2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 08:58 AM
triniexr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter Tires

What type of tires are you all running or recommend for deep snow and ice. I am in the process of looking for tires but am confused if to go with a dedicated snow tire or just get All Terrain.

I visit my cottage during the winter and its on a gravel road that get plowed but can have deep snow at times. I live in Canada so we get ice and deep snow at times. I'm an early riser so I'm usually out of the house going to work before all the traffic passes over the snow or before the plows are out.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:09 AM
rick danger
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I'm going to go with a mud tire year round. I currently have a winter set (cooper mt's) and summer set (michelins) but I'm to lazy to keep changing back and forth.I'm going to go with either nitto terra grapplers or toyo open country mt's. I like the look all year round and if they melt on long highway trips in the summer ,oh well. get another set.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:47 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Just about any tread doesn't do well on ice. I've live places like Detroit Michigan and had nothing but all-terrain tires that did well through the winter. Of course it's always better to keep a set of chains even for off-road tires. http://www.autotraining.edu/blog/sno...the-advantage/

Old 09-15-2017, 10:40 AM
albertatyke
Senior User
I've had good luck from Motomaster totoal terrain snow tires from Canadian tire... had them on my Ram 3500 for winter 3 seasons before I can back to Ford, and they can be studded if you want.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:15 AM
triniexr
Senior User
I've read good things about Firestone. I've never owned a Firestone tire as I am coming from sedans and sports sedans.

I think I want dedicated winter tires on rims. I usually change them over myself. Its either I'll put winters on the stock rims and get a nice set of rims for the summer or I get another set of stocks and put winters on those.

I posted this because I've seen that the All terrain gets good ratings in the snow as well but would like input from experienced people. The all terrain I've seen getting good reviews are the BF Goodrich KO2A and the Toyo Open Country and Dick Cepek. Mickey Thompson seems like a popular pick as well but not much information out there on them.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:09 PM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Nokia hackapolintia how ever you spell them are one of the top if not the best rated winter tire in Canada. If your driving mostly winter paved town roads with the odd ride to the cottage I would not get studs. They will wear out to quickly.

I ran cooper STT mt tire for years as well. They did well on snow and performed like an AT tire on ice.

I drove fleet trucks for years with them on ice roads, highways, winter roads, gravel, on cleared roads... the coopers did better in deep snow but more often then that ice was the issue. Rarely did I venture into a farmers field unplowed or the bush.

Nokian tires are very good just don't run them in higher temps like above zero or you will be buying lots of winter tires.

Old 09-15-2017, 05:16 PM
Warhound
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ill be getting Duratrac's again, they have the MTN Snowflake rating that i like and this will be my 5th set. I run them year round on my jeep and did so on my old Truck also.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:16 PM
Xwild
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To add to the discussion - I've always run A/T's year round and not had an issue. But I've also thought it would be smart with some of the places I go with the snowmobile trailer, to have a set of chains available if needed. What's everyone found for a good pair of emergency use chains?

Old 09-16-2017, 12:06 AM
DeputyDiesel
Tuned
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rick danger
I think I'm going to go with a mud tire year round. I currently have a winter set (cooper mt's) and summer set (michelins) but I'm to lazy to keep changing back and forth.I'm going to go with either nitto terra grapplers or toyo open country mt's. I like the look all year round and if they melt on long highway trips in the summer ,oh well. get another set.
My buddy had a set of toyo mt's on his 2015 f350 and they only lasted 14k before they were bald. Can't speak for the Nittos though. I will say my cooper stt pros have 50k plus between my f150 and f350 and are still at 30%

Old 09-16-2017, 04:40 AM
acadianbob
Cargo Master
Received 528 Likes on 298 Posts
Nokian is the best all around tire for winter performance IMO.

Tires need to be heavily siped to be effective on ice. Nokian does the best job on that IMO. Many truck tire brands have big blocks of rubber that are unsiped. Very ineffective for winter driving.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:56 AM
MrFord619
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going with the General Grabber AT2s soon. I love they look, they wear extremely well on every other truck I've had them on, they're quiet, have great traction and are studdable.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:38 AM
rick danger
Senior User
Originally Posted by DeputyDiesel
My buddy had a set of toyo mt's on his 2015 f350 and they only lasted 14k before they were bald. Can't speak for the Nittos though. I will say my cooper stt pros have 50k plus between my f150 and f350 and are still at 30%
Good info, thanks. I have a set of coopers that are wearing well. mainly because they are stacked on a pallet, because I'm to lazy to swap them out in the winter. LOL

Old 09-16-2017, 07:59 AM
xxxsherpa
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by acadianbob
Nokian is the best all around tire for winter performance IMO.

Tires need to be heavily siped to be effective on ice. Nokian does the best job on that IMO. Many truck tire brands have big blocks of rubber that are unsiped. Very ineffective for winter driving.
Spot on! Tires have to be well siped for ice.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:48 AM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I also look at most of the people on here are from the USA. Their hard winters are as easy as our winters get.

Only Alaska is further north really. The snow is different, the temperatures are different, and length of winter.

For an example in Alberta. Edmonton is generally 10c warmer then fort mac. Calgary is 10c warmer then Edmonton. The boarder is even warmer. Of course it's not exactly scientific fact just what I usually observe during winter.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:27 AM
triniexr
Senior User
I did a lot of research and I think I'm going to go with the General Grabbers or Firestone Winterforce. The Nokian, even though they are really good, they are too damn expensive and they are just a tad bit better. Not enough in my opinion to be worth the extra cash.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires