Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Oil consumption, low boost

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 02:29 PM
abowman
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Oil consumption, low boost

Alrighty let me see if I can get everything. 01 6speed 450hp at rear wheels. Comp 910 valve springs, valve seals, 238-80% injectors, full RR, 38r turbo, napa air filter, Hydra with Gearhead tunes, 5"exhaust, 280k about 100k on rebuild. All mods done 40k ago. Now I have a horrible up pipe leak I assume is causing the low boost #'s I have to do another clutch so up pipes will be fixed when tranny is out this week. But I'm using 1-2 gallons of oil every 3k or so. I smell burning oil when I get out, mainly if I am getting on it then stop. I haven't pulled the fuel filter to see if its a injector o ring. (Tonight's project) but turbo sounds fine, I'm going check for shaft play tonight. Any other suggestions on what could be my loss of oil without it actually leaking on the ground?

Old 08-15-2017, 03:54 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Exhaust pipe wet with oil? Checkout ExPaCamper thread, going on right now

Old 08-15-2017, 04:20 PM
abowman
Tuned
The end of the pipe doesn't seem to have oil, I don't see any oil spots on my trailer either which I tow almost as much as don't. I wouldn't think it would be the turbo being as it fairly new but I have had the egt's 15-1800* quite a few times so makes me wonder if it is

Old 08-15-2017, 04:37 PM
abowman
Tuned
I looked that up, only thread I found was a CPS wiring problem with a no start? My trucks running fine just a little low on power, (boost shortage I'm sure. Only hitting 28psi vs 38psi)

Old 08-15-2017, 05:58 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
OK, I'll ask...how long were you at 15-1800? Do you know that AL melts at about 1220? I'd say that if your problems are confined to your turbo you would be lucky. How's your blow by?

Old 08-15-2017, 08:23 PM
abowman
Tuned
Oh, I'm well aware of how much IV pushed my limits with egts. But I think the longest is 10-15 seconds blow by is fine I'll double check tonight. On my way to get a fuel filter. But when I do reach that temp that's sustained more than a second or two is to get to speed when I have a 10-20k load on. I don't let it cool down quick either. I'll drop it to the 1250 and hold it for 10-20 seconds then back out to hold my speed which usually is 11-1200*. But I'll do some digging when I get home and update you. Thank you for the help btw

Old 08-15-2017, 08:25 PM
abowman
Tuned
That's pre turbo too

Old 08-15-2017, 08:27 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Slap a set of dormans on dat biatch...killing her, smalls...

Old 08-15-2017, 08:32 PM
abowman
Tuned
I should add that I'm leaning towards injector orings because the fact that I'm feeling a loss of hoop psi (haven't read it yet, new clutch is on its way) but wot or as close as I can get without my clutch slipping pulls good but it will pick up if I back out of the throttle. So I'm going to order new orings threw riff raff and see what I find in the fuel bowl.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:14 AM
abowman
Tuned
Fuel filter was clean, tail pipe is crisp and clean, no oil residue leaking from any exhaust joint. Down pipe is clean of oil too. Blow by was minimal if almost non existent so not sure what gives here.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:57 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Here's my thread.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-tailpipe.html

The external orings on the injectors look "okay" with a few minor pinch marks, but not enough to account for the amount of oil I was losing.

It seems likely the internal orings on the injector have failed. I do have a black fuel filter and was losing oil out the tailpipe. I could see it spray on the ground just before putting her in the garage.

You might be burning more of it, or maybe need to rev it a little with some paper towels or something near your tailpipe to see it?

I'm hoping it is just the injectors, they went out in the mail for rebuild today

Old 08-18-2017, 10:29 AM
abowman
Tuned

Up pipe gasket, boost problem I'm sure. But did a clutch and fixed the up pipes after work yesterday. 5 hrs total to do it. I'm changing my oil after work today and putting a new air filter on then I'll see what happens. Yes I have boost, egt, fuel psi for my guage. I have tourque and car guage to to watch other stuff if I need to.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:33 AM
abowman
Tuned
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
Here's my thread.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-tailpipe.html

The external orings on the injectors look "okay" with a few minor pinch marks, but not enough to account for the amount of oil I was losing.

It seems likely the internal orings on the injector have failed. I do have a black fuel filter and was losing oil out the tailpipe. I could see it spray on the ground just before putting her in the garage.

You might be burning more of it, or maybe need to rev it a little with some paper towels or something near your tailpipe to see it?

I'm hoping it is just the injectors, they went out in the mail for rebuild today
Thank you, my fuel bowl was clean so, I'm guessing the turbo seal, I can only smell a hint of oil burn on shutdown. Iv read of quite a few people having seals go out on the 38r at 40-50k I'm right at 40k so I hope the internal seals aren't bad in a injector, they have lifetime warranty's so I'll do a trip with some new oil and everything and see what happens. My truck gets abused so it doesn't surprise me if a seal is out on the turbo, also with the 238-80% are not very clean burning so seeing oil on a rag would be kinda hard I think? Especially if I rev it at all.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:24 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by abowman
Thank you, my fuel bowl was clean so, I'm guessing the turbo seal, I can only smell a hint of oil burn on shutdown. Iv read of quite a few people having seals go out on the 38r at 40-50k I'm right at 40k so I hope the internal seals aren't bad in a injector, they have lifetime warranty's so I'll do a trip with some new oil and everything and see what happens. My truck gets abused so it doesn't surprise me if a seal is out on the turbo, also with the 238-80% are not very clean burning so seeing oil on a rag would be kinda hard I think? Especially if I rev it at all.
I don't know if it is the same for everyone, or even valid for diagnostic, but on my Excursion:

Black/oil on fuel filter = failed outer orings on injectors

Oil out tailpipe (small at first, ending with a lot) = failed internal orings in injector (speculation, waiting for teardown at Rosewood)

When the internal oring went *completely* the fuel filter also turned black. Prior to that it was using oil, some spray on our camper while towing, but clean fuel filter.

So on mine, it is 'likely' the internal orings were starting to go bad but didn't discolor the fuel filter until it got worse.

But again, this could be just anecdotal and not really a diagnostic, except to say it is 'possible' to have clean fuel filter and failing internal injector oring(s).

Hope you find your problem soon! The turbo 360 rebuild kit + orings is MUCH cheaper than injectors, to it wouldn't be a bad place to start

Old 08-18-2017, 01:12 PM
lpzd
Tuned
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
as i understand 38R is not diy rebuild-able with bearing kit like stock journal bearing turbo.

Quick Reply: Oil consumption, low boost