

Quick Reply: Not a fan of backflip right now