1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

The Build, 54 C500

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 02:25 PM
lgfuller
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Build, 54 C500

Ok, so yesterday I asked Bad moon (Mark) a question on the reframe. It kind of started something with Ken asking me a question after that. In order not to hijack Mark, here it is. Thee back story on the CabbyOver, as my smidge call's it.

Its the first build I ever did with my dad back in the early 90's. I'm looking for a couple of pictures of it from back then. Countless hours of work went into this thing. Long story short we ended up as the lien holders on the truck. In 2010 the guy called my dad out of the blue, and we ended up with the truck back in our possession. FREE and clear. It had a 383 chevy with th350 auto that we had put in it back then. We still had the original Y block sitting in our shed after all those years. (Old Ford Hoarders) My Pops swapped the 383/350 combo to another old guy we've know for years for a 62 F600. It ran, and had a 292 in it. The OG from the cab over became a parts donor for the 62. I was living in Texas, and the truck was in Colorado. I built a 454 for it, but didn't get to take the trip up to install it. Some guy offered me more money than I had in it (for the 454), so I sold it. This is in 2012 or so, and the cab over was sitting in CO with no engine or trans. I got out the Army in January of 14, and headed west from Texas to AZ by way of CO. I have wanted this truck bad since I was a young pup. I got to CO, and the was contemplating scrapping the whole deal, but there is NO rust, and I couldn't bring myself to do it. I had a 77 chevy motorhome from my grandparents, but the back had rotted and wasn't useable anymore. 25,000 og miles on a 290 hp 350, with a turbo 400 trans. Engine donor! Truck was already set up for it, why not use it. My boys from TX came up for a 4 day visit, and we swapped the engine and trans into the Cab over. Still took me a month to get it running, I have a few videos of the first start, and move under its own power. 3 days after I got it running, me and the lil woman headed for AZ, 750 miles, no speedometer, no gas gauge. stopped every 100 miles to fill the 19 gal gas tank. (she drove her car with the smidge). It made the trip, I had to change the throttle cable, and the thermostat in the first 20 miles, but hey, its an adventure. That was in 14. I still use it a bit here and there, but for now its down for a few performance upgrades, and AZ is funny. its gotta be on a commercial plate, and the insurance wont touch it without a commercial policy (that's just having to save a few pennies to pay the bill, its really not that bad, but I spent 2 1/2 years unemployed). Enough of a ramble, here's the Pics of what I started with to the car show this spring. more to follow as I do little bits at a time to her.

Attached Images                   
Old 07-17-2017, 02:28 PM
lgfuller
Senior User
there ya go Ken and Mark, that's the story, and I love the way it drives on the OG frame. 8.25 20 fronts, 11.00r 22.5 on the back. I call it my big *** hotrod! I love it. Had a guy offer me $5000 for it and I laughed and told him to add a few more zeros before id consider selling.....

Old 07-17-2017, 02:28 PM
lgfuller
Senior User
the last 3 pics are in AZ.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:03 PM
Badmoonreizen
Laughing Gas
Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
What a great story!!Glad you persevered and got it running. Looks like the cab is in good shape, and the parts ought to be easier to find than our '56's.

Are those widowmakers on the beast? If so, you want to get rid of them as soon as possible so we have you around to finish the project.

Regards, Mark.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:16 PM
lgfuller
Senior User
NO rust anywhere in the cab, the only OG part I'm missing is the original hood catches. Also, well aware of the widow makers. There are non on this truck. Fronts are the snap ring, and the rear are drop centers.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:07 PM
Badmoonreizen
Laughing Gas
You might want to try Johnny's Junk in Arizona for those hood latches.

Regards, Mark

Old 07-17-2017, 04:22 PM
lgfuller
Senior User
i'll look into johnnys junk. hadn't heard of them before.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:13 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by lgfuller
I got out the Army in January of 14 . . . and there, but for now its down for a few performance upgrades, and AZ is funny. its gotta be on a commercial plate, and the insurance wont touch it without a commercial policy.
Since you were in the Army you should check with USAA for insurance. I have all my cars insured through them and it is much cheaper. I have been with them for 45+ years. I started with them when I came back from a tour in Korea and I bought a Corvette. Insurance was outrageous for a young, single male . . . but not with USAA. Been with them ever since.

Just tell them that you are restoring a 1954 Ford truck and that it doesn't run and is stored and can't be driven. They will give you a significantly lower rate on top of the already low rate for a stored vehicle. I think I paid about $125/yr while mine was stored for the last couple years. And by the way if you have an accident while in the garage like I did earlier this year they still cover the damage. Just make sure that you tell them when you take it out to drive it, even a test drive.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:23 PM
lgfuller
Senior User
I had it insured with USAA, without dropping the truck off the policy, they didn't want to renew the whole policy. Progressive only wants $203 a year for a commercial policy. it just been a matter of $$ and time to go get it insured....

Old 07-18-2017, 05:34 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by lgfuller
I had it insured with USAA, without dropping the truck off the policy, they didn't want to renew the whole policy. Progressive only wants $203 a year for a commercial policy. it just been a matter of $$ and time to go get it insured....
Sounds like someone doesn't understand. Suggest you call again and ask to speak to a supervisor. Progressive?

Old 07-18-2017, 08:28 PM
Ken Newman
Laughing Gas
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Thanks for posting the story and pictures. I have Hagarty insurance for both my '53 and my Fairmont. I have them insured for $20,000 and $25,000 and the premium is less than $750 a year.

Attached Images  
Old 07-19-2017, 08:52 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
I had the same problem with insurance on my COE as it's titled as an F6. Collector insurance wouldn't do it as I want to use it as a truck.....
Ended up with State Farm liability only.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:18 PM
lgfuller
Senior User
So a little update, I called my insurance company to get a quote to add a 87 f250 I just picked up, and lo and behold, the Cab Over still has insurance. Legally they cannot drop it off the policy unless AZ sends them info that I am using it for commercial purposes. Also talked to Johnnys Junk about the original style hood latches. $100 a piece. I know these rigs are unobtanium, but I feel that is a bit steep. Maybe a bill a for the pair. But not each. I'll just have to evaluate how bad I want/need the OG latches........

Old 07-21-2017, 06:26 AM
Badmoonreizen
Laughing Gas
Sorry Johnny was so steep, so keep looking. You will have two open slots in the front of your hood unless you find some latches.
I guess you could fill them in, but I think original is better for this part. Someone, somewhere will have a trashed hood and will sell you the latches reasonably.

Regards, Mark.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:34 AM
Ken Newman
Laughing Gas
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
That does sound high for the latches. I used to follow Johnny on Facebook. They are buying up everything and pricing them like there's none left. He's only a couple of miles from my house. I stopped looking because it was hard to watch the prices go crazy. I found a set of hood latches on eBay for $45.00. It's been a few years ago though.

Quick Reply: The Build, 54 C500