Sponsored by: Moser

How do YOU shut your tailgate?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 08:56 PM
75BigBlock
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do YOU shut your tailgate?

I was eating lunch with my wife at a restaurant the other day. We were sitting in a booth next to a window that gave a straight view over to a tire shop where a guy was loading a tire into the bed of a customer's truck. It went up and in and then he lifts the tailgate and with two hands on the top edge and shuts it nice and smooth without using the handle. It was probably a late 90's Chevy truck and I was thinking in my head, because I doubt my wife would have been interested in this thought, I wish I could do that with mine.

So, I was wondering how other dentside owners shut their tailgates. I always open mine with my left hand on the handle and lay it down. I close it with the same method, one hand on the handle (I usually have my other hand full of dogs leashes since I don't want my cargo to run off) and I open the latches with the handle before I shut it so it doesn't grind or slam if I'm in a hurry. I haven't tried and I don't plan on shutting it like that guy did to that newer truck, I'm pretty sure I'd have to slam mine to get the latches to open and close.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:07 PM
bulldogcountry1
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been thinking about this exact thing lately. I, too, have to lift the handle to get it to latch, and that took some work. It also makes a racket that would get me ticketed for disturbing the peace within city limits.

I've dreamed of taking the guts of a modern tailgate to see if I could pull it off.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:09 PM
lasermike
Laughing Gas
Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
Open, one hand on latch, one hand on top edge. It pulls open just fine.
Close, lift with both hands to latch contact then pull handle and push closed. Then smack the tar out of the right upper corner to get that corner to latch properly. It won't even think about closing without an assist with the handle.

Michael

Old 08-21-2017, 09:27 PM
djfins
Senior User
I shut my 76 swb like the tire guy, two hands on upper edge, nice push and she shuts well. Opening is another story, clips have all come apart in the handle, and dont care to fix it yet lol. So with my left hand i open the handle all the way, reach up under it with the right and pull the rod towards me, quite hard to pull with bare hand. And it pops open!

Old 08-21-2017, 09:34 PM
Loosescrews
Mountain Pass
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Lift handle and slam. New tailgate and all associated hardware. Decided that's just the way it is.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:42 PM
75BigBlock
Elder User
Originally Posted by djfins
I shut my 76 swb like the tire guy, two hands on upper edge, nice push and she shuts well. Opening is another story, clips have all come apart in the handle, and dont care to fix it yet lol. So with my left hand i open the handle all the way, reach up under it with the right and pull the rod towards me, quite hard to pull with bare hand. And it pops open!
I had a clip break and I did this exact thing. Lifted handle with left hand and pulled the left latch rod with my right pointer finger at the same time. I got used to it and I'm sure no one watching me from a distance thought anything of it since I could open it quickly that way. It wasn't until I started to get a callous developing on my pointer finger where the rod would sit that I decided to replace it. lol

My tailgate opens and shuts really smooth. The handle doesn't operate perfect since it's 40 years old now. It'll pull out farther on the right hand side than it does on the left hand side, so I just pull the left hand side of it with my left hand. I figure it just adds character.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:47 PM
PapaBearYuma
Cargo Master

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
The 77 is fun...

Since the shocks are weak on the shell hatch, I raise the hatch with my right hand, remove the stick that supports the hatch with my left hand, then place the stick inside the bed. Then I rest the hatch on top of my head.

Then I have both hands free to close the tailgate. I use the right hand to pull the handle, and use the left hand to raise the tailgate into pisition. Once closed, I use both hands, on top of the tailgate, to wiggle it fore and aft. That causes the latches to seat in their sockets. At this point, the hatch is still resting on my noggin...

Then I use the right hand to lift the hatch, step back, and lower the hatch into position. The left handle doesn't turn, but I use the left hand to try it anyway. Then I use the right hand to turn the right handle, lean into it, then turn the handle to latch it.

I dont think you could close and latch the tailgates on any of my trucks by just pushing them closed. Unless you pushed with a tractor..

Old 08-21-2017, 09:58 PM
Ben Samways
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PapaBearYuma
The 77 is fun...

Since the shocks are weak on the shell hatch, I raise the hatch with my right hand, remove the stick that supports the hatch with my left hand, then place the stick inside the bed. Then I rest the hatch on top of my head.

