6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Look What happens when you put DEF in the Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 12:10 PM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look What happens when you put DEF in the Fuel

I Thought this Article may be of interest to some.
https://www.dieselworldmag.com/when-...-fluid-misuse/

Old 07-22-2017, 01:27 PM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
As if needed, one more reason to consider DEF delete.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:49 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,625 Likes on 1,643 Posts
Also a good reason to leave the cell phone in the house, or on the dash, or anywhere but on your person when fueling/adding DEF!!!! Or have enough self control to just let it ring!!!!!! Just pay attention to what one is doing!!!!!

Old 07-22-2017, 03:29 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,301 Posts
I thought the samething from reading the article that making sure that your head is properly placed on shoulders before pumping or was it to make sure you don't **** anyone off that can add a contaminate to the fueling system.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:55 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This is a reason I don't pump DEF, but buy the jugs instead. When I put the spout in the jug and have the blue cap off, I know just where it's going. But if I am at a pump, muscle memory wants to put the nozzle in the green filler.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:41 AM
radium
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm sorry I'm not exactly The Brightest Bulb in the bunch, come on folks you can't remember not to put Def in your fuel tank? I can understand if it's your first diesel but after owning one for a few months you should understand how it works. I also blame the dealers for not explaining it to new customers the other day a young guy just had the entire fuel system replaced he put the DEF right into his fuel tank then realized he did it but, drove it anyways didn't think the few gallons would matter. However one good part of the story apparently my dealer found the entire fuel system kit for $4,500 then of course labor but that's still cheaper than the old days. My simple rule is every 4000 mil it needs two and a half gallons I use the Ford nozzle simple I don't wait for the countdown or any of that BS doing the same thing with the 17 now even though it's more accurately read with the meter compared to the 16 warnings take care

Old 07-23-2017, 06:48 AM
radium
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
By the way this is why I had a locking fuel door on my 16 Jimmy rigged it myself. I will be doing the same thing to the 17 as soon as I get time once again don't care if they bend the door to get in I want it flimsy that way I know they touch something everyone knows what happens with d e f is entered into a diesel fuel system especially someone who wouldn't like you or a hippie tree hugger who thinks he's saving the Earth LOL

Old 07-23-2017, 09:27 AM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 229 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
This is a reason I don't pump DEF, but buy the jugs instead. When I put the spout in the jug and have the blue cap off, I know just where it's going. But if I am at a pump, muscle memory wants to put the nozzle in the green filler.
This really doesn't make sense to me. Have you pumped DEF? The only places I have found, you have to pull into a big rig lane, pull the nozzle out of a sliding door and hold your breath from the ammonia fumes that are coming out. The nozzle looks and feels completely different from any gas or diesel nozzle I've seen. There is no "muscle memory" there. The entire experience is foreign feeling to me. I guess everyone should do it the way that they feel most comfortable, but I can't see how it would be easier to mess up with the pump than the jug.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:30 AM
Nipperdog
Elder User
I won't buy my DEF from a Truck Stop Pump. For one thing the stuff could be Contaminated or of low quality. If I have to make a Long drive I simply put a 2.5 gal Jug into the Bed, and when the level is low enough refill the DEF Tank.
When I purchase it by the Jug I know what I'm putting into the Truck.
Just bought some at Tractor Supply Yesterday for $6.99/2.5gal

Old 07-23-2017, 11:50 AM
razehm
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you know what they put in the jug is any better than at a truck stop? Is it a huge deal for the exhaust system to have lower quality DEF? I mean it burns the black soot exhaust so it turns white or just not dark black so does it matter?

Old 07-23-2017, 12:12 PM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Originally Posted by razehm
How do you know what they put in the jug is any better than at a truck stop? Is it a huge deal for the exhaust system to have lower quality DEF? I mean it burns the black soot exhaust so it turns white or just not dark black so does it matter?
The DEF that I use has a Certification on the label as to it's quality.

The API Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) Certification Program is a voluntary program designed to certify and monitor the quality characteristics of diesel exhaust fluid intended for use in motor vehicles with diesel engines. Diesel exhaust fluid marketers that have demonstrated that their products satisfy the requirements of the most recent and applicable edition of ISO 22241, Diesel engines – NOx reduction agent AUS 32, may be licensed to display the API Diesel Exhaust Fluid Certification Mark.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:34 PM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 229 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Nipperdog
The DEF that I use has a Certification on the label as to it's quality.

The API Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) Certification Program is a voluntary program designed to certify and monitor the quality characteristics of diesel exhaust fluid intended for use in motor vehicles with diesel engines. Diesel exhaust fluid marketers that have demonstrated that their products satisfy the requirements of the most recent and applicable edition of ISO 22241, Diesel engines – NOx reduction agent AUS 32, may be licensed to display the API Diesel Exhaust Fluid Certification Mark.
So you think the truck stops use sub standard DEF? That wouldn't make much sense, seeing that they probably serve the biggest community of users of the product. Standards are generally used across an industry regardless of the method of delivery.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:43 PM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Originally Posted by elee3
So you think the truck stops use sub standard DEF? That wouldn't make much sense, seeing that they probably serve the biggest community of users of the product. Standards are generally used across an industry regardless of the method of delivery.
No, I expressed my thoughts on buying Bulk DEF. I guess all of the Drivers who filled up with Contaminated Fuel and lost an Engine didn't think it could happen to them either. I would imagine that if you were unfortunate to take on some bad DEF from a Pump, Ford would dis own you as far as your Warranty.
I'm just taking one Probability out of the Equation.