1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Door "stuff"

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 06:52 PM
GoldCo
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts
Door "stuff"

Taking inventory of what I have/need.

Was missing a door and I suspect the one I acquired was slightly different ('51 maybe?). The vent handle base plate isn't the same nor the upright dividers. Unless it's just the difference of "deluxe" vs standard?

Old 09-19-2017, 06:54 PM
GoldCo
Laughing Gas
I see "anti rattle kits" — are those optional upgrades or just what they call the complete window internals?

Old 09-19-2017, 09:41 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by GoldCo

Taking inventory of what I have/need.

Was missing a door and I suspect the one I acquired was slightly different ('51 maybe?). The vent handle base plate isn't the same nor the upright dividers. Unless it's just the difference of "deluxe" vs standard?

The lower Vent and the right Divider are from a deluxe (with the SS). The door latch is for the Driver side also and has the door key lock. Your missing the passenger side door latch.

The window regulator on the passenger side (top), is missing the crank handle and the crank handle shaft.

Don't see outside door handles or door locks.

I would say all your driver's door parts came from a 51 or a 52 Deluxe

Old 09-19-2017, 09:57 PM
GoldCo
Laughing Gas
thanks, that is helpful...
i noticed that crank handle shaft was missing, too — is that a replaceable part? don't think i've seen that piece by itself yet in the catalogs.

looks like i'm also missing "door glass runs" based on the catalogs — is that a metal piece or just some kind of soft (felt) insert for the glass to go up the door frame? can't tell from the illustrations.

Originally Posted by Moe Craig
The lower Vent and the right Divider are from a deluxe (with the SS). The door latch is for the Driver side also and has the door key lock. Your missing the passenger side door latch.

The window regulator on the passenger side (top), is missing the crank handle and the crank handle shaft.

Don't see outside door handles or door locks.

I would say all your driver's door parts came from a 51 or a 52 Deluxe

Old 09-20-2017, 09:35 AM
Cougar54
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I see "anti rattle kits" — are those optional upgrades or just what they call the complete window internals?
The "anti rattle" kits usually contain the rubber window channel that goes across the top of the door window channel down to the bottom of the latch side window channel. It also contains either the complete divider (the more expensive kits) or just the insert that goes into the divider. The felt window whiskers are also included. The kit has enough pieces to do both doors. They are not optional pieces but are required for proper window operation.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:50 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
thanks, that is helpful...
i noticed that crank handle shaft was missing, too — is that a replaceable part? don't think i've seen that piece by itself yet in the catalogs.

looks like i'm also missing "door glass runs" based on the catalogs — is that a metal piece or just some kind of soft (felt) insert for the glass to go up the door frame? can't tell from the illustrations.

Door Glass Runs (I just checked to make sure we are both talking the same. Is the U felt material that the glass runs up and down in just like on a newer car. It's part of the "anti rattle kits".

I've hadn't heard of being able to replace the crank handle shaft, but someone else may know of a way or done it themselves.

Old 09-21-2017, 04:27 AM
Badmoonreizen
Laughing Gas
Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
I replaced the crank handle shaft on my '56 C600 a few months ago. Mid-Fifty sells repair shafts and inner springs for the window and door regulators. The window regulator repair shaft is part # 1102-5355.
You need to disassemble and assemble carefully so the spring doesn't go flying off into the black hole of missing parts. A little tack weld holds it in.

Regards, Mark.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:05 PM
GoldCo
Laughing Gas
Question follow up

new anti-rattle kit has arrived and waiting on (used) latch mechanisms from a private sale. also should have all handles/cranks now. still need glass though.

question:
looking for tips/tricks for door assembly... since i just have shells at this point, what will be easiest order since i'll be doing both regulators and latches?

any advice appreciated.

Old 11-15-2017, 03:32 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
When you get to the installation of the window anti rattle felts & the POS china made clips do not hold the felts on tightly remember this.

Attached Images  
Old 11-16-2017, 05:51 AM
1953FlatJohn
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey GoldCo,
How did you get the interior window and door handles off? I have tried for two nights and failed. Is the removal tool the only way to get those handles off?

Old 11-16-2017, 07:01 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,446 Posts
Originally Posted by 1953FlatJohn
Hey GoldCo,
How did you get the interior window and door handles off? I have tried for two nights and failed. Is the removal tool the only way to get those handles off?
The handles on a 52 are probably different than a 53. The 53 to 55 trucks have a C clip that needs to be pushed off. They can be removed with out the special tool. Push the bezel with the rubber around it up against the door to reveal the back of the handle and the clip. Use a small screwdriver or a pick or a needle nose pliers (or any two) to push the clip off.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:04 AM
Cougar54
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If the '52 handles are the same as the '49- '50 handles, you need to push down on the door handle escutcheon and push the pin out of the handle to remove it. The window crank and the opening handle remove the same way.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:13 AM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
new anti-rattle kit has arrived and waiting on (used) latch mechanisms from a private sale. also should have all handles/cranks now. still need glass though.

question:
looking for tips/tricks for door assembly... since i just have shells at this point, what will be easiest order since i'll be doing both regulators and latches?

any advice appreciated.

I can’t do links but dave (drptop70ss)did a tutorial on the 50 door latch rebuild and it helped me a lot so a search on him he was fixing the drooping handles

Old 11-16-2017, 09:38 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,446 Posts
Originally Posted by 1953FlatJohn
Hey GoldCo,
I believe John is asking how to remove interior handles from his 53.....

Old 11-16-2017, 05:56 PM
1953FlatJohn
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the interior handles of a 1953 f250. that link should be a pic.

Quick Reply: Door "stuff"