6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Giant Futon's Giant Towing Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 11:02 PM
giant futon
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Giant Futon's Giant Towing Thread

In the interest of those that are wondering how the 6.2 w/ 4.30's tows I'm gonna keep a running thread going on my trips and open it up to questions and comments for those that are interested.
Running Trip YouTube Channel Linkhttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs6...YhmzWWaXFwjvEg

The truck
2017 F-250 CCSB Lariat with 6.2 and 4.30 gears. The truck has the following options that are pertinent to towing:
Camper Package
Ultimate Trailer Tow Package
FX4

The Trailer
Airstream International 25 ft with dry weight of 5800# and for this trip a wet weight of 6950#.

And the quick summary of the trip:
Destination: Moab, UT

Overall, really happy with this choice of truck for the amount of weight that we pack. Having a topper for the dogs as well as our bicycles and random stuff really digs into the payload that my previous truck didn't have (1560# versus the F-250's ~2900#)

We drove through Bakersfield on 58 (which this road is terrible btw) and on out of CA into Las Vegas, NV for our first stop. The truck did really well at both maintaining speed when pulling uphill at 65-70 mph. It never went below 4th gear when climbing hills. More importantly, it had no shortage of power when having to make the necessary passing in the left lane.

Something that I don't think gets a lot of attention is the passing power with the 6.2/4.30 gear combo. When you mash the skinny peddle it readily downshifts and pulls hard.

Out of Las Vegas we headed to Zion Nat'l Park for a three day stay and then pushed on to the ultimate destination for the trip of Moab, UT. The heat this summer is pretty crazy so when I say that the truck did good in hot weather I mean it was HOT! Average 112 degrees when towing in UT. The dogs were pretty glad to have the topper and the fan I had hooked up with the up fitter switches to push cold A/C back to them. I was running 65-70 the entire time and the truck never blinked an eye.

The best part of this new setup was that once in Moab we were able to go off road (nothing serious like all the Jeep faithful enjoy). This was actually pretty great because I got a chance to use the forward facing camera, 4WD, locker.

The camera was actually useful when avoiding some of the random large rocks that might give the wheels curb rash or otherwise.

My biggest take aways: when the truck is revving between 4-5k the sound insulation does a great job of limiting it to a level that lets you enjoy the v8 thrum without stressing and the truck pulled with good authority no matter the speed or terrain we went through.

This was a great trip in NV and UT and about the only thing I would change is that it was hotter than hell and my dogs didn't appreciate it when we were out walking

Up next.....Lake Tahoe!

Old 06-28-2017, 06:08 AM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Received 267 Likes on 207 Posts
Lightbulb

Great report! A couple of questions:

1) Which fuel grade are you using while towing: 87 (regular), 89 (mid-grade), or?
2) What transmission temps are you seeing?

Safe travels!
Jim / crewzer

Old 06-28-2017, 07:10 AM
clc3251
Senior User
Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts
Good stuff. Following.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:21 AM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Good information and really nice setup you have there!

Old 06-28-2017, 09:42 AM
giant futon
Senior User
The fuel grade used throughout the trip was 91 as that was the highest that was consistently available.

As far as transmission temps the highest I saw was coming out of Las Vegas and Utah with both being 205. The climb out of Las Vegas to the West on I-15 is pretty long and apparently everyone is trying to outrun whatever happened in Vegas so it makes it interesting trying to keep momentum with little cars cutting you off left and right.

Coming out of Utah there is a stretch of road that leads up through the mountains and cuts off the corner of Arizona at the Virgin River Canyon. This was where I saw the highest transmission temps on that leg because I kept having to slow down for some pretty tight turns. The trailer appreciated the slower speeds, but the truck felt really stable. I'd attribute that to the Camper Package sway bar in the rear.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:57 AM
River Wild
Fleet Mechanic
Received 270 Likes on 164 Posts
Great report! I can't help but think the 6.2 is going to be a great power plant for those of us that don't need or want a diesel.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:14 AM
giant futon
Senior User
thanks guys!

I'd have to say that the 34 gal DTE issue was a little annoying on this trip since we were traveling long distance and across pretty long stretches of desert. Its almost like its ingrained that when the gas light comes on you HAVE to find fuel....only to be able to put 28 gal in at the pump.

So I guess in fairness of writing the report the 34 TSB is probably something else that I would change.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:12 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Excellent report, and can't wait to hear the next chapters

Old 06-28-2017, 12:48 PM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Received 267 Likes on 207 Posts
Cool

GF,

Thanks for the info about fuel grade and trans temps.

Safe travels!
Jim / crewzer

Old 06-28-2017, 07:48 PM
kry226
Fleet Mechanic
Received 384 Likes on 215 Posts
Thanks for this thread. I'm looking at a 6.2/4.30 XLT CCLB, hopefully within the next year, and will be following with interest. My TT is a 31' Airstream at about 7,500 empty and 10k maxed out. I'll tow the occasional farm tractor and implements too.

But if you're ever able or willing, I know I and lots of other folks would appreciate some towing videos in all terrain. I don't care about mileage so much, but the high RPMs and noise are what really concern me and are the deciding factor between going gas (preferred) or getting back into a diesel.

There are only 2 other sets of 2017 6.2 towing videos on youtube and both are with 3.73 gears, so not really that helpful.

Thanks again. Looking forward to more reports.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:57 PM
giant futon
Senior User
Just Another Idiot with a YouTube Channel...

Okay guys figured that I would set up a Youtube series with the truck because sometimes a video just really shows you what can't be explained in writing.

Check out my generic Youtube channel at the following link:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs6...YhmzWWaXFwjvEg

If there's issues connecting then let me know and I'll fix it.

If you guys have any requests of stuff you'd like to see then let me know. I've already got a couple of different videos lined up that I'd like to do which include towing in hilly, slow/trafficy conditions.

I'm hoping that someone gets something out of watching these and is able to make a better decision when buying.

Have a good one!
GF

Old 07-05-2017, 12:38 AM
kry226
Fleet Mechanic
Received 384 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by giant futon
Okay guys figured that I would set up a Youtube series with the truck because sometimes a video just really shows you what can't be explained in writing.

Check out my generic Youtube channel at the following link:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs6...YhmzWWaXFwjvEg

If there's issues connecting then let me know and I'll fix it.

If you guys have any requests of stuff you'd like to see then let me know. I've already got a couple of different videos lined up that I'd like to do which include towing in hilly, slow/trafficy conditions.

I'm hoping that someone gets something out of watching these and is able to make a better decision when buying.

Have a good one!
GF
THANKS FOR THE VIDEOS!

I've been out of pocket for the last week or so, but I finally was able to sit and watch. I really appreciate you taking the time to do these and I'm certainly looking forward to more of your videos.

If I had a specific request, and if you're comfortable with it (I know Cali has a max of 55 mph?)... but I'd love to see how it tows your trailer at about 70 mph. In all my years of towing, I've found 68-70 to be about the sweet spot for general towing speed in flat-ish terrain. Lots of folks still pass on the left, but at that speed I don't seem to interfere with the right laners as much and my previous 5.9 Cummins loved it as the EGTs stayed low too (oh, and speed police, take a hike...don't waste your time).

Thanks again, Futon. I've subscribed and will be looking for new vidoes as you post them.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:53 PM
giant futon
Senior User
Lake Tahoe Trip Report

Lake Tahoe

Well we just got back from the latest trip and again i'm really please with how well the truck pulls. So here's the quick summary:

Fuel: 91 OCT throughout
Max Trans. Temp Observed during climb: 207 (ambient temp 74F)

The climb getting to South Lake Tahoe goes from about 4,000ft to 7,300ft in about 20 miles. Additionally, the road is considerably curvy so you really don't get the opportunity to run out the engine and stretch its legs. I really felt more comfortable keeping the speed at around 55 or so during the climb depending upon curves. I'm a big believer in driving within the limits of the trailer and not the truck.

Pulling up the mountain I was really pleased with how well the truck pulled when 5th and 6th gear were locked out. The truck was able to maintain the speed I wanted it at in 4th gear and then responded nicely when I tipped in on the throttle by kicking down the 3rd and pulling ahead.

I think I mention it several times in the video but I liked to use the off-road screen mode to give guys the amount of incline that the truck is pulling up. For reference: yes, the truck and trailer sit completely level thanks to a good WDH setup so the inclinometer is telling it like it is.

And finally the best thing I discovered about the truck during this trip...after all the traveling is done and you're ready to relax a beer run was obviously in mind when the engineers were doing their work.

Videos for the trip are posted on my youtube channel that can be seen at the following link. I haven't put them all up yet but there's a good start there at the moment.

Thanks and let me know if you have questions.

GF

Old 07-28-2017, 01:20 PM
mtuser
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you giant futon! Very helpful post. 4.3's it is.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:12 PM
Bugzilla46310
Laughing Gas
Received 280 Likes on 151 Posts
Why isn't this informative post in the towing forum?

Quick Reply: Giant Futon's Giant Towing Thread