Then I have both hands free to close the tailgate. I use the right hand to pull the handle, and use the left hand to raise the tailgate into pisition. Once closed, I use both hands, on top of the tailgate, to wiggle it fore and aft. That causes the latches to seat in their sockets. At this point, the hatch is still resting on my noggin...

Then I use the right hand to lift the hatch, step back, and lower the hatch into position. The left handle doesn't turn, but I use the left hand to try it anyway. Then I use the right hand to turn the right handle, lean into it, then turn the handle to latch it.

I dont think you could close and latch the tailgates on any of my trucks by just pushing them closed. Unless you pushed with a tractor..
I think that our trucks are brothers, as I go through pretty much the same routing, shell hatch resting on my head and everything.

About the only differences are I pull the handle on the tailgate and lean against the right hand side for that side to latch.

For the shell hatch, it's a single central handle, so I turn it, and then push the bottom right corner hard into place while turning the handle to lock it into position.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:02 PM
rougeriver
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
My tailgate has always been difficult to open and close. Glad to know that's just the way they are.

David

Old 08-21-2017, 10:11 PM
72GTS
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A good lube will go a long way in making it close easier. Also having all the parts in good working order is a big help. When these truck were new the closed real easy.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:19 PM
75BigBlock
Elder User
Originally Posted by 72GTS
A good lube will go a long way in making it close easier. Also having all the parts in good working order is a big help. When these truck were new the closed real easy.
I agree with the lube. I lubed all the moving parts in my tailgate and lubed the contact area on the latch brackets where they meet the latches. I still don't like the sound the latches make when they hit the brackets, so the handle gets held open while the tailgate is being closed.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:49 PM
meangreen92
Logistics Pro
Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by 72GTS
Probably this. I haven't tried yet. Mine seems to require pulling the latch handle to get it closed and latched. The passenger side 'striker hole bracket' needs some adjustment.

It opens easy enough, just need to give a slight tug/yank...

Old 08-22-2017, 12:04 AM
1TonBasecamp
Lead Driver
Received 729 Likes on 583 Posts
Lube can work, even on older stuff that hasn't been lubed or adjusted for years. But not always.
At this point, the mechanicals are not always cooperative and you just have to continue doing what you do with the handle-at-half-mast ploy.

The early style latches were actually better, as are the later model ones. Those with the sideways pivoting handle ('72 and earlier to a point), as well as the Early Broncos with the same setup closed sweet. My '71 snaps shut with just a good firm shove. Never gave me a moment's grief after I adjusted it and lubed it up.
Not so much with the '79.

Even with the new tailgate (years ago now) it just rattles and complains. And no matter how well it's lubed I still have to slide the handle out just slightly to make it easier.
I "can" close it without moving the handle, but I don't like slamming it quite that hard. The Bronco on the other hand acts like it was intended to work.

I've never replaced the hardware on the '79, and the latch dogs are definitely more worn looking than the '71 (even after many more years and many more closings) which is likely part of the issue.
New latch assemblies might make it better. Or might not...

I've got a pristine almost never used tailgate from a '71 pickup (original owner removed it for a camper and kept it in a garage until I got it) that I have always wanted to try on the '79. Even though I know the body lines don't line up, I figured the latches would (might?) and it would be a good test of the different styles.
Maybe someday...

Paul

Old 08-22-2017, 09:34 AM
speedfreak78
Cargo Master
Received 423 Likes on 338 Posts
I just slam mine. After 30+ years, especially if they were worked, the beds move around, latches move, stuff wears out, tailgates get tweaked. I spent some time on my old bed making sure the opening was square, the tailgate wasn't too twisted and adjusting everything. It made a noticeable difference, but I still had to slam it. These are real trucks that can take it. My father's 94 Chevy had a bowed in tailgate just from closing it too hard , cheap junk.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:12 PM
D-rat
Elder User
Mine opens really hard....lift the handle and use the other hand to yank and yank until the damn thing comes open. Closing requires a good hard slam.

I've lubricated the pieces to no effect, and dust here makes lubing that stuff kind of a double edged sword....makes it easier to clog up with dirt.

Quick Reply: How do YOU shut your tailgate?