2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Need help ordering 250 or 350? current & future needs

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 05:58 AM
54LFL
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help ordering 250 or 350? current & future needs

I'm finally out of denial about whether my 16 F150 Platinum SHOULD be towing my 7200lb dry 36' travel trailer, and ready to go SD. I'm confused on a few things though after going to Ford's build site (even after searching some threads). My situation aside from towing the above camper is: family of 5, I want the headroom to get a decent sized 5th wheel down the road should I decide. Got to be SRW. This will be my daily driver, so ride is important too (I know I'll miss that from the F150). Live in FL, so mostly flat, but we head up to the Smokies, and would like to head west next year. On the build site I did both a 250 and 350 6.7 Lariat Ultimate with Tow Tech bundle, LED, chrome package, etc. They were only about $700 apart. Sorry for all of the questions in advance, but here is whats on my mind:

1. I'm assuming if I am ordering (and I know that window is closing) and for my situation, I should just get the 350?

2. Is there any benefit in ride on the 250 vs the 350?

3. I don't really understand the difference in the 10,000 and 11,400 GVWR options on the 350 - does that mean that extra 1400 goes to your payload? If so, why wouldn't I pick 11,400? Stiffer springs, give up ride comfort?

4. Any benefit to the Camper package option, or is that geared more towards a slide-in camper? Ride comfort sacrifice?

5. As far as I can tell, the heavy duty front spring package is the same as the camper package, minus the stabilizer bar?

6. For $115 do I want the Dual HD alternators? Seems like a no brainer, not sure if I'm missing anything?

7. If I add power running boards, it wants to delete the chrome package - is that right? Why?

Thanks!

Old 06-28-2017, 06:26 AM
Xwild
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 54LFL
I'm finally out of denial about whether my 16 F150 Platinum SHOULD be towing my 7200lb dry 36' travel trailer, and ready to go SD. I'm confused on a few things though after going to Ford's build site (even after searching some threads). My situation aside from towing the above camper is: family of 5, I want the headroom to get a decent sized 5th wheel down the road should I decide. Got to be SRW. This will be my daily driver, so ride is important too (I know I'll miss that from the F150). Live in FL, so mostly flat, but we head up to the Smokies, and would like to head west next year. On the build site I did both a 250 and 350 6.7 Lariat Ultimate with Tow Tech bundle, LED, chrome package, etc. They were only about $700 apart. Sorry for all of the questions in advance, but here is whats on my mind:

1. I'm assuming if I am ordering (and I know that window is closing) and for my situation, I should just get the 350?
Depends on your needs

Minimal from a suspension point of view

3. I don't really understand the difference in the 10,000 and 11,400 GVWR options on the 350 - does that mean that extra 1400 goes to your payload? If so, why wouldn't I pick 11,400? Stiffer springs, give up ride comfort?
The 10,000 is just a sticker derate. It's for those states where you get a signficant increase in regristration cost or extra rules over 10k. No actual differences in the truck.

4. Any benefit to the Camper package option, or is that geared more towards a slide-in camper? Ride comfort sacrifice?
Aimed at the slide-in camper. Some think there are other benefits.

5. As far as I can tell, the heavy duty front spring package is the same as the camper package, minus the stabilizer bar?
Believe you're right. Others will confirm

6. For $115 do I want the Dual HD alternators? Seems like a no brainer, not sure if I'm missing anything?
I'm with you.. gives you extra output to power the camper, etc.

7. If I add power running boards, it wants to delete the chrome package - is that right? Why?
That's correct. Just because that's what Ford decided. (I love my power boards)

Thanks!
All that said, any particular reason you're going to the 6.7? The 6.2 gasser would tow your rig without a second thought. And save you a bunch of cash.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:33 AM
54LFL
Senior User
Originally Posted by Xwild
All that said, any particular reason you're going to the 6.7? The 6.2 gasser would tow your rig without a second thought. And save you a bunch of cash.
Thanks for the response. With you on the power boards - I have them now and love them. Guess that would either be aftermarket AMP - Platinum is pushing outside my comfort zone.

