6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Spinsecure VersaLock Fuel Fill Cap

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 04:49 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Spinsecure VersaLock Fuel Fill Cap

VersaLock

Anyone dealt with one of these? One came on my RDS tank, and it's stuck in the locked aka just spins state. It clicks (sounds like something clicks into a detent) where the it would normally start spinning, but then it just pops past it with minimal pressure and spins another 3rd of a turn to the next detent.

Started calling at 2:30pm in CA and no one answers the phone there... must be hard working those half-days in Californistan

Old 08-25-2017, 05:52 PM
wedge542
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you get that piped in yet with the solonoid?

Old 08-25-2017, 07:05 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Straight gravity for now, I sent the under-toolbox tank back because by 9" tall they really mean 11" only if you replace the draw straw plug with a recessed plug. Wouldn't fit in the 10.5" of space I could get under the box. So there's a vertical 45 gal tank in now, but it has less clearance in the corner so the solenoid setup is back on the drawing board.

But I can't use it at all right now because the fuel cap won't come off. I'm hoping I'm just somehow being dumb... but it's not complicated. Turn key, cap unscrews. That ain't happening.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:14 PM
hinsong
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to revive this old thread, but I’m having the same problem with my spinsecure cap that came with my aux tank. Worked fine the first couple of times, but now I can’t get it off no matter what I do.

Did you ever get a resolution on this? Did spinsecure ever get back to you? Has anyone else experienced a problem with this cap that may know a trick to getting it off?

I guess it really is a secure cap. I’m 100% positive that nobody will steal diesel out of my aux tank, mainly because I can no longer put diesel in the dang thing! Ugh...

Old 01-07-2018, 09:17 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

I contacted them and they sent me a special tool to remove the cap, it uses a set screw and a pair of ears cut to match the cap and seems to just squeeze the heck out of it until the threads engage. I don't have the emails they sent me anymore, but I think they said there was a way to drill the lock portion out to jam it and force it to work, but I wanted them to send me the tool in case their replacement cap also failed.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:53 PM
hinsong
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks! I’ll contact them tomorrow, then.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:57 PM
Longhual
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hinsong, were you able to get yours fixed? i just bought my tank the other day, went to open it today and same issue. It just spins and clicks, i can't get it off and my family and I are leaving for Alaska Monday.

Thanks!

Daniel

Old 02-24-2018, 09:54 PM
Longhual
New User
For the anyone that has issues with their spinsecure lock, if it’s unlocked drill a hole just enough to get through the top cover in the top of the lock in the valley about 1/4” from the outer of the cap. Then use a screw driver to twist. This is not for thieves! Only works if it unlocked.

i found this out by trial not from the company that doesn’t answer the phone. Good luck!

Old 02-25-2018, 06:48 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

I'm looking at a second tank, I emailed RDS and asked if new units are shipping with this cap, and if so what can replace it. I don't even lock my cap out of fear it's not going to unlock, so what's the point of a locking cap at that point?

Old 02-25-2018, 07:16 PM
Longhual
New User
I agree brother, I was excited that it came with this lock at first, but then it messes up the 2nd time i go to take it off, no thank you. well, i found the solution if it happens again and you aren't able to have the tools mailed to you. I would have them mail me the tools but we are hitting the open road tomorrow morning so it wouldn't do me any good until. Once i get to Alaska ill have them mail me the tool, but i think I'm going to sell this 95 gallon tank once i get up there and get a tool box combo so the spout is in in the tool box cover, two birds one stone.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:30 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

I'm looking at combination boxes right now. UWS has an 85 gallon combo that looks good but it doesn't have a rollover vent valve, I'm wondering if I'll have gravity feed problems with just their vented cap and no vent on the tank.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:04 PM
Longhual
New User
I would definitely ask them to make sure, but im sure you can google the manual. i googled this one:

#TT-85-COMBO

Says it has the flanges for proper venting, but I noticed alot of their tanks aren't compatible with the DEF exhaust systems. unfortunately mine has the DEF.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:12 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

That's the one I was looking at. Fill-Rite says their 2" cap vents negative pressure, so screw it... looks like I'm ordering one of those combos.

I think it means you can't put DEF in the aux tank, not that you can't use it on a truck that uses that treatment system.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:19 PM
Longhual
New User
Second thought, your probably right lol, I saw not compatible and assumed. Been a long couple of weeks packing haha.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:23 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

My solution to the SpinSecure failing to unlock:

It's atrociously stupid to wonder if your fuel cap will open when you need it or not, to have to carry a tool to open it if it fails. And this is from someone who carries more tools in my truck than most people own just to keep the truck rolling. I passed on buying an RDS tank partially because new builds come with that BS cap, my new UWS tank is wearing one of these also:
Amazon Amazon

18" pipe wrench is all you need to change it out. 3" was pushing the capacity of the wrench, but it worked. I screwed the threads on the SpinSecure 2" insert by biting them direct with the wrench, but guess how sad I am to see it go. This cap has a hole for a padlock, so still lockable and bolt cutters can solve any problems MasterLock decides to cause. Which has been never in the 16 years I've been using this particular matched set of four padlocks.

Quick Reply: Spinsecure VersaLock Fuel Fill Cap