2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Can't get dealers to play ball with order

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 06:39 PM
boulderbronco
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't get dealers to play ball with order

I've done a ton of research on these trucks. I'm definitely getting one. But I would like to order one so I can get exactly the features I want, and not the ones I don't. Two dealers I've been to I never heard back from. A third one was very helpful and "knowledgeable", but the best they would do on an order was less than 4% off MSRP.
I didn't think 10-12% off MSRP was out of line. But I'm not having any luck. Is the market just that hot that dealers don't want to deal with orders? Can they really not make much on them vs. inventory?

Old 07-12-2017, 06:42 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Keep looking. You'll probably have to fly somewhere and drive. But an order is an order and there are definitely dealers willing to take your money for at least around 9-10% off.

Then you get to wait for months for it to show up

Old 07-12-2017, 06:47 PM
ngamountains
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where are you located? I just picked up my special order Monday.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:48 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by boulderbronco
I've done a ton of research on these trucks. I'm definitely getting one. But I would like to order one so I can get exactly the features I want, and not the ones I don't. Two dealers I've been to I never heard back from. A third one was very helpful and "knowledgeable", but the best they would do on an order was less than 4% off MSRP.
I didn't think 10-12% off MSRP was out of line. But I'm not having any luck. Is the market just that hot that dealers don't want to deal with orders? Can they really not make much on them vs. inventory?
Keep looking. If you are willing to travel, deals can be had.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:03 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Are you saying 4% off MSRP prior to rebates? Also, are you just asking for the best they can do or are you using your research to give a justified offer? IMO it's a waste of time not to go in with a reasonable offer you'd say yes to TODAY. It's a today business, not a go home and think about it business. 9/10 customers never come back if you give a "best" price, because the next price is always better.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:04 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Most dealers don't want to play anything.... getting them to play ball sounds like you're trying to play a game. It's a fair amount of work to put an order together and most aren't interested in spending the time just to toss out a number. It's not a worthwhile use of our time (for real).

Old 07-12-2017, 07:08 PM
DSLTRK60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 425 Likes on 238 Posts
The key is going in and knowing how it works. Don't talk payments, don't talk what you can afford, Don't talk financing(yet). Dealers love that.

Ordering is easy money for dealerships, as the vehicle never sits on the lot waiting to be sold.

If you can find a good dealer, expect to pay below invoice and get some of the hold-back off. Plus applicable rebates.

And whats nice about ordering, you can either choose the rebates at the time of ordering or when you take delivery of the truck. Don't let the dealers BS you saying they can't do that.

The first step is to figure what the invoice is for your truck. As an example, the truck I specked out was $41,700 and dealer invoice was $39,100. Hold-back on these trucks is about 3% MSRP, so in my case, $1260.

It's always best to work up on price also.

And Ford really doesn't discriminate on cost by dealer. Sometimes it may be better to go to a small time dealership than a large volume dealer on custom orders.

Just stay firm, but polite. good luck.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:20 PM
2015F350
Senior User
When I first decided to buy a 2017, F350 I went to a local dealer and he did not want to play ball at all. He only wanted to take off the rebate on the order. I thanked him for his time, got up and left. There are too many Ford dealers to have to put up with that. I also went to a high volume dealer and they want to push their inventory over ordering since they want the instant gratification of the sale. Take your time, and research, research. You may get lucky and find what you want on a lot. If not, push them to go 8% if you can get 8% try for 9% you may be there awhile, wear them out.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:41 PM
CRSFX4
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Frantz
Most dealers don't want to play anything.... getting them to play ball sounds like you're trying to play a game. It's a fair amount of work to put an order together and most aren't interested in spending the time just to toss out a number. It's not a worthwhile use of our time (for real).
Come on Frantz, I sent my dealer the specs I wanted and they sent me a pre-order sheet within 1 hour......please explain further what is so involved with a Special Order.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:43 PM
LiquidSteam
Posting Guru
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
its actually REALLY simple. Build your truck on the Ford website. Then decide what you are willing to pay. Email the info to any dealer you are willing to shop at (distance state etc.). Don't worry about invoice or rebates... just decide what you'll be happy paying and let the salesman figure out how to get there.

