Sponsored by: DP Tuner

help, trans just lost gears

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 10:14 PM
Liquid10Rider
More Turbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
help, trans just lost gears

Hey guys, tonight on my way home I stopped at a traffic light and when it turned green I got on the throttle a little and the trans shifted and I slowed up a little and proceeded to go back on the throttle but not hard and the trans just made an nice ZINGGGG noise. I noticed if I took it out of OD it still didn't go away. I came to a stop and put the truck in D and started driving. I believe I lost 3rd and 4th.

Now the question is how bad is it to rebuild. I am a mechanic so I have knowledge of how to work on engines and what not but I never dove into a trans. Money is tight right now so Im trying to do this myself to save labor. the shop i work at has a lift and press to use.

I read different forums about this and they all suggested the ATSG manual and some special tools.

Heres my questions about this whole process
-how bad is it to rebuild?
-what specialty tools do you need, and can you rent them?
-what kit should I go with?
-and I know the trans was rebuild back at 65k, truck now has 216K, the TC is purple so its aftermarket but should it be replaced while its out?
-what else should be done besides the rebuild kit?
-Should I just go with a rebuilt trans from a place like monster transmissions or will it be cheaper to just do this myself?

I am not looking for a trans to hold 1000 HP, I want to make it a little stronger than stock and have it last.

I dont tow much but I do when a friend needs something, I do plow at my job, but the truck is mainly highway.

I will have the truck towed by a buddy to my job so I can at least get the trans ripped out tomorrow. I am trying to rebuild ASAP.

Thank you,
-AJ

Old 08-18-2017, 10:42 PM
varminthunter243
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just my 2 cents but I have not heard much good about monster. I'm coming up on a rebuild or replacement next spring so I will be watching this thread with great interest. I'm alot like you, I don't need the mother of all transmissions but I'd like it to hold 800+ ft lbs and my knowledge is primarily from the firewall forward. I'm my research I've seen several rebuild kits from very reputable companies for 700-1000 dollars shipped.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:45 PM
Liquid10Rider
More Turbo

The only reason i said monster was they were the first to pop up in google. something just didnt sit well when looking at their pricing and what rebuild kits are and also looking at suncoast and what their rebuilt trans go for there is a huge difference. But i would much rather rebuild my own

Old 08-20-2017, 10:00 AM
Liquid10Rider
More Turbo

I got the trans down last night and pulled the pan. I did a service to the trans about a year ago and i had cleaned that magnet. So in a year that has built up big time. Im still in need of recommendations on a good rebuild kit. And what else i should do since the trans is down. Someone out there has to have some advice.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:20 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Mueckster rebuilds transmissions and should be a good source for you. I don't know how to utag him so you might try to PM him.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:38 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Mueckster rebuilds transmissions and should be a good source for you. I don't know how to utag him so you might try to PM him.
{utag}username{/utag}

Replace the { with the hard brackets (un-shift of that same key) and the member's username.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:57 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
OK, we'll try it...
@mueckster

Old 08-20-2017, 06:05 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Liquid10Rider
Now the question is how bad is it to rebuild. I am a mechanic so I have knowledge of how to work on engines and what not but I never dove into a trans. Money is tight right now so Im trying to do this myself to save labor. the shop i work at has a lift and press to use.

I read different forums about this and they all suggested the ATSG manual and some special tools.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16984449

Originally Posted by Snowseeker
So I was leaving a stop sign, felt some drag, then a hard shift, then some noises every time I was slowing down. Drove strait home and tore stuff apart.

Now this is our work truck a 7.3 with almost 150K on the clock. We are going threw some tough times so funds are real tight. Otherwise I would just get a BTS/wood/ford HD trans and be done with it. This truck does not get beat one bit. It just drives from store to store with mostly highways between.

I am fluent in every other aspect of a vehicle but this is my first time EVER digging into an auto trans.

I ordered an ATSG book which should be here early this next week. I disassembled the trans by just watching a vid on youtube. That was easy!
Here's a perfect thread for you to read.

Stewart