Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Wish me luck!

Old 09-14-2017, 06:48 PM
afmedic
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wish me luck!

I'm about to walk outside and begin working on the ol girl. I got my box from Riff Raff yesterday (with some pretty awesome stickers) that had my new injector cups, sealant, and new injector o-rings in it. My new motorcraft glow plugs will be here tomorrow (she won't start right now unless plugged in, and all but one of my glow plugs tested bad or open through the VC harness). Seems like a pretty in depth job, but with all of the how tos on here it should be ok! I just need the good juju flowing my direction!

Old 09-14-2017, 07:02 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
It's not really that hard of a job. Unbolt a few things. Bolt some things back together. Lube o-rings as they go in. Turn left to remove a bolt, turn right to install one. Make sure you clean the oil residue from the CAC boots and tubes before reinstalling the pipes. (a touch of hairspray inside the boots doesn't hurt). Don't forget to evacuate the cylinders of fluid before putting things back together.

Question, why are you replacing the cups? Are they leaking? Did you get the tool from Riffraff for the cup removal? Also, I didn't see any mention of glow plugs. You're there and it's actually easier to remove the glow plugs and crank the engine with the CPS or some other engine disabling feature unplugged to evacuate the rest of any fluids in the cylinder after you think you've sucked it all out.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:34 PM
afmedic
Posting Guru
What does this to an injector?

Old 09-14-2017, 08:38 PM
afmedic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by F350-6
It's not really that hard of a job. Unbolt a few things. Bolt some things back together. Lube o-rings as they go in. Turn left to remove a bolt, turn right to install one. Make sure you clean the oil residue from the CAC boots and tubes before reinstalling the pipes. (a touch of hairspray inside the boots doesn't hurt). Don't forget to evacuate the cylinders of fluid before putting things back together.

Question, why are you replacing the cups? Are they leaking? Did you get the tool from Riffraff for the cup removal? Also, I didn't see any mention of glow plugs. You're there and it's actually easier to remove the glow plugs and crank the engine with the CPS or some other engine disabling feature unplugged to evacuate the rest of any fluids in the cylinder after you think you've sucked it all out.
Forgot to mention that my motorcraft glow plugs will be here tomorrow. I've got diesel in the coolant, and the guy I got the truck from said he paid some shade tree mechanic 400 bucks to put new ones in a year ago, and the diesel in the coolant came back earlier this year.

I have the rosewood diesel tool one of my buddies loaned me.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:40 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6

He said glow plugs will be here tomorrow.

Originally Posted by afmedic
What does this to an injector?

Did you use talk text...what are you trying to ask?? Lol

Old 09-14-2017, 08:56 PM
afmedic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Colorado350

Did you use talk text...what are you trying to ask?? Lol
I'm referring to the injector on the right. The bottom of it looks like it has carbon build up and the other doesn't. It also looks like it has been hit with a dremel tool. Sorry, I have oil all over my hands and I am posting from my phone.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:10 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
I'm referring to the injector on the right. The bottom of it looks like it has carbon build up and the other doesn't. It also looks like it has been hit with a dremel tool. Sorry, I have oil all over my hands and I am posting from my phone.
Oh, gotcha, makes sense now. .

Old 09-14-2017, 09:12 PM
afmedic
Posting Guru
No ideas what causes that though? I also noticed that my injectors are different. I have two that are ab and two that are ad. Is that normal?

Old 09-14-2017, 09:16 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
No ideas what causes that though? I also noticed that my injectors are different. I have two that are ab and two that are ad. Is that normal?
If I'm recalling this properly our E99 came with 130cc AB injectors the L99+ came with 140cc AD injectors. Looks like 2 of yours have been changed.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:19 PM
afmedic
Posting Guru
Will that cause problems? I really don't want to replace half, or all, of the injectors

Old 09-14-2017, 09:44 PM
afmedic
Posting Guru
My progress so far tonight:

Got the drivers side injectors, cups, and glow plugs out. Not sure why 2 injectors have carbon buildup and the other 2 don't. All 4 glow plugs tested either open, or several hundred ohms. The drivers side valve cover gasket is also fried where the front glow plug wire passes through. And, I managed to break an oil diverter.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:48 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Is that the same injector on the right in both pictures? I am not an injector guy but...I believe that the only way to get carbon up on the injector like that is with a loose injector, which compromises the seal to the combustion chamber at the bottom of it. That injector on the right has numbers etched into the side of it up top. I believe it's possible for the injectors to have been built into anything, regardless of what is stamped into the top (AB, AD). Broken oil deflector bites.

Old 09-15-2017, 03:15 PM
afmedic
Posting Guru
Yes that's the same injector. It is front and back. I cleaned them really good with brake clean and a scotch brite pad and the look better. I have 3 of the 4 cups in on the drivers side. Taking a break for a minute.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:25 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Just checking in to make sure you're using the specified loctite to seat the injector cups.

Sounds like you're making progress.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:30 PM
afmedic
Posting Guru
Yup. Ordered it from Riff Raff. The loctite 620. I just finished putting them all in. I used my mighty-vac to suck the cylinders as dry as I could get them. I have drill this weekend, so it'll have all weekend to cure. Then I'll disconnect the CPS and turn her over with rags in the holes, then put it back together. I got all the carbon cleaned off of the injectors, and the new o-rings are getting ready to go on. I have to get on and order a valve cover gasket and under cover harness because I have 2 fried pins for glow plugs. The only glow plug out of 8 that tested good was on one of the burnt wires, so I had no glow plugs at all. Hopefully she'll start when I put it back together!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wish me luck!