As to your question on gas v diesel - I considered it - just keep thinking in 2-3 years if I want to go to a decent sized 5th wheel, I'll regret not getting diesel - and I really don't want to be in a truck upgrade situation again if I can avoid it. I'm open for thoughts here...and all about saving some cash if possible

Old 06-28-2017, 06:34 AM
redford
Received 1,562 Likes on 910 Posts
Geeze Ted, that color is hard to read against a white background.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:41 AM
glrret
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks!
I know there are folks on here that can offer more technical answers than me, but here is my view on your questions:

1. I'm assuming if I am ordering (and I know that window is closing) and for my situation, I should just get the 350? For the small price difference and the added benefits I would go with the 350 SRW

2. Is there any benefit in ride on the 250 vs the 350? The ride is not that much different between the two. You can also add Sulastic Shackle to both trucks and improve the ride even more without sacrificing payload

3. I don't really understand the difference in the 10,000 and 11,400 GVWR options on the 350 - does that mean that extra 1400 goes to your payload? If so, why wouldn't I pick 11,400? Stiffer springs, give up ride comfort? When given the option between GVWR I always go with the highest possible. You never know what the future holds and why limit yourself.

4. Any benefit to the Camper package option, or is that geared more towards a slide-in camper? Ride comfort sacrifice? The camper package will give you the heavier springs in the front in addition to a few other addons. but given the option go with the Camper Snowplow prep. that gives you the larger springs, alternator and batteries plus more. and the price is minimal.

5. As far as I can tell, the heavy duty front spring package is the same as the camper package, minus the stabilizer bar? Same as answer in #3

6. For $115 do I want the Dual HD alternators? Seems like a no brainer, not sure if I'm missing anything? See #3

7. If I add power running boards, it wants to delete the chrome package - is that right? Why? I'm not sure on this one...

Old 06-28-2017, 07:34 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
The F-150 is a very different animal than a Super Duty. We have a 2016 F-150 and 2017 F-350 in my family, so I can make direct comparisons. One, the F-150 feels like a sports car compared to the Super Duty. The steering effort is light, it is precise rack and pinion, and the truck is pretty nimble. With the Ecoboost engine, these trucks are very quick and have loads of pulling power. Brakes are very strong, and finally, ride quality is pretty good.

Now on to the Super Duty. For sure, it will be more stable towing your 36' trailer. The diesel engine will certainly have no trouble at all pulling your trailer up hills like it isn't even there.

BUT...

The F-150 turbo is night and day quicker than even a diesel Super Duty. The Super Duty will have a much harsher ride. The power steering in the Super Duty, whether you choose the adaptive or standard option, is much heavier and the steering wheel does not return to center very well. The Super Duty is certainly not nimble, and your turning circle will greatly increase. The brakes, while powerful, have a mushy feel compared to the F-150 and require a firm press for really strong braking action. Even with the diesel, you will achieve less fuel economy overall except while towing. Keep in mind that oil changes will be around $150 at the dealer. You will lose the "automatic" setting for 4x4. No Super Duty offers this feature.

If none of those things bother you, than by all means move into a Super Duty. It certainly is a heavier-built vehicle, sits higher off the ground, and is a better towing platform. Since the cabs and interiors are all but identical, everything will be very familiar. You'll have a column shift instead of the console shift on your Platinum.

250 vs 350? It is true the 250 has slightly softer rear springs and the tires are specified to run at a lower pressure than a 350. This results in a better ride quality, but it is not night and day. Typically, the 350 is the better choice for the small amount of added money. All other things being equal, a the difference between a 250 and a 350 is that the 350 includes slightly stiffer rear springs, rear overload springs, and a higher GVW rating sticker.

If you live in a northern state, you will end up with dual alternators as standard equipment. Otherwise, for the money, I'd probably opt for it. The standard single alternator provides plenty of juice, and keep in mind the trailer connector is only 30A max charging. So having dual alternators doesn't "improve" trailer charging. Dual alternators are really there to supply power to the 3-bank supplemental electric cabin heater if the truck is so equipped.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:54 AM
54LFL
Senior User
Originally Posted by troverman
The F-150 is a very different animal than a Super Duty. We have a 2016 F-150 and 2017 F-350 in my family, so I can make direct comparisons. One, the F-150 feels like a sports car compared to the Super Duty. The steering effort is light, it is precise rack and pinion, and the truck is pretty nimble. With the Ecoboost engine, these trucks are very quick and have loads of pulling power. Brakes are very strong, and finally, ride quality is pretty good.

Now on to the Super Duty. For sure, it will be more stable towing your 36' trailer. The diesel engine will certainly have no trouble at all pulling your trailer up hills like it isn't even there.

BUT...

The F-150 turbo is night and day quicker than even a diesel Super Duty. The Super Duty will have a much harsher ride. The power steering in the Super Duty, whether you choose the adaptive or standard option, is much heavier and the steering wheel does not return to center very well. The Super Duty is certainly not nimble, and your turning circle will greatly increase. The brakes, while powerful, have a mushy feel compared to the F-150 and require a firm press for really strong braking action. Even with the diesel, you will achieve less fuel economy overall except while towing. Keep in mind that oil changes will be around $150 at the dealer. You will lose the "automatic" setting for 4x4. No Super Duty offers this feature.

If none of those things bother you, than by all means move into a Super Duty. It certainly is a heavier-built vehicle, sits higher off the ground, and is a better towing platform. Since the cabs and interiors are all but identical, everything will be very familiar. You'll have a column shift instead of the console shift on your Platinum.

250 vs 350? It is true the 250 has slightly softer rear springs and the tires are specified to run at a lower pressure than a 350. This results in a better ride quality, but it is not night and day. Typically, the 350 is the better choice for the small amount of added money. All other things being equal, a the difference between a 250 and a 350 is that the 350 includes slightly stiffer rear springs, rear overload springs, and a higher GVW rating sticker.

If you live in a northern state, you will end up with dual alternators as standard equipment. Otherwise, for the money, I'd probably opt for it. The standard single alternator provides plenty of juice, and keep in mind the trailer connector is only 30A max charging. So having dual alternators doesn't "improve" trailer charging. Dual alternators are really there to supply power to the 3-bank supplemental electric cabin heater if the truck is so equipped.

Thanks for that comparison since you have both trucks. I've been laboring over this for months. I absolutely LOVE my F150, and as you stated, the nimble/quick nature of the Ecoboost. It's plenty of power to tow my current TT (we just got back from 2 weeks up in the mountains). I even bought a ProPride hitch to eliminate sway...and it did. The ONLY thing I don't love about the truck is how it did in mild crosswinds with that much trailer behind me. The front end felt very light, the vacuum effect of the big trucks, etc. I know there is no simple answer here, and do believe I'd miss the 150...but thinking I'll get used to the Super Duty also...(?)

Old 06-28-2017, 08:04 AM
The Ace of Spades
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
If you're even considering going with a 5th wheel you need to go with the F350SRW. Don't ever consider the F250, you'll be sorry if you do. Payload matters with Fifth Wheels/goosenecks.
​​​​​​​As far as the payload package, go with the 11,500lb, again, because you are considering a fifth wheel. Your truck is going to weigh in at well over 8,000lbs, the pin weight of your trailer is going to most likely be 2,000lbs, possibly more. That puts you at well over 10,000lbs on the trucks 4 wheels before you consider fuel, tools, gear and occupants.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:04 AM
harley1756
Freshman User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I traded a 2015 F150 4X4 3.5 EB Lariat for a 2017 F350 6.7 4X4 Lariat. My trailer is 33 feet in length and about 7500 lbs. The 3.5 was much quicker. I swear it would bark the tires sometimes when I was passing another vehicle at 45 mph or so. The 6.7 doesn't rev as quick, but the power it creates is great! My mileage when towing went from 9 mpg with the 3.5 to 12.4 mpg on a 12 hr round trip with the 6.7. The in town and highway mileage for the 6.7 is maybe 1 mpg less than the 3.5.

I thought it was a no brainer to go for the 350 over the 250. My payload on the 150 was 1774 lbs. The 350 is 3300 or so. I needed the extra payload. (Camper shell, bed rug, tool boxes, camping stuff thrown in the bed, etc.)

My previous truck was a 2003 F350 7.3. The F150 always felt like it had a "soft" ride compared to my previous truck. Yes, the new 350 has a harsher ride. Bumps in the road are quite noticeable. Lowering the rear tire pressure helps a lot when not towing. I ordered mine with the camper and snow plow package, and the heaviest suspension package I could get. Dual alternators were a must have for me since my old 350 was equipped with them.

I prefer a stiffer ride in a vehicle, maybe it's just because I'm accustomed to it. By all means get the tow tech package and TPMS and camera option too. I recently had a 6 hr trip with the travel trailer. I had noticed the pressure in my rear tire had dropped about 6 lbs over two days before leaving and discovered it had a nail in it. I have had the occasion to destroy a travel trailer tire before, and it was quite unpleasant. I set the screen for trailer tire pressure for the entire trip and could glance at it from time to time with the comfort of knowing the trailer tires were in perfect shape. (No slow leaks or nails present).

In my opinion there is not a better tow vehicle on the road today. I thought about a gas engine, but I paid 18,000 for my 2003 350 in 2005, and sold it for 17,000 in 2015. There is no way I could have gotten that kind of resale value after 10 years if the 2003 was equipped with a gas engine.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:28 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Thanks for that comparison since you have both trucks. I've been laboring over this for months. I absolutely LOVE my F150, and as you stated, the nimble/quick nature of the Ecoboost. It's plenty of power to tow my current TT (we just got back from 2 weeks up in the mountains). I even bought a ProPride hitch to eliminate sway...and it did. The ONLY thing I don't love about the truck is how it did in mild crosswinds with that much trailer behind me. The front end felt very light, the vacuum effect of the big trucks, etc. I know there is no simple answer here, and do believe I'd miss the 150...but thinking I'll get used to the Super Duty also...(?)
Although the Super Duty will handle crosswinds better (heavier and longer) it will still be affected. A 5th wheel will tow better than a bumper pull travel trailer, or you could opt for a dually which gives ultimate stability.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:37 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by harley1756
I thought about a gas engine, but I paid 18,000 for my 2003 350 in 2005, and sold it for 17,000 in 2015. There is no way I could have gotten that kind of resale value after 10 years if the 2003 was equipped with a gas engine.
Don't be naive and think you'll get that kind of a return on a 6.7L diesel...you won't. Two reasons: one, the 7.3L was considered pretty special in terms of its ultimate longevity and reliability; and two, a modern diesel with complete emissions controls basically starts walking towards expensive repairs as it ages and accumulates miles. DPF replacement can be very dear, along with repair or replacement of other emissions devices such as the SCR system, various sensors, etc.

In my opinion, trades with 100,000 miles or less will result in a proportionate return that is no different between a gas and diesel. For instance, if you trade a Super Duty with 80k miles on it you might get 70% of your money back from the new price. That would hold if you traded a gas or diesel. Sure, the diesel will actually bring more dollars, all other things being equal, but that is only because you actually paid more for it to begin with. Eventually, at very high mileages, the diesel may fetch more on trade in because of diesel's reputation for longevity and the gas engine's potential for being worn out...but the tide is slowly turning here, too. Regarding longevity, gas engines have gotten better, and diesel engines have gotten worse.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:29 AM
AK_SuperDuty
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Is your F150 a long bed? If it's a crew cab, it certainly is not. Get that new F350 with a crew cab and a long bed. I've got 8k miles on mine now and they are easy to park, no problems with turning radius, and it will blow your mind how much awesome stuff you can carry in the bed when you go camping. The beds on most the F150 crew cabs are 5.5 feet now and are absolutely pathetic.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:40 AM
54LFL
Senior User
Originally Posted by AK_SuperDuty
Is your F150 a long bed? If it's a crew cab, it certainly is not. Get that new F350 with a crew cab and a long bed. I've got 8k miles on mine now and they are easy to park, no problems with turning radius, and it will blow your mind how much awesome stuff you can carry in the bed when you go camping. The beds on most the F150 crew cabs are 5.5 feet now and are absolutely pathetic.
My F150 is definitely the 5.5' short bed...and you're right...it is ridiculous. I was excited about the additional foot on the short Super Duty. But the long bed...yikes...I don't know. Would love the additional length - especially because I could probably get my golf cart back there...that just seems to be a lot more truck. Interesting to hear no problems with turning radius. Now for a bumper pull trailer (vs 5th wheel) won't a long bed make maneuvering and turning radius during tow more of a challenge though?

Old 06-28-2017, 09:58 AM
wfedwar
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't see any reason not to step up to the 350.

Not that I've been able to tell in the several test drives that I've taken. Easy enough to test it for yourself, though. Note that 250s probably have lower rear tire pressure, though. That can make a big difference by itself.

It's just a paper change. In case it helps with registration fees.

I doubt you'd tell much difference, though I haven't driven one with this package. It is geared toward a slide-in camper.

That's what it looks like

Check the order guide. It will show you exactly what alternators you get. It's based on both options and trim level.

I suppose this is because the most costly part of the chrome package is the running boards

Old 06-28-2017, 10:01 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,677 Likes on 2,745 Posts
Now for a bumper pull trailer (vs 5th wheel) won't a long bed make maneuvering and turning radius during tow more of a challenge though?
Yes, the turning is a bit more work. I went from a Titan crew cab with 5.5' bed to an F-350 crew cab with 8' bed. Backing my trailer into its storage spot takes a bit more work with the F-350. Getting into tight parking spaces with just the truck alone is more work. However, in general, I avoid tight parking spaces in the first place.

Quick Reply: Need help ordering 250 or 350? current & future needs