Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Is it worth it?

Old 07-25-2017, 01:51 PM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Received 139 Likes on 79 Posts
Is it worth it?

Ok, a guy I know has a 2000 F350 Supercab 2wd dually for sale here in the UK, it is relatively low mileage (under 150k) has full banks kit, a body kit, slide away tonneau & 5th wheel hitch. It has zero corrosion, well maintained etc etc.
I think that it would make good money over your side of the pond, it is getting no interest here as people here do not appreciate just how good these trucks are. So is it worth shipping it across to sell? What sort of money would it make, realistically, as I'd have to factor in the shipping etc, does anyone have experience of registration with an import?
Any comments welcome.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:18 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
2WD here goes for much less than a 4x4 and values vary drastically depending on location, and I mean drastically. Here's some Ebay stuff to look at for comparison but, of course, no two trucks are the same. Is that truck a right hand drive? I would expect that it would have to meet safety standards for the model year (like air bags and seat belts). Are you familiar with Kelly Blue Book for car values?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ly&_sacat=6000

This may help a little too.

https://www.kbb.com/whats-my-car-worth/

Old 07-25-2017, 05:20 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,439 Likes on 2,839 Posts
I can say after being stationed in England for 6 years I have no idea how you maneuver that thing around, anywhere in that country.

Is there any possibility to you selling it to an American forces member at one of the major RAF locations like Lakenheath or Mildenhall? Some of the others are less populated, but still so like Menwith Hill and Fairford. Not sure if they still do, but when I was at Lakenheath from 99-2005 we had a base paper that had a classifieds section in it. You could get in touch with the Public Affairs office on the base and go from there.

As an American forces member, they may have zero issues with purchasing and importing the vehicle back to the states as it is not a true British standard vehicle. It was made to American safety standards and other than the running lights, would need nothing swapped out or changed over.

The rules about shipping a vehicle were as long as you brought one with you to England, you could have one shipped back to the states for free. They can pay a shipping charge, which is much less than what a private citizen would be charged if they are wanting to ship multiple vehicles.

I shipped a 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP over to your neck of the woods and sold it for a profit. Then, before leaving the country I bought a 2004 Audi S4 (incredible car) through a military tax free program and shipped that back on the governments dime. It was build to American standards, besides the fact it was imported and purchased in England. Again, I did have to have the running lights modified, but not a big deal to switch back, which I did myself at the port when I picked it up in Atlanta.

Just an idea friend.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:44 PM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks guys, it was just a thought, I guess that if it was 4wd & full crewcab it might be worth the hassle, but 2wd does seem to affect prices over there more than it does here.
Mark, the parts that you sorted for me should be here soon, the container has been delayed somewhat due to a cyber attack on the shipping company, creating havoc around the world, I'm sure that others have been affected by this far more than me.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:22 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,439 Likes on 2,839 Posts
You have to make another consideration when thinking about selling on this side of the pond or to an American forces member. The exchange rate from dollar to pound is not in your favor. I know this is comparing apples to oranges in regards to the exchange rate, but you would receive even less pounds sterling after the dollars had been converted.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:29 PM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
I think it works better for exporting, when we could get nearer to $2 for a pound it was great buying stuff from you, now it's $1.3 it hurts like hell!

Old 07-26-2017, 04:59 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by Shovelheadrob
Thanks guys, it was just a thought, I guess that if it was 4wd & full crewcab it might be worth the hassle, but 2wd does seem to affect prices over there more than it does here.
Mark, the parts that you sorted for me should be here soon, the container has been delayed somewhat due to a cyber attack on the shipping company, creating havoc around the world, I'm sure that others have been affected by this far more than me.
I was wondering and am surprised that they're not there yet but I don't have much experience on exporting good to Europe (If Brits consider themselves Europeans).

Old 07-27-2017, 12:39 AM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
I was wondering and am surprised that they're not there yet but I don't have much experience on exporting good to Europe (If Brits consider themselves Europeans).
I use a consolidation service, for non urgent stuff, it comes by sea & often arrives via other European ports, I can have urgent parts here in a few days but at huge shipping cost. This is far longer than usual though due to the cyber hack.