Sponsored by:

Loose Steering

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 11:31 AM
Country_Mouse
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Loose Steering

Hi Again, I apologize but I can't make sense of the tech thread. Seems mostly for DIY'rs. Would like to start taking care of this steering issue. Steering wheel turns about an inch in both directions before wheels start to turn . How do we tighten this up?

Thanks,

CM

Old 07-31-2017, 11:41 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
First step is to make sure everything under the front end is nice and tight. Ball joints, tie rod ends, track bar bushings, etc. Anything that controls the front tires needs to be looked at carefully. Also have someone turn the wheel while you are looking at everything. You might be able to spot where the play is. A lot of the time it's in the steering box. You can sometimes adjust them, but not everyone has good results with it. However, everyone that I know has had excellent results by swapping out the steering box with a Redhead, when the steering box was the problem.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:46 AM
Country_Mouse
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by andym
First step is to make sure everything under the front end is nice and tight. Ball joints, tie rod ends, track bar bushings, etc. Anything that controls the front tires needs to be looked at carefully. Also have someone turn the wheel while you are looking at everything. You might be able to spot where the play is. A lot of the time it's in the steering box. You can sometimes adjust them, but not everyone has good results with it. However, everyone that I know has had excellent results by swapping out the steering box with a Redhead, when the steering box was the problem.
Thanks. Gives me somewhere to start. I will have shop inspect at same time as rotors. I've heard about Redhead on here before just didn't know the process of elimination.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:50 AM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Received 135 Likes on 131 Posts
I have adjusted mine a couple times. Does help some but seems to not last very long.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:26 AM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it turns out to be play in the steering box, another vote for the Redhead, it has served me well. I don't do much of my own work any longer so had a shop install for me.

Old 09-14-2017, 02:39 PM
hest_c
Junior User
Hi all, jumping on this as well as I seem to have the same problem. I've replaced everything under the front: ball joints, tie rod ends, track bar, new steering box, etc. Have to replace my power steering pump but found that, while digging in there to replace the steering box, the lower end of the steering shaft where it connects to the box, is what has the play. I can't seem to find that part anywhere though, anyone have ideas?

Old 09-14-2017, 02:56 PM
kevinh55
New User
What is "Redhead"?

Old 09-14-2017, 02:58 PM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Received 135 Likes on 131 Posts
It's a company that modifies stock steering boxes for higher durability and precision. Do a search and you will find quite a bit

Old 09-14-2017, 03:17 PM
kevinh55
New User
Thank you I have a '56 Ford 250 and it has loose steering

Old 09-14-2017, 04:51 PM
Watcher58
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Being as I have tried everything else, the steering box is next. The local Ford dealer replaced my steering box with a new(rebuilt I'm sure) steering box. That made it worse. I would like to do the Redhead at some point. If you are talking about that area where the wheel is centered and then you move it left or right and nothing happens this is your likely culprit. You are always on guard as natural drifting from road contours makes the X move, you never know how much to move the wheel without overcorrecting. I had the front end checked 3 different times by 3 different shops plus my own hands on inspection. Usually front end components will let the vehicle drift a lot when you are holding the wheel straight with no movement as will alignment. However, that's not the issue. It's trying to steer while having to constantly pay attention to any movement you make versus driving down the road, paying attention, and making minor intuitive corrections. It's very tiring to drive. Tightening the gear box only gives you more resistance while you steer in the dead zone ( an oxymoron I know). Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that the steering box is the issue in light of my previous X and this one. I would not put my money toward anything but a Red Head. Just my $.02.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:26 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Watcher58
Being as I have tried everything else, the steering box is next. The local Ford dealer replaced my steering box with a new(rebuilt I'm sure) steering box. That made it worse. I would like to do the Redhead at some point. If you are talking about that area where the wheel is centered and then you move it left or right and nothing happens this is your likely culprit. You are always on guard as natural drifting from road contours makes the X move, you never know how much to move the wheel without overcorrecting. I had the front end checked 3 different times by 3 different shops plus my own hands on inspection. Usually front end components will let the vehicle drift a lot when you are holding the wheel straight with no movement as will alignment. However, that's not the issue. It's trying to steer while having to constantly pay attention to any movement you make versus driving down the road, paying attention, and making minor intuitive corrections. It's very tiring to drive. Tightening the gear box only gives you more resistance while you steer in the dead zone ( an oxymoron I know). Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that the steering box is the issue in light of my previous X and this one. I would not put my money toward anything but a Red Head. Just my $.02.
How much caster is yours set up with ? your description here and in the past leads me to believe your Ex needs more caster.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:56 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 929 Likes on 677 Posts
An inch in either direction isn't too bad. I tightened my steering box due to 40 degrees of turn before the tires grabbed hold and turned. I was able to get it down to 15 degrees on the Ford steering box.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:16 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I have about an inch or two of play. I have debated getting a redhead to fix it but I will probably wait until it's worse. But 40*? Wow! Reminds me of a girl I knew in school...

Old 09-15-2017, 06:07 PM
Harvard
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
+ caster

From Popular Mechanics May 1973:

"If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave, thus necessitating constant corrections in steering."

Old 09-15-2017, 07:29 PM
Watcher58
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
How much caster is yours set up with ? your description here and in the past leads me to believe your Ex needs more caster.
I haven't had it checked yet since I live in the wilderness. Will be moving back into civilization in a month or two and will get an alignment so I can sit and watch it. I even have center hole shims if needed. The thing is that it's not that it's wandering around much because this one doesn't. However, if the wind blows on the flat plains, it moves you around. Also, the roads out here have quite a crown to them and the lanes are probably legal width by an inch. There's not much room for error. I can be on a flat straight area and hands off and it tracks straight. It's just that when I do have to make a correction, I'll move the wheel an inch or more and nothing happens. Then with a bit more wheel movement- suddenly the steering reacts so I can end up overcorrecting. So I am making a correction and having to be really careful with moving it just enough. That's what's tiring.It's like there is an area of steering movement that is just dead. There is no feedback or feel in the steering in that area. It's also very very easy to move the wheel within the confines of the dead zone. So-easy-no feedback-no movement and then the steering engages. I agree with the 5+ degrees caster. It's just that any off center movement of the wheel requires extra care. I'll definitely be getting it aligned long before I have my pennies saved for a redhead. I will dance with joy if that fixes the steering issue.

Quick Reply: Loose Steering