1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Positive Camber After We Replaced The Kingpins and Radius Arm Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 03:31 PM
onlytheclouds
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Positive Camber After We Replaced The Kingpins and Radius Arm Bushings

My dad and I replaced the king pins and radius arm bushing in my 72 f100. We didn't replace anything else and now the topside of my tire points outward, which I believe means my ride height is too high. I can't figure out what to do to fix it. Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:32 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by onlytheclouds
My dad and I replaced the king pins and radius arm bushing in my 72 f100. We didn't replace anything else and now the topside of my tire points outward, which I believe means my ride height is too high. I can't figure out what to do to fix it. Any help is appreciated.
Roll the truck forward or back far enough and the tires and suspension will settle back where it is supposed to be.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:38 PM
onlytheclouds
New User
I should've mentioned that I have been driving it for the last three weeks hoping everything would settle, but no luck

Old 07-10-2017, 05:56 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Are you sure a different pair of springs didn't sneak in there somehow? The same spring perches and I-beams?

Old 07-10-2017, 08:06 PM
onlytheclouds
New User
Very sure nothing else was changed or swapped. Maybe we put the springs back incorrectly?

Last edited by onlytheclouds; 07-10-2017 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-10-2017, 08:15 PM
KULTULZ
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My dad and I replaced the king pins and radius arm bushing in my 72 f100. We didn't replace anything else and now the topside of my tire points outward, which I believe means my ride height is too high.
I think you mean CAMBER.

Did you come across any bushings like this-

...and if so did you put them back in as originally installed?

Attached Images   
Old 07-10-2017, 08:44 PM
onlytheclouds
New User
That picture doesn't look familiar at all

Old 07-11-2017, 06:25 AM
mrpotatohead
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That is a generic picture to illustrate alignment angles. Your suspension is obviously different but the concepts are the same. That offset alignment bushing is for a much later model truck or van with ball joints. Disregard that picture. You're going to need to take a quick photo of your tires to describe what your talking about. Nothing you did should have caused what your describing.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:41 AM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
At the time I swapped to a disc brake front suspension on my truck, I had installed a pair of Moog CC808 progressive rate front coil springs. After the parts were swapped in, I had very noticeable positive camber on the front wheels. I drove the truck probably 20 miles or so before I could get it to the alignment shop and they were still leaning.

When I took the truck to the alignment shop, the front end settled out after they got it up on the rack.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:13 AM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 353 Likes on 283 Posts
The alignment bushing is not meant for the bumpside trucks with kingpins. Those are for newer trucks with ball joints. The proper way to realign a kingpin truck is to bend the I-beam.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:17 AM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
I can't imagine swapping I- beams to the wrong sides would cause it, but just for giggles look at the I-beams. R.H. should have a 3008 on it and L.H. a 3009.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:26 PM
KULTULZ
Cargo Master

My dad and I replaced the king pins and radius arm bushing in my 72 f100.

We didn't replace anything else and now the topside of my tire points outward, which I believe means my ride height is too high. I can't figure out what to do to fix it. Any help is appreciated.
EDIT- Removed ultraranger quote which had no relevance to my reply...

Let's try this again.

You have swing axles and pins, correct?

You put pins and radius arm bushings on it and it now has greater POS camber? Did you remove the axles or install the pins on the truck? If removed did you let the suspension settle before tightening the axle(s) pivot bushings/radius arm bushings down? You may have seized axle pivot bushings or they do not have enough movement due to tightening in a dropped position. How is the trim height of the truck?

Regardless, it needs to go back to the shop for proper diagnosis.

There, I think I can go back outside again...

Last edited by KULTULZ; 07-12-2017 at 05:45 AM. Reason: ADVANCED CRS - SHORT EYEBALLS - HEAD UP A$$
Old 07-11-2017, 01:11 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Originally Posted by KULTULZ

Did you remove the axles or install the pins on the truck? If removed did you let the suspension settle before tightening the axle(s) pivot bushings/radius arm bushings down? You may have seized axle pivot bushings or they do not have enough movement due to tightening in a dropped position.

I think you nailed the OP's problem right there. I think he should raise the truck back up off the ground, loosen the axle pivot bushing's bolts, drop it back on the ground, and tighten the bolts back up,

Old 07-11-2017, 01:29 PM
KULTULZ
Cargo Master
Red face

Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA

I think you nailed the OP's problem right there. I think he should raise the truck back up off the ground, loosen the axle pivot bushing's bolts, drop it back on the ground, and tighten the bolts back up,
Thank You for your vote of confidence...

It is difficult sometimes to see what the poster is saying and I also mixed two different replies in my answer...

I need new glasses. Hard to get real COKE bottles anymore...

Sorry about that Steve...

Old 07-11-2017, 04:05 PM
onlytheclouds
New User
Originally Posted by KULTULZ
Thank You for your vote of confidence...

It is difficult sometimes to see what the poster is saying and I also mixed two different replies in my answer...

I need new glasses. Hard to get real COKE bottles anymore...

Sorry about that Steve...
I think you may be right if I remember we tightened the radius arms while the truck was on jack stands. I'll try fixing it this weekend and let you all know if it works. Thanks everybody for the help. I've been getting info from this forum for years while working on my trucks.

Quick Reply: Positive Camber After We Replaced The Kingpins and Radius Arm Bushings