Excursion owner to be

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 02:04 AM
Pirublues
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excursion owner to be

Hello all I'm James, new here,

I've been looking for a v10 excursion to tow my fusion to Texas in August, for our upcoming move. The v10 ex's here in southern California are pretty cheap and can be found in great condition. While looking I came across a 2000 ex 7.3 limited that's 2wd with 200k miles. The price is hard to pass up. I went to check it out and took it for a 20min test drive. It drove great, it didn't wander, smoke, hiccup at all. I ran my scanner on it and there were no codes. The service records show it received a new water pump and coolant hoses 50k miles ago and fuel bowl (?) Replacement about 70k so 2 all done by a ford dealer. The owner thinks The transmission was replaced at some point, it shifted smooth. The suspension and brakes felt new and smooth. The truck could use front seats and a new windshield. She's not the prettiest but she seems to dance well. I'm having a ppi done tomorrow by DieselTech. If it comes out as okay as I think it will then I'm going to buy it.

This would be my first 7.3, I used to own a mostly stock 06 f250 CC Lariat with a 6.0 at 215k miles. It was stolen on this day last year. It never had issues at all.

Few questions:
I noticed the truck was running blue/green coolant. Should I switch to Rotella ELC?

I heard the 6.0 trans cooler is a good upgrade. Is that a must do before i haul my family and car from California to Texas?

Is the hellwig rear sway kit worth it?

What other things should I do before this trip to make sure it can be trouble free?

Thanks for having me. Lots of knowledge here

Old 07-18-2017, 02:07 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Howdy from The Great State of Texas!

Sorry to hear about your truck getting stolen, it's bad down here in Texas. Those trucks are so awesome and dependable, even thieves prefer them over Dodges and Chevies....

When people ask me to find a truck for them, I usually advise against 2wd as too many of the people I help with these trucks often regret not buying a 4wd truck. (It's the reason why I have a 2005 Excursion with 4wd)

It sounds like the truck was well cared for.

The Hellwig rear sway bar or even an F350 sway bar makes all the difference in the handling of these trucks. I didn't bother with the Hellwig and went with the F350 rear sway and Excursion end links. The Hellwig comes as a kit with everything you need. I got an F350 rear sway from Acf6 for $55 shipped that had all the brackets except the Excursion rear sway links.

I have the 6.0 trans cooler on my '01 and it's kept my trans ridiculously cool towing the heaviest of trailers in the Hot Texas heat, I rarely if ever broke 160 degrees towing and the transmission has stood the test of time because of it.

If you found green coolant, google Gooch's coolant flush procedure,pick up some restore and restore plus, plenty of distilled water, and 4 gallons of Rotella ELC. I'd also look into Dieselsite's Coolant filter kit.

Before you leave for the trip, maintenance is key: Fluids, Filters, and Fuel.

-coolant flush
-power steering fluid (use either Mercon V or Hydraulic fluid 32) look for the flush procedure in the tech folder
-Check the fuel filter and make sure you had a Motorcraft filter and lid. The aftermarket caps and filters don't filter as well as can lead to water and other contaminants making it to the injectors.
-Check the rear diff fluid and make sure it's not milky. If it is, use 85w140 and Limited Slip additive. Guzzle 7.3 has a great write up on a lot of the maintenance procedures.

I'm still at work, but this should get you off to a good start

Btw, where in Texas are you moving to?

Old 07-18-2017, 03:28 PM
Pirublues
Mountain Pass
Thanks for the information!

Unfortunately they like these powerstrokes just as much here. As well as the 3rd row seats and the tailgaits on the trucks.

In regards to the 4x2 vs 4x4, I am usually going to go for 4x4 but I used it zero times with the F250. I dont expect to see any off roading or snow in the truck. Mostly just hauling family, stuffs, and the car to the track and back. For the price I think I'm doing alright

So, for the rear sway bar get the F350 stuff with excursion rear sway links, got it!

For the 6.0 trans cooler, is aftermarket or OEM best?