Come back to the forum and tell us what you built and the msrp...then tell us what your willing to pay and I think everyone on here can offer realistic feedback based on experience.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:51 PM
CRSFX4
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have ordered 2 vehicles with the same dealer and was no issue either time. I would recommend knowing exactly what you want first. I can see where a salesman having to sit down and go through all the trim packages, options, etc MIGHT be considered a waste of their time......
The dealer I work with is a 1 price store.....Invoice + Rebates and other than requiring a $500 deposit, they are more than happy to do Special Orders.....sounds like you just need to find the right dealer.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:53 PM
SpudzShep
Junior User
I just joined this forum after ordering my truck today. I can tell you what I did, which was to grab an X-Plan pin to simplify the haggling. I live in Alaska, and there is quite literally only one Ford dealership within a reasonable driving distance for me. So I can't shop around.

But the X-Plan removed the heartburn of negotiating, as it locked in my price at slightly above Invoice with a set small doc fee. How I got that was to join a Mustang club (Mustang Club of America). That cost me $25, and for that I get a free X-Plan pin that is good for a year.

For reference, I ordered a King Ranch that MSRPs at 75.4k. The print out that I got from the dealership showed my X-Plan out-the-door price at 70.8k. That's before incentives get tacked on. That is far better than the ADM I would normally have to contend with up here.

I think it's worth investigating the X-Plan, if only to have a price point to negotiate against for something even better. Best of luck!

Old 07-12-2017, 07:58 PM
LiquidSteam
Posting Guru
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SpudzShep
I just joined this forum after ordering my truck today. I can tell you what I did, which was to grab an X-Plan pin to simply the haggling. I live in Alaska, and there is quite literally only one Ford dealership within a reasonable driving distance for me. So I can't shop around.

But the X-Plan removed the heartburn of negotiating, as it locked in my price at slightly above Invoice with a set small doc fee. How I got that was to join a Mustang club (Mustang Club of America). That cost me $25, and for that I get a free X-Plan pin that is good for a year.

For reference, I ordered a King Ranch that MSRPs at 75.4k. The print out that I got from the dealership showed my X-Plan out-the-door price at 70.8k. That's before incentives get tacked on. That is far better than the ADM I would normally have to contend with up here.

I think it's worth investigating the X-Plan, if only to have a price point to negotiate against for something even better. Best of luck!

my local ford dealer here in Massachusetts is running a radio add about 2016 Super Duty trucks. The radio add claims that "Mike T." flew in from Alaska and purchased a 2016 and drove back. lol Not sure if its true or not but your post reminded me of that advertisment

Old 07-12-2017, 08:07 PM
burgy
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Are the prices you mention pre tax, tags and destination?

Originally Posted by SpudzShep
I just joined this forum after ordering my truck today. I can tell you what I did, which was to grab an X-Plan pin to simplify the haggling. I live in Alaska, and there is quite literally only one Ford dealership within a reasonable driving distance for me. So I can't shop around.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:10 PM
vancouverbrian
More Turbo
Received 101 Likes on 69 Posts
I took my time and looked around talking with dealers. Most salesperson were clueless about the trucks. Finally started talking with the Fleet Manager at a dealership where my large employer buys from. He was not worried about 1 truck but I came across as serious and stayed away from price and talked trim levels and options. When ready to order, I had a relationship with him. When ordering, he was very helpful in nailing down options I needed not just wanted. The price quoted was invoice plus $850 less Ford incentives. Maybe there was a better price, but felt comfortable I was not getting skinned and a dealer needs to make a profit also. I thought it was fair and there was no negotiations.... this was his price. I happened to order when the incentives were up in Canada (late May). As my truck is about to arrive, they are running Employee Pricing with $1000 Costco off. As it happens, my first price is beating it which I did not think possible. As I understand things, during Employee Pricing, the dealership makes more than a regular retail sale (Ford must be contributing more) and will see if he wants to negotiate a little bit to get to Employee Pricing. I also ordered to get exactly what I wanted. Some dealerships just would not move off MSRP but other dealers do promote lower prices. You have to find the dealer that is happy to make certain amount of profit, and you must follow thru in buying (keeping your word). The trust needs to flow in both directions. I (so far) am very happy with my buying experience at this dealership. BTW...you can search online for that truck on a lot now that is what you are searching for and see if you can get it for what you think it is worth. Also, the build site on Ford is very helpful. But when putting my order in at the dealership, there was an option (not on the build site) to upgrade from the 11,400 GVW to 11,500 GVW. I wanted as much payload as possible and took it. I also built a Platinum compared to the Lariat that I ordered and it was interesting but in the end did not want to spend more money. Good luck in buying your new truck. I also found this forum very helpful even if I did not always agree with everything said to me. It did make me think about all things.

Quick Reply: Can't get dealers to play ball with order