Planning 300 build looking for links and information

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 09:57 PM
JoeDaf
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning 300 build looking for links and information

Finally found another pickup with a recently rebuilt 300 that the owner had rebuilt and hasn't put 500 miles on it. I had a 300 years ago I put a off DP on and a Edelbrock 650 on and that thing ran like a champ. It was and 83 model so it had the duraspark 2. Unfortunately this truck is an 84 with all the electronic feedback crap on it. What I'm trying to accomplish is find the links to everything that I want to do such as ignition (possibly DUI) intake (Offy DP) EFI manifolds looking at a 268 comp cam port an polish. I am open to any and all suggestions want to get all the links to products and what little things I might need. Thank you all in advance for any insight and knowledge.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:54 PM
jason832
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Summit racing should carry them all. Intakes are commonly out of stock so grab them when available

Old 07-18-2017, 06:28 AM
JoeDaf
Senior User
What are opinions on this distributor

What do you guys think of this distributor?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/FORD-Inline-6-...e782ca%257Ciid

Old 07-18-2017, 06:34 AM
jason832
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can't answer for any aftermarket ignitions, but the durapsark 2 without the feedback is hard to beat. May he worth going that route unless you want all out performance.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:38 AM
JoeDaf
Senior User
Thanks man. I want to possibly go with aftermarket ignition due to bring more geared towards performance. Hopefully someone that has used it can share experiences with it.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:45 AM
TheDudeAbides
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
which part of the ignition are you looking to upgrade? there are "beefier" coils, wires, distributors, etc.
Many here have used most, if not all of those components...including myself. what are your goals? budget? purpose of the truck?
toss some more info out there...it'll help us out.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:58 AM
JoeDaf
Senior User
As far as ignition goes I want to have a stand alone distributor that has a built in coil a one wire distributor per say. As far as money goes like everyone else I want to spend the least I can for he best products. I want to make it a street able truck that I can tow as well as play in. If you catch my drift. It currently has electronic feedback and the stupid distributor. Can you just use msd by itself and not have a fender computer?

Old 07-18-2017, 09:32 AM
TheDudeAbides
Elder User
if you're considering an msd controller and/or an HEI style distributor...money is better spent on the HEI dizzy. Its simple, easy to install, and its a huge improvement over your stock setup. There are a couple choices. Ebay sells one, Summit Racing sells one, and Performance Distributors sells one (the DUI.) I have no personal experience with the first two, but the DUI is a super nice unit. Down side, is its pricey.
having said that, gains can be had by other means as well. Performance distributors does sell a reman DS2 distributor with precision machined bushings and new components inside, dialed for your specific curve. That coupled with the proper coil (many prefer TFI style) and an MSD box...a few guys swear by this setup.
The feedback carb is a PITA...do yourself a favor, and a find an older non-feedback carb, a quality rebuild kit, and set it up proper.
you're on the right track though. before any other tuning i.e. carb stuff, etc....ignition comes first. make sure you've got good spark and your timing is dialed in.
as time goes on, and money allows...carb/intake setups can be purchased. just watch ebay and craigslist. it's hard to beat the EFI exhaust manifolds too.
and to answer your question....the MSD box would replace the stock ignition control box on the fender.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:22 AM
JoeDaf
Senior User
A-Team Performance FORD STRAIGHT 6 CYLINDER 240 & 300 65K COIL HEI Complete Distributor BACK CAP F-100 F-150 F-250 E-100 E-150 1-Wire Instillation
Amazon Amazon

What do you all think of this distributor. It says it has brass terminals and a 1 year warranty.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:07 PM
TheDudeAbides
Elder User
it boils down to price and time. how much money can you spend? also...do you want to have to afford it twice due to questionable manufacturing / bad parts? money can be saved by putting together a reliable setup with different components...but do you have the time to do the homework and install?
if I were to choose between all of the HEI distributors, I'd probably go with a summit racing unit. Price is cheaper than the DUI, they can produce a custom curve for it, and its from a widely known parts dealer at several locations around the country.
There again...it could be the same distributor with a different label on it. Who knows? Won't know until you pull the trigger on it.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:31 PM
Harte3
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You are in one of the right places for information...but you have to sit back with some of your favorite snacks and drinks and...read. Read this Forum and also this one: https://fordsix.com/viewforum.php?f=2. Take notes, read some more, take more notes and then develop a plan and work the plan.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:15 PM
JoeDaf
Senior User
Can I run a non feedback card with the feedback ignition will it will run good enough to run me around?

Old 07-21-2017, 08:48 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeDaf
Can I run a non feedback card with the feedback ignition will it will run good enough to run me around?
Yes, but the performance will be less than optimal and fuel mileage will be poor. The computer will sense that the feedback carb. is gone and will lock the timing @ static [10 degrees BTDC].

Another forum member, JimsRebel, has had good success running a feedback carburetor with a Duraspark distributor.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:44 AM
The Frenchtown Flyer
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
I am of the opinion that unless you plan on a significant increase in (1) compression ratio or (2) RPM range the stock DS II ignition, or HEI equivalent, is perfectly adequate.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:00 AM
darkbreeze
Cross-Country
If your vehicle is an 84 it should still have the separate harness for the pre-computer controlled ignition system. Mine is a late 85 and IT even has it still. In fact, I removed ALL the crap, doing a computer delete, and simply connected the Duraspark harness that is there not being used on the computerized versions to a new distributor and ignition module. That's it. Simple.

The only issue is if you have a carburetor with feedback controls on it. You may have to obtain an earlier carburetor that does not have feedback controls, I think mine is from a 1979 or 80 truck. You can order non-feedback versions of the YF carburetor through most of the part stores. Just do a little research and find a year that has no feedback but has as many similarities otherwise as your current carburetor. I highly recommend finding one that DOES have a choke pulloff. I went with one that doesn't and I really wish I'd have gone with one that did and just plugged off some extra vacuum ports on the side of the carb instead of going with an older one that had minimal vacuum ports and no pulloff.

And contrary to the other statements made here, I see no way that the feedback carburetor could be used without also using the distributor and ignition module that came with it. You can lose some feedback in the system loop, such as an O2 sensor or other various minor sensors, but without the ability to make fuel and timing adjustments based on feedback from both components, I see no way that it could possibly run well without having both. I mean, it will probably RUN, because you can still sometimes run an engine if a TPS or other carb sensor fails, but it runs like dog****e. I think it's delete or don't delete, not halfway delete.