2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Ford SmartLink - Any update?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 03:11 PM
hinsong
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford SmartLink - Any update?

I've been following the remote access threads very closely, but most specifically this one: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...urity-kit.html

I've seen it mentioned a few times that Ford is supposed to be coming out with SmartLink for 2016 and older (and hopefully our '17s) this summer and I've been waiting on that to decide what to buy. Has anyone heard of any updates on this?

I'm trying to decide on whether to wait for this or get the remote access that's available now.

Last edited by hinsong; 07-07-2017 at 08:36 AM. Reason: After additional research, found reference to smartlink
Old 07-27-2017, 04:17 PM
mikemtn
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought the 17s had it. Thought I got cheated buying a 16.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:26 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mikemtn
I thought the 17s had it. Thought I got cheated buying a 16.
Ford Pass is what can be equipped on some newer models. Must come from production, cannot be added on after the fact.

Smartlink will only be offered as an add-on module.

Remote Access has been around for several years. This is also only offered as an add-on module, and eventually Smartlink will replace Remote Access.

3 completely different systems, it gets confusing

Anyway, to answer the OP's question.... Smartlink still isn't out. My best guess is sometime next year before it actually hits the streets in retail form. In the mean time it's Remote Access or nothing.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:58 PM
mooch91
Senior User
Originally Posted by Pocket

3 completely different systems, it gets confusing

Can anyone explain the differences? What would SmartLink offer that would suggest I should wait and not buy the Remote Access? Thanks.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:41 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mooch91
Can anyone explain the differences? What would SmartLink offer that would suggest I should wait and not buy the Remote Access? Thanks.
Here's what Smartlink is supposed to offer when released:

- Smartphone-based remote start, lock and unlock.
- 4G Wi-Fi hotspot capable of accepting up to eight devices.
- Vehicle health and security alerts.
- Vehicle location assistance.

Supposedly the app will also allow you to set up a dealer and schedule service appointments.

In comparison, Remote Access gives you the following features:

- Security upgrade and security alerts.

Now the part I'm still trying to figure out is the "vehicle location assistance". Ford has been a bit vague about it. I've heard it could possibly give you a map location of your vehicle, and I've also heard that you can set boundaries for say a teenage driver, giving you alerts when those boundaries are crossed. We'll see when more info is released I guess. The initial press release came out in January, and I attended a Ford regional meeting that touched on it briefly back in February. Since then I haven't heard anything else other than beta testing was extended past the end of summer.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:41 AM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
The vehicle location could be just sounding the alarm like panic mode when you loose your car in a parking lot. Sending out GPS coordinates is a whole other can of worms. I would love to see it in the truck but have a feeling all your getting is sound the alarm to locate.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:42 AM
Texmudder
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
SmartLink info can be found here: https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...-features.html

I have been searching the web about once a week for it as I will jump on this right away. Getting pretty sick of these 100+ degree days and no remote start from my phone.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:05 AM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocket
Here's what Smartlink is supposed to offer when released:

- 4G Wi-Fi hotspot capable of accepting up to eight devices.
- Vehicle health and security alerts.
- Vehicle location assistance.

Supposedly the app will also allow you to set up a dealer and schedule service appointments.

In comparison, Remote Access gives you the following features:

- Security upgrade and security alerts.

Now the part I'm still trying to figure out is the "vehicle location assistance". Ford has been a bit vague about it. I've heard it could possibly give you a map location of your vehicle, and I've also heard that you can set boundaries for say a teenage driver, giving you alerts when those boundaries are crossed. We'll see when more info is released I guess. The initial press release came out in January, and I attended a Ford regional meeting that touched on it briefly back in February. Since then I haven't heard anything else other than beta testing was extended past the end of summer.
it will probably have a map like the one on the older my ford mobile app, on my wifes Fusion.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:24 AM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Texmudder
SmartLink info can be found here: https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...-features.html

I have been searching the web about once a week for it as I will jump on this right away. Getting pretty sick of these 100+ degree days and no remote start from my phone.
Unfortunately that says only 2010 to 2016 vehicles. I hope they expand it to 2017

Old 10-22-2017, 11:15 AM
79BRNC
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anything new on this? I am holding off adding the RMU unit hoping that SmartLink will work with my 2017 XLT Explorer, and be a better option.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:51 AM
Texmudder
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Nothing new. Still searching weekly for this.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:05 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
I was told by my dealer a few weeks ago via a voice mail that it will not be available until January.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:48 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have been running FordPass on my devices since December 2016. All working, I get notices, have yet to be successful getting a "Vehicle Health Report' on my 2017 F350 Lariat Ultimate. Anyone have tips? I have been on the phone with FordPass support several times, monumental waste of time...

Old 10-23-2017, 03:48 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by mhoefer
I have been running FordPass on my devices since December 2016. All working, I get notices, have yet to be successful getting a "Vehicle Health Report' on my 2017 F350 Lariat Ultimate. Anyone have tips? I have been on the phone with FordPass support several times, monumental waste of time...
I`m not sure if this is what your`re looking for when it comes to Health Reports but I receive oil change/life notices, vehicle fault messages, and just last week I also received the recall notice for the rear door latch as well as fuel and mileage readings.

I have a 2016 F150 Lariat.

I`m not sure if it`ll help or if you`ve tried it but perhaps you should do a Master Reset on the SYNC system.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:25 PM
mikedem
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mhoefer
Unfortunately "Vehicle Health Report" not available to Canadian vehicles.
Every single VIN shows N in OASISVHR ACTIVATED: N
The option to install the software is greyed out when doing updates or PMI. I have been able to update it on US VINS though. No idea why why its disabled here.

Quick Reply: Ford SmartLink - Any update?