The maintenance records show power steering flush done by the dealer, I'll have to recheck and see what fluid was used.

Noted on the rear diff fluid, thanks!

I'm moving to the northeast side of San Antonio.

Another question (I feel like I'll have a lot of these), anyway to fit the dvd option into a limited that was not optioned with a rear dvd? The truck has an aftermarket touch screen headunit that I didnt pay much attention to.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:50 PM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spare CPS would be a good idea, good set of batteries would also be a good.

Old 07-18-2017, 04:13 PM
Pirublues
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by agsmv1
Where's a good place to buy a spare cps?
Batteries seem new.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:29 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by agsmv1
And a 10 mm wrench (I believe) in the glove box to replace the CPS if you're stuck on the side of the road if it failed.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:29 PM
Pirublues
Mountain Pass
Appreciate the information guys!

cps and 10mm tools

Old 07-18-2017, 10:31 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
1. check all 5 door locks. they are prone to failing, and then leaving you with a rig that isn't secured. You'll hear a noise, but no movement
about $10 each on eBay/Amazon to replace. there is a write-up in the tech folder (top of forum) to rebuild/repair for free. but it takes time. pick a path, easy job once you have hang of it
2. make sure your tires are top notch and are E rated. The door sticker on early models said D rated, so many people run those. They're safe enough, but it's scary as hell with certain brands. also, not sure if you've been to Texas in summer, but the heat combined with towing is murder on them. I'm from just North of Austin, and it's about to be 100-110F season

3. FYI the Superduty windshield fits, and is almost same price as Excursion windshield so you can get that cool top portion. It's also a good idea to check that the current seal isn't leaking.

4. Check your hitch bolts. Early models have a lower rating because the bolts are smaller. That Fusion is a welterweight compared to what some guys in here tow, but the trailer could be a heavy beast. U-Haul?

5. I highly recommend you upgrade the headlights to 05-07 version. The difference in light output alone makes this a worthy upgrade. Plus they're just prettier. Safety and all that jazz. Search craigslist, I see OEM ones all the time for <$100

6. 2wd means you won't have most of the complaints most X owners have. You will still have those "awesome" G codes out back. If time/budget allow, highly recommend Modded B codes (99-04 models), or Modded F codes (05-07 models). The difference in ride quality is utterly amazing. I personally would do this before doing a rear swaybar, and it would be cheaper if you shop around

I'm jealous. I've been trying to get back to Texas for the past 17yrs. But the Navy has her own ideas of where I need to be.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:20 PM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is where I spend most of my money... Motorcraft Cam Position Sensor CPS 94-03

Old 07-19-2017, 01:26 AM
Pirublues
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Tylus
1. check all 5 door locks. they are prone to failing, and then leaving you with a rig that isn't secured. You'll hear a noise, but no movement
about $10 each on eBay/Amazon to replace. there is a write-up in the tech folder (top of forum) to rebuild/repair for free. but it takes time. pick a path, easy job once you have hang of it
2. make sure your tires are top notch and are E rated. The door sticker on early models said D rated, so many people run those. They're safe enough, but it's scary as hell with certain brands. also, not sure if you've been to Texas in summer, but the heat combined with towing is murder on them. I'm from just North of Austin, and it's about to be 100-110F season

3. FYI the Superduty windshield fits, and is almost same price as Excursion windshield so you can get that cool top portion. It's also a good idea to check that the current seal isn't leaking.

4. Check your hitch bolts. Early models have a lower rating because the bolts are smaller. That Fusion is a welterweight compared to what some guys in here tow, but the trailer could be a heavy beast. U-Haul?

5. I highly recommend you upgrade the headlights to 05-07 version. The difference in light output alone makes this a worthy upgrade. Plus they're just prettier. Safety and all that jazz. Search craigslist, I see OEM ones all the time for <$100

6. 2wd means you won't have most of the complaints most X owners have. You will still have those "awesome" G codes out back. If time/budget allow, highly recommend Modded B codes (99-04 models), or Modded F codes (05-07 models). The difference in ride quality is utterly amazing. I personally would do this before doing a rear swaybar, and it would be cheaper if you shop around

I'm jealous. I've been trying to get back to Texas for the past 17yrs. But the Navy has her own ideas of where I need to be.
1. I checked the 4 doors but not the rear, will do and thanks.

2. Tires are good but not good enough for me. So I'll be replacing them before the trip. Thanks. I went to basic training in San Antonio in July and August. I doubt it gets hotter there than here. I don't live in the beautiful coastal southern California. I'm just west of palm springs which is hot as all hell!

3. That's super helpful and makes thibgs easier. What year ranges can I look?

4. Never knew that. I'll check it out. Thanks

5. I was actually wondering if that's possible. I'll search some threads and see how it can be done.

6. It drives so smooth and well that I'm actually afraid of making any changes lol. The nomenclature used for the suspension parts still kind of confuses me.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:23 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Pirublues
1. I checked the 4 doors but not the rear, will do and thanks.
rhwts the one that people miss lol

3. That's super helpful and makes thibgs easier. What year ranges can I look?
99-07 fit 100%. 08+ should, but I'd be lying if I said for certainty

5. I was actually wondering if that's possible. I'll search some threads and see how it can be done.
A million how to guides. 10-15 minutes with a dremel per side, and you need 05+ bulb pigtail which sells for $10 at Autozone. Super easy

Other way is to install 05 header panel. But it doesn't fit with bumper without playing. Would only do if swapping entire front to 05+ look

6. It drives so smooth and well that I'm actually afraid of making any changes lol. The nomenclature used for the suspension parts still kind of confuses me.i think everyone feels that way. I'm on my second X. Even now, I'm still surprised at how much better mine rides. And I've done it twice
In bold above

Old 07-19-2017, 08:12 AM
Pirublues
Mountain Pass
Agsmv1 thanks for the link

Old 07-19-2017, 08:13 AM
Pirublues
Mountain Pass
Tylus thanks for the help and for your service

Old 07-19-2017, 01:59 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
If you found green coolant, google Gooch's coolant flush procedure
Shut your mouth! Shame on you, Tor!

OP, I've never said this before, but IGNORE what my fellow moderator has posted regarding Gooch's coolant flush procedure. Instead, click on the Read First sticky thread titled "Excursion Tech Folder" and click the link I have listed there for the flush procedure!

"Google", he said.....grumble, grumble, grumble....

Another question (I feel like I'll have a lot of these), anyway to fit the dvd option into a limited that was not optioned with a rear dvd?
Yes. When I bought my 2000 MY truck back in '04, I had the dealership add the OEM DVD overhead to my Ex as part of the deal.

Where's a good place to buy a spare cps?
Clay at RiffraffDiesel.com. He started as one of us in the 7.3L forum and when he got downsized at his job many, many years ago, he started Riffraff and never looked back.

Riffraff is a supporting vendor here as well as the Excursion forum sponsor.

Stewart

Old 07-19-2017, 04:06 PM
Pirublues
Mountain Pass
Well I bought the truck so, it begins!

Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Shut your mouth! Shame on you, Tor!

OP, I've never said this before, but IGNORE what my fellow moderator has posted regarding Gooch's coolant flush procedure. Instead, click on the Read First sticky thread titled "Excursion Tech Folder" and click the link I have listed there for the flush procedure!

"Google", he said.....grumble, grumble, grumble....

Yes. When I bought my 2000 MY truck back in '04, I had the dealership add the OEM DVD overhead to my Ex as part of the deal.

Clay at RiffraffDiesel.com. He started as one of us in the 7.3L forum and when he got downsized at his job many, many years ago, he started Riffraff and never looked back.

Riffraff is a supporting vendor here as well as the Excursion forum sponsor.

Stewart
I went through 36 pages in this section just because I was bored and never once thought to look at the stickys lol
Will order the CPS through that guy. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Excursion owner to be