1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

The "I love my 69" build thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 02:05 PM
truckstang94
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The "I love my 69" build thread

So, I threw down on my "newbie" thread! Hello all! This was supposed to be a two year project for my daughter and myself, however, I just found out I was accepted to Med school. Needless to say, my timeline has moved up to this December! The day my 13 y/o and I picked her up...

My brother and I got to work tearing the rotted bed out, as it was the worst part by far.

Then, put the little one to work with the power washer!

Old 07-06-2017, 02:22 PM
truckstang94
Freshman User
This has been interesting to say the least. I was a tech for Ford MoCo for years before joining the service... it's funny how they say techs come in generations. Well I definitely had mine; and missed the "older" gen with 9 inch rear ends! Bit of a learning curve but not too much unlike the 8.8 and other larger diff's I'm used to working on.
Lacking a slide-hammer = improvising

Looking like a little water was sitting in the case

Took the housing for a nice "hot bath" at the local radiator shop. Of course, it was raining on the day I go to pick it up... so instant rust. Had to rush home and clean it up to get a coat of rust converter on it.

Rusted on the 30 min drive home

Old 07-06-2017, 02:46 PM
truckstang94
Freshman User
Sourced a complete rear disk brake setup off a 1997 Exploder from a local junkyard for $60; including calipers, backing plates, rotors, emergency brake cables, and all nuts/bolts. Started to try and figure out how to get the backing plates centered. Best I could figure was to use an old axle and bearing as both the diff housing and backing plate have the same ID. Once the axle was in place I could clock the plate where I needed it to be and mark the holes for enlargement.

Here you can see the finished product (minus all the hardware)

Still needs new grade 8 3/4 bolts (these were just some I had laying around), and to be taken off and final cleaned and painted or powder coated with all new hardware (brake pads installed).

Just waiting on on a little bit of funds to finish the rear now. Need new 31 spline axles (upgrade from 28), new limited slip carrier to accept 31 spline axles (upgrade), bearing kit for ring and pinion/carrier install, Explorer emergency brake shoes and rear brake pads.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:02 PM
truckstang94
Freshman User
While waiting for some extra income... on to something I already have!!!

2007 CV PI front end complete for $250... SCORE!! Let the tear down begin!

On a separate note, probably the last remaining, original to the vehicle... clutch

That gets us up to speed... awaiting an engine hoist to get the beast out from between the frame rails so I can start chopping! Hopefully more to come in the following days. Been looking on the Craigslist for cheap used engine hoists but most want what they cost new...

Old 07-06-2017, 09:00 PM
fe390pc
Logistics Pro
Received 189 Likes on 173 Posts
Check harbor freight, you can get one cheaply new and delivered to the house. I do know you can rent one as well. The other option is to put it out to the group here and see if there is a local member that has one to loan.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:47 AM
truckstang94
Freshman User
Originally Posted by fe390pc
Check harbor freight, you can get one cheaply new and delivered to the house. I do know you can rent one as well. The other option is to put it out to the group here and see if there is a local member that has one to loan.

Thank you fe390pc... finally found a friend local who has one (that didn't already have it loaned out to someone else). Seems I will be able to get it out on Saturday

Old 07-08-2017, 06:17 PM
truckstang94
Freshman User
Quick update, apparently my buddy had loaned his hoist out and still waiting to get my hands on it. Was hoping to have the engine out early this (saturday) morning. However, looks like it will be late tonight or even Sunday before it is out and i get some more progress done

Old 07-10-2017, 12:05 PM
Salty Dog
Elder User
Sometime's I can get my daughters to help. Lasts about 10 minutes. Of course spraying the power washer might be a different story. Good luck with your build. Maybe one day I'll spot it around town.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:58 PM
truckstang94
Freshman User
Right now I have to almost drag her out into the garage. Hope it will change one day. Salty Dog, are you here in New Braunfels? I'm still trying to get my hands on an engine hoist for about an hour. Do you have one I could borrow?

Old 07-10-2017, 04:21 PM
Salty Dog
Elder User
I'm in Buda. If I had one, I'd surely hook you up. I'm free this week and will be tinkering with the pickup.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:19 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
$230.00 bucks will get you this brand new engine hoist from O'Reilly's. I've had mine for 11 years and I've picked up and moved a lot more heavy objects with it besides engines.

ACDelco 34786 - Engine Hoist | O'Reilly Auto Parts

The only thing that would make it even better is one of these swapped in place of the manual hydraulic lift cylinder.

FREE SHIPPING — Strongway 8-Ton Long Ram Air/Hydraulic Jack — Single Piston, Clevis Base | Long Ram Jacks| Northern Tool + Equipment

Old 07-10-2017, 05:34 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by fe390pc
2X Harbor frght.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:14 PM
truckstang94
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Salty Dog
I'm in Buda. If I had one, I'd surely hook you up. I'm free this week and will be tinkering with the pickup.
Thanks Salty Dog! I finally have a hoist (in the garage); thank goodness for Neighbors that also build!! Ran out of time tonight due to having to get some work done on the old mans '02 Explorer. I remember why, when I was a tech at Ford my projects dragged on... there is always a family member who needs something fixed "now" in your off time.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:23 AM
truckstang94
Freshman User
How do I fix it when, most every picture in a thread shows up like this....

It is pretty annoying and I'm a simple creature who likes pictures with his reading! Please help!!

Old 07-11-2017, 10:39 AM
pchelp
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by truckstang94
How do I fix it when, most every picture in a thread shows up like this....

It is pretty annoying and I'm a simple creature who likes pictures with his reading! Please help!!
Upload your photos from your device directly to this website, not a third party site.

Quick Reply: The "I love my 69" build thread