1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'56 F100 Barn Find-Road Trip-Rebuild!! (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 10:31 PM
GJPilcher
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'56 F100 Barn Find-Road Trip-Rebuild!! (PICS)

Hello everyone. Thank you to all of you who gave me such a great welcome in my introduction thread the other week. To update, I am an F100 lover but absolute noob, and as an classic VW guy this is really taking me to new realms, so let's just say I'm a total beginner and know next to nothing. A friend of mine has sold me a '56 F100, which was out in Nevada. I am in Utah. ROAD TRIPPPPPPP

^^^ So, Highway 50 out of Utah in parts is classified as "The Loneliest Road in America". Now I know why. This is what we saw for 90% of the 4.5hrs we rattled along in a 2000 F250 Powerstroke with a 20ft enclosed trailer behind, getting exceptionally bad gas mileage.

We finally made it to our destination, a small town called Ely. My friends' family are from here and as we pulled into his property I was blown away at the amount of incredible stuff laying around...

I asked if it was ok to take pics and they were totally fine with it. Out of respect/privacy/discresion I won't post every pic I have but suffice to say this place made me quiver with the possibilities.

Anyways, we opened the huge wobbly doors of a large barn and inside, is my '56, in many pieces, but it's all in here somewhere.

There were parts of my truck everywhere, but nicely kept in pots/buckets and boxes. There was a digger that we used to drag her out. We loaded the bed with so many parts and spare parts from another truck I've bought (but cannot get home just yet), put a spare bed upside down on top and winched the truck into the trailer backwards. Then filed the gaps with parts/trans/engine/fenders etc. We stopped on the way back a few times and I checked our cargo - it was strapped down good!

It took a very long time, with 4000lbs in a 20ft enclosed trailer and two big dudes to return home to central Utah. It also took a lot of diesel. A lot. But way after darkness fell we rolled in and I had just about had it. Sleeeeeeeeep.....

8am and I'm back at it, unloading everything by myself until a couple of my friends arrived. But to spare you the boring bits, here are the pictures of what I laid out on my driveway and tried to figure out what and where it goes.

If any of you spot anything out of the ordinary, or have any tips and advice please go ahead - I am a total beginner and I relish and value you guys who have the knowledge! I am super inspired by what you all have going in this website, and I hope I can apply what I've learned restoring Volkswagens into these fantastic trucks! Thanks loads! Gary.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:36 AM
rico56
More Turbo
Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts
Hi Gary,

cool pics! Well, it looks as if you can skip step 1 (disassembly) and start right with the next step ;-).

I'd really like to have a look in that barn myself ;-)

My advice: Keep as much of the original stuff as possible! Make a list of the parts you have and the parts you're missing. Get yourself a shop manual and some bottles of beer for the next months ;-)

The truck looks rock-solid on the pics - a very good base to start with! I wish You good luck and fun! Keo us updates with tons of pics!

Old 09-18-2017, 03:40 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
What a find! I can tell by the pics that the frame is NOT a 56 frame. Check for the VIN on the top pass side just in front of the cab mount. If not there then check the front cross member

Old 09-18-2017, 04:11 AM
Greg Rogers
Fleet Mechanic
Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts
Wow! Looks like you're starting out with a mixture of parts as I did. Mine is actually one truck that's a mixture of 55 and 56. Your's looks like 2 separate trucks. Good luck. Isn't it something the way most of these old barn finds are all blown apart years ago and then interest is lost by the owner and they end up in someone else's hands as a huge puzzle!! Keep us posted.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:52 AM
Justboy
More Turbo
Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Thanks for sharing those cool pictures Gary. You already have the beginnings of my system in that you have taken loads of pictures of your spares. It is going to be even more important for you because you have at least 2 trucks worth! What I have started to do is take a picture of everything I'm putting in a particular box and then put the files in a folder called say 'Box A'. Then list the contents in a spread sheet for Box A as well. If you come across anything you need identified just post it up here and someone will tell you what it is.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:53 PM
GJPilcher
Senior User
Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice from you all.

You are correct, it is not a 56 frame, its a 54. I have bought two trucks, but sadly could only fit one complete truck plus all the spares for both in the rig I had. The 54 cab and the 56 frame are still in Nevada. When I have the will to live ill go get them Hahahahha. ..

I plan on using the 54 frame with 56 parts. If that's possible.

I will share more photos as I take them. Im glad to be here, thanks again fellas. Gary.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:21 PM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts
Your a brave man Gary! Looks like a great find and all the parts look like they are in good shape. With my project I was able to take it apart and take pictures as I went. Putting it back together has been fairly straight forward with all my reference material. Good luck and have fun! Dave

Old 09-18-2017, 02:00 PM
rico56
More Turbo
Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts
Hi Gary,

if I were you, I'd go back to Nevada and pick up the '56 frame and the '54 cab!
Yes I know it's a damned long way, but in my opinion, a '56 truck should run on a '56 frame! I think You even paid for the complete parts?! It would be a shame to let that frame and cab rot there

Old 09-18-2017, 02:07 PM
GJPilcher
Senior User
Originally Posted by rico56
Hi Gary,

if I were you, I'd go back to Nevada and pick up the '56 and the '54 cab!
Yes I know it's a damned long way, but in my opinion, a '56 truck should run on a '56 frame! I think You even paid for the complete parts?! It would be a shame to let that frame and cab rot there
I absolutely agree brother. Lucky for me its on my best friends family plot so it ain't going anywhere. I will likely do another journey soon and the more i think about it the more I want to go back. This time, though, not in a 7.3 power stroke !

Old 09-18-2017, 02:46 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
you are a lucky guy and you post pic

Old 09-18-2017, 09:59 PM
GJPilcher
Senior User
This evening, I finally had a chance to poke around a bit, mostly on the frame and bed. Here's a weird one, the huge rear bumper is bolted to the rear fenders, then welded to the rear part of the bed and then to the frame. I am assuming this is not stock and was done by a previous owner for rigidity. But it definitely looks that I have to cut through the welds to remove the bed. Ah well.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:13 PM
gerrymoe
Laughing Gas
Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
For title purposes with the governing body of your state, I would think you would want the correct frame with the correct ID number to the body you decide to use

Old 09-19-2017, 11:16 PM
GJPilcher
Senior User
Originally Posted by gerrymoe
For title purposes with the governing body of your state, I would think you would want the correct frame with the correct ID number to the body you decide to use

Agreed!

Old 09-20-2017, 04:17 PM
pintoplumber
Fleet Mechanic
Received 554 Likes on 266 Posts
In the photo of the seat and rear fenders, I see the passenger fender has the tire recess. I don't recall seeing a 53-56 with a passenger side spare. Make sure you get the mounting brackets and stiffening plates. Dennis

Old 09-20-2017, 08:04 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by pintoplumber
In the photo of the seat and rear fenders, I see the passenger fender has the tire recess. I don't recall seeing a 53-56 with a passenger side spare. Make sure you get the mounting brackets and stiffening plates. Dennis
Good eye, Dennis. That is interesting. Do you think it was homemade?

Quick Reply: '56 F100 Barn Find-Road Trip-Rebuild!! (PICS)