Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 F-250 Disposable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 03:58 PM
gypsytpr
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 F-250 Disposable?

I have a 96 F250. the rear fuel pump went out and it took me a while to replace it. in that time the pressure switch/valve that switches from one tank to the other seized up. there are NO wires to this valve is aparently pressure activated only. the fuel lines from both tanks go to thes junction (6 hoses, 4 in 2 out) the feed lines from the tanks this valve and up to the fuel filter connection seen to be all 1 piece. It is NOT available from; Napa,LMCtruck,Ford deallership or anywhere else I have looked. The Ford dealership told me that this part is "nolonger available through dealership" So I asked him if the 96's were "disposable" If no longer suported through them and he said YES. Babbit ford Flagstaff AZ. These are all high pressure hoses with those funkey snap in / special tool to remove lines so cannot just cut the jct. out and clamp in another. anyone know what I can do to regain the use of my rear fuel tank? running on just 1 16gal. tank is a real pain on long trips, and when I go out into the woods................ I have to bring gas cans so I dont get stuck way out off the road. this 460 REALLY LOVES FUEL.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:47 PM
mrollings53
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The valves are actually in the Fuel Delivery Modules in each fuel tank. The entire fuel system is pressurized by the selected fuel pump, valves in the unused FDM prevent fuel from entering the unused tank, and vice versa.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:10 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 963 Likes on 762 Posts
A '96 gas truck should not have a switching valve on the frame, are you saying your trucks actually has one? That system was discontinued in 1989.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:27 PM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
Sure sounds like you are describing the old dual function reservoirs of the earliest vintage of the fuel injection, but like said above....shouldn't be on your 96.

Fear not, your f250 is far from disposable.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:15 PM
ChRoNo16
Senior User
Check with other dealerships. they are not all the same, and some may have parts laying around.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:51 PM
gypsytpr
Freshman User
Ok so if this union in just a free flowing junction and the check valves are in the fuel pump. I just installed a new pump in the rear tank and still the truck will not run from that tank. I did bench test the old pump and it did not respond to being hooked directly to a batt. I did the same with the new pump and it did spin. also I can hear the pump pressure up when I switch the selector on the dash after being installed, even when I start the truck on the front tank, as soon as I switch over to the rear tank the truck quits. There must be some sort of gate in there or how would the return line get the unused fuel back to the correct tank? I could try to get a photo of this union and post it. might be kinda hard as it is half way down the leingth of the front fuel tank inside the frame rail.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:15 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? As I've said before to many others, just because a part is new does not mean it's good. It sounds like either your new pump is weak OR you have a leaking valve in your FRONT tank that is allowing the fuel pressure from the rear pump to bleed off into the front tank. You can rent a fuel pressure gauge set from places like Autozone or Advance or O'Reilly's, or just buy one of your own. A basic kit is pretty cheap and they're invaluable for problems like the one you're having.

And don't fret, a 96 F Series truck is about the farthest thing from being a throw-away vehicle. Well, unless you were one of those that believed cash for clunkers was a good program. If you do dispose of it, I'll come pick it up free of charge!

Old 08-13-2017, 06:54 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 963 Likes on 762 Posts
There is another possibility, if the fuel pump was spliced in electrically it is possible it is hooked up backwords and simply pushing fuel back into the tank. If there is 0 fuel pressure at the engine but you can hear the pump running this would be my first suspect.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:10 PM
gypsytpr
Freshman User
not miswiered

Originally Posted by Conanski
There is another possibility, if the fuel pump was spliced in electrically it is possible it is hooked up backwords and simply pushing fuel back into the tank. If there is 0 fuel pressure at the engine but you can hear the pump running this would be my first suspect.
I am sure that I wiered it correctly even more I was not happy with the crimp style connecters that they prdvider with the pump so I soldered them together just to be shure.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:38 PM
gypsytpr
Freshman User
I have a pressure guadge for low pressure lines but not for efi system. I will get one next time i go to town, I am assuming there is a port where I can insert it into the line. althow I am shure there is not anywhere between the tank and the jct block so it must be up under the hood. how would I know if the fuel is going into the other tank like someone sugested it might be?

Old 08-13-2017, 09:02 PM
mrollings53
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Port is on the passenger side fuel rail.

If the other tank is getting fuel it will overflow eventually. Pressure will be very low too.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:48 PM
Bad Bad Leroy Brown
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gypsytpr
I have a 96 F250. the rear fuel pump went out and it took me a while to replace it. in that time the pressure switch/valve that switches from one tank to the other seized up. there are NO wires to this valve is aparently pressure activated only. the fuel lines from both tanks go to thes junction (6 hoses, 4 in 2 out) the feed lines from the tanks this valve and up to the fuel filter connection seen to be all 1 piece. It is NOT available from; Napa,LMCtruck,Ford deallership or anywhere else I have looked. The Ford dealership told me that this part is "nolonger available through dealership" So I asked him if the 96's were "disposable" If no longer suported through them and he said YES. Babbit ford Flagstaff AZ. These are all high pressure hoses with those funkey snap in / special tool to remove lines so cannot just cut the jct. out and clamp in another. anyone know what I can do to regain the use of my rear fuel tank? running on just 1 16gal. tank is a real pain on long trips, and when I go out into the woods................ I have to bring gas cans so I dont get stuck way out off the road. this 460 REALLY LOVES FUEL.
I feel your pain, just walked out of the dealer an hour ago after they told me Ford no longer supports/stocks replacement spindle bearings and seals for my 97. The best he could do was get two of the seals required (One for each spindle) a different dealer happened to have on the shelf... at $50 bucks a piece.

I just got A complete Napa SKF kit, Koyo bearing and two Forsheda seals in an apparently updated design (eliminates floating grease baffle?) for that same $50.

These duel tank issues seem to be the norm, I'm sure you will get it figured out!

Old 08-14-2017, 05:23 PM
radnack
New User
Im not sure if this is the part your looking for but i found this on rockauto. It says it the fuel tank selector valve.
More Information for DORMAN 911000

Old 08-14-2017, 06:19 PM
Bad Bad Leroy Brown
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the picture, I am only seeing 4 hose barbs, doesnt yours have 5?

Old 08-15-2017, 07:32 PM
radnack
New User
On the information it says it has 6 "ports" on it. Im not what they are calling a port.

Quick Reply: 1996 F-250 Disposable?