1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Manual Brake Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 09:48 AM
pchelp
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Manual Brake Conversion

Could someone point me to the article on how to swap in a power booster for the FE pickups? I have a donated power booster and MC from a 94' Ranger I would like to install on my F100

Old 07-17-2017, 11:50 AM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
The '94 Ranger MC would work but, I doubt the '94 Ranger brake booster will be a direct bolt-on. I'm fairly certain the Ranger booster was mounted directly to the firewall in its original application. The mounting studs will likely not line up with the existing mounting holes in the firewall/pedal support.

Bumpside and a Dentside boosters mounted to the firewall with a pair of brackets in between. There were three major bracket designs that could have been used, depending on booster type (single diaphragm or dual diaphragm) and year model it was installed in.

If you're installing a power brake booster from a Dentside, it's best to stick with the '77 - earlier models.

I have a dual diaphragm booster/brackets from a '75 F350 in my '69 F100 with a '95 Ford Explorer MC. I have a '77 F100 front disc brake suspension and the stock '69 F100 drums on the rear.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:06 PM
pchelp
Elder User
Originally Posted by ultraranger
The '94 Ranger MC would work but, I doubt the '94 Ranger brake booster will be a direct bolt-on. I'm fairly certain the Ranger booster was mounted directly to the firewall in its original application. The mounting studs will likely not line up with the existing mounting holes in the firewall/pedal support.

Bumpside and a Dentside boosters mounted to the firewall with a pair of brackets in between. There were three major bracket designs that could have been used, depending on booster type (single diaphragm or dual diaphragm) and year model it was installed in.

If you're installing a power brake booster from a Dentside, it's best to stick with the '77 - earlier models.

I have a dual diaphragm booster/brackets from a '75 F350 in my '69 F100 with a '95 Ford Explorer MC. I have a '77 F100 front disc brake suspension and the stock '69 F100 drums on the rear.
Here is a photo of the Booster assembly, I don't mind adding a hole or two to the firewall, my concern is the brake pedal. I don't have access to a welder so any mods to the rod would have to a bolt in solution.

Attached Images  
Old 07-17-2017, 02:08 PM
TeachNlive4ever
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Um, hey brah.....

Old 07-17-2017, 02:41 PM
pchelp
Elder User
Originally Posted by TeachNlive4ever
Um, hey brah.....
Am i missing something?

Old 07-17-2017, 03:13 PM
TeachNlive4ever
Cargo Master
If you need a spot or two, we can do that.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:28 PM
pchelp
Elder User
Originally Posted by TeachNlive4ever
If you need a spot or two, we can do that.
A spot or two of what?

Old 07-21-2017, 08:49 AM
pchelp
Elder User
https://scarebird.com/index.php?rout...product_id=149
I was sent this link, this is only for the adapter kit, throw in the calipers, rotors, MC and the price is $650. The thing that drives me nuts is they use Dodge RAM rotors and GM calipers! Why isn't there a vendor that can make a adapter kits and use Ford parts ?!?!?! I know Ford trucks came with disc brakes in the 70's !

Old 07-21-2017, 09:12 AM
SteveJH
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pchelp
https://scarebird.com/index.php?rout...product_id=149
I was sent this link, this is only for the adapter kit, throw in the calipers, rotors, MC and the price is $650. The thing that drives me nuts is they use Dodge RAM rotors and GM calipers! Why isn't there a vendor that can make a adapter kits and use Ford parts ?!?!?! I know Ford trucks came with disc brakes in the 70's !
There's a 77 with disc brakes at the Albuquerque u pull right now if you're anywhere nearby. I think it won't be there much longer though. But it still had the axles out to the spindles as of yesterday.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:31 AM
pchelp
Elder User
Originally Posted by SteveJH
There's a 77 with disc brakes at the Albuquerque u pull right now if you're anywhere nearby. I think it won't be there much longer though. But it still had the axles out to the spindles as of yesterday.
1,220 miles round trip and all I have are hand tools and a Kia Sol. Thanks anyway SteveJH.

I think I saw a Bump owner on here somewhere that was making and selling custom AC brackets for his IL 6, wonder if he could spec out something?

Old 07-21-2017, 10:31 AM
SteveJH
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pchelp
1,220 miles round trip and all I have are hand tools and a Kia Sol. Thanks anyway SteveJH.

I think I saw a Bump owner on here somewhere that was making and selling custom AC brackets for his IL 6, wonder if he could spec out something?
Are your brakes not working, our do you just want to upgrade them?
If they work, I would just replace worn parts of it were my truck. Patience may reward you with finding the parts in the future closer/cheaper. Also a decent tool kit will be essential. Maybe you can find fellow enthusiasts in your area that can offer help.
my brakes were shot but my truck already had discs up front. So far I have:
Made new hard lines ($30 each for 2-25' rolls nicopp line, assorted flare end nuts $10, $60 for one each manual double flare tool and ISO bubble flare tool, tube bending and cutting tools I already had as well as files, line pliers, and bench vises)
New 95 explorer master cylinder ($50) I think this is a good upgrade, though I would strongly advise against a used one
Reman 78 F350 booster ($70)
Distribution block reseal ($10)
brake cleaner several cans
it adds up quickly.
I haven't been able to bleed the brakes yet and check my work on the lines, hopefully my flare fittings are good and I don't have to redo any of them.
And I still need brake hoses (getting stainless steel about $100), drum hardware kits, wheel cylinders, and possibly
Drums, rotors, callipers, pads, shoes, bearings, seals and maybe more I forgot to mention depending on what they look like when I get to them next month.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:43 AM
pchelp
Elder User
Originally Posted by SteveJH
Are your brakes not working, or do you just want to upgrade them?
Main purpose is to make it more driver friendly, I have a daughter that will eventually wanting to drive this. I also believe there are some other Ford truck owners that have thought the same thing. Why not make an adapter that uses still available Ford parts? I have reviewed the front end swaps and I have to admit that's a ton of work to just get Ford disc brakes. I don't know, maybe I'm just dreaming

Old 07-21-2017, 11:47 AM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
12 fastener points and the suspension is out/in.

Putting an aftermarket disc brake kit on existing beams/radius arms is rather pointless if you don't replace the kingpins/bushings, I-beam and radius arm bushings during the process. The brakes will only work as good as the foundation they're connected to. If the suspension is tight, the brakes will work well. If the suspension is sloppy, the brakes will be too.

If you're going to go to the trouble of removing the existing suspension parts to replace the consumable components, it just seems to make more sense (at least to me), that if you're taking the old suspension loose anyway, to swap in a Dentside front discs/suspension.

I've done this swap twice ('69 F100 and on a '72 F100). It was a worthwhile effort.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:11 PM
TeachNlive4ever
Cargo Master
It's not that bad. It's a Saturday job if your not drinking

Old 07-21-2017, 12:12 PM
pchelp
Elder User
Originally Posted by ultraranger
12 fastener points and the suspension is out/in.

Putting an aftermarket disc brake kit on existing beams/radius arms is rather pointless if you don't replace the kingpins/bushings, I-beam and radius arm bushings during the process. The brakes will only work as good as the foundation they're connected to. If the suspension is tight, the brakes will work well. If the suspension is sloppy, the brakes will be too.

If you're going to go to the trouble of removing the existing suspension parts to replace the consumable components, it just seems to make more sense (at least to me), that if you're taking the old suspension loose anyway, to swap in a Dentside front discs/suspension.

I've done this swap twice ('69 F100 and on a '72 F100). It was a worthwhile effort.
Maybe I am not making my point clear, I wish there was a kit to "bolt on" that uses Ford rotors, calipers etc.

I live in the middle of a huge metroplex, the Pick-n-Pulls don't keep anything older than 90's parts on the lots. If I were to find a donor not only would I have to drive there and back, find a way to pull the parts, they would all have to fit in my Kia LOL !

I agree with you, when I go to install the kit (with Dodge rotors and GM calipers) I will most like order the pins and bushings to replace the worn out parts. Again all these are small and can be shipped to my local Parts distributor or even my home.

Quick Reply: Manual Brake Conversion