2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Sat Radio Reception

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 08:46 AM
abone2010
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sat Radio Reception

First time Super Duty owner here, first time poster. Picked up my F-350 Limited in May to be used primarily for towing our 27' AS trailer. Retired so lots of trips already, and planned.

This is my 4th vehicle with Sat radio but the first with crappy reception. It's almost impossible to listen to Sirius as it cuts out so much. Doesn't seem to matter what the geography is like, mountains, flats, major or secondary highways, its just lousy.

Always like to be armed with intel before getting on my local service dept...anyone else having this issue?

Oh yeah, the Sony system isn't very good....sound is mediocre to say the least.

Love the truck, the above is really my only serious beef.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:49 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,666 Likes on 2,739 Posts
My reception for the Sirius radio is flaky on occasion. Maybe 1% of the time. I solved that by not resubscribing.

The Sony radio is indeed subpar for as expensive as these trucks are. The system in my '07 Nissan Titan was far better.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:54 AM
abone2010
6th Gear
Thanks for the reply. This truck replaced a 1500 Ram Limited EcoDiesel with an Alpine...I was really impressed with the sound. My other vehicle is a nearly 8 year old Infiniti FX50s, which has much superior sound. Not sure what Ford was thinking here.
My reception is much worse than 1%...its just impossible to listen to, which is super annoying as I use Sirius all the time.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:03 AM
texrdnec
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
mine will lose reception for a second every so often but it's not so bad that it's impossible to listen to, a slight annoyance at most

now once it stopped altogether and said it was acquiring satellites. did that until I stopped next and turned the ignition off and then back on, been fine since

Old 07-26-2017, 09:04 AM
TrikeDawg
Tuned
I have poor reception in the wide open areas of Texas. I will not be renewing subscription at the end of my term. Acquiring Signal message is too frequent compared to my 2015 model.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:25 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Call Sirius Radio and give them you radio I.D. and ask them to send you another signal. Be sure that the truck has a horizon to horizon view so that you can get the best signal.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:40 AM
River Wild
Fleet Mechanic
Received 270 Likes on 164 Posts
This is the 4th vehicle in 4 years with sirius/xm and reception has sucked for every one of them (2 Jeeps and a Toyota). I don't expect good signal in the woods where I live but in the flats and wide open spaces it's still crap. It's completely worthless as far as I'm concerned. I don't listen to it and wish a person could choose to not have it at all. That should be an option! In six months I'll get to enjoy the incessant phone calls to renew and no matter how many times I tell them no, I'll get that once a week call.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:42 AM
abone2010
6th Gear
Originally Posted by shortride
Call Sirius Radio and give them you radio I.D. and ask them to send you another signal. Be sure that the truck has a horizon to horizon view so that you can get the best signal.
Great suggestion, I will try that. Thanks!

Old 07-26-2017, 10:11 AM
PwerStroke99
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
My reception is fine, except when driving through the mountain passes of North Idaho. Everywhere else I have never had issues.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:12 AM
RightWingNutJob
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Out of curiosity... do you have a light bar, headache rack, or any other antenna on your roof that could be affecting your Sirius antenna's reception?

It's also possible that there could be a nick in the insulation/shielding of the SIRIUS antenna wire that degrades your reception and causes the signal to cut out. Would make sense since you're reporting it dropping out so frequently. Not sure if Ford Service is set up to trouble shoot antennas but it's a worth a try.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:23 AM
Nimrod
Senior User
Im old and ornery. I have two vehicles that came off SIRIUS and XM trials a couple of months ago. The regular subscription rate which is their standard is outrageous. They are hounding me with sweet short term offers but I will not get in the cable or satellite TV pricing game with my radios. If they just had a reasonable yearly rate I think they could do a lot more business than trying to renegotiate every few months. Just not gonna do it.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:50 AM
SpudzShep
Junior User
When I moved up to Alaska, I drove up through BC, and that's about the point where my reception started cutting out. When I called Sirius, the rep stated that they don't support Alaska as part of their reception cone, so I was basically SoL on that.

That's been my experience with all satellite radio equipped vehicles up here. Occasionally I'll get a blip of signal, but for the most part it's just static. I guess I shouldn't be surprised they don't support signal this far north.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:06 PM
abone2010
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RightWingNutJob
Out of curiosity... do you have a light bar, headache rack, or any other antenna on your roof that could be affecting your Sirius antenna's reception?

It's also possible that there could be a nick in the insulation/shielding of the SIRIUS antenna wire that degrades your reception and causes the signal to cut out. Would make sense since you're reporting it dropping out so frequently. Not sure if Ford Service is set up to trouble shoot antennas but it's a worth a try.
I have the sun roof and running lights, but nothing else. I do have a Pace Edwards electric tonneau but it my signal was lousy before that was installed.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:08 PM
abone2010
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SpudzShep
When I moved up to Alaska, I drove up through BC, and that's about the point where my reception started cutting out. When I called Sirius, the rep stated that they don't support Alaska as part of their reception cone, so I was basically SoL on that.

That's been my experience with all satellite radio equipped vehicles up here. Occasionally I'll get a blip of signal, but for the most part it's just static. I guess I shouldn't be surprised they don't support signal this far north.
My other vehicles all worked fine, same areas as I am using this truck. I can understand it gets spotty going through the Rockies, but not on the I5 in WA. It was cutting in an out there too and that's never happened before.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:09 PM
rwilimo
Fleet Mechanic
For the short while that I lived with the factory radio the Sirius reception was fine although to me their sound quality is horrible coupled with to high of a fee so se ya Sirius. I had a vehicle years ago that had horrible Sirius reception, I tried multiple antenna's, nothing worked. Later down the road the tuner failed, when I installed a replacement tuner my reception was perfect to it certainly could be a hardware fault, I would take it the dealer and see what they come up with if your planning to keep it.

Quick Reply: Sat Radio Reception