2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Bakflip Revolver X3, Bakflip MX4 or Retrax Pro MX

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 10:43 PM
TXGold76
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bakflip Revolver X3, Bakflip MX4 or Retrax Pro MX

I'm stuck. One is too expensive on blocks your view and has four panels that look unsightly and one I don't know enough about. Is the revolver secure and sturdy enough? I like the non panel look and that it rolls up low enough to view out of the rear window while driving. What are some negatives of it?

The retrax also takes up bed space. If I have a pressure washer or something in the back some times I won't secure it but instead will attempt to not drive like I normally do and I always forget. Will the canister be damaged easily in these cases?

Any help would be appreciated. I need to order this thing soon because i have a 3200 mile trip coming up.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:14 AM
BLUENGRAY05FX4
Senior User
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I have done alot of research and have learned there is no perfect tonneau cover. All have pluses and minuses!

In the end, I decided on the Revolver X2.

Good luck!

Old 06-11-2017, 07:13 AM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
Received 2,176 Likes on 680 Posts
The Revolver is a nice cover...I had a BakFlip VP on my '13 F-150 that I really liked but on my '17 I went with the Bak MX4 which is a lot heavier. Its been OK so far.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:00 AM
2BSDowner
Junior User
I know this isn't answering your question and probably not helpful but...have you looked at the American Roll Cover from Truck Covers USA? I really like mine.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:05 AM
srkrit
Mountain Pass
I have a retraxOne MX on an f150 and I love it. Cannister really doesn't get in the way, and the cover locks in any position. In extreme cold with ice it opens right up and I've never had any leaks. If you go through a touch less wash sometimes you'll get a few drops that come in through tailgate area from the water being shot horizontally, but in any rain storm-never had an issue

Old 06-11-2017, 09:21 AM
MagicMtnDan
Laughing Gas
Received 140 Likes on 86 Posts
I will be shopping for a tonneau cover and I like the idea of a retractable unit.

Have you looked at Roll-N-Lock? They have an A-Series and an M-Series which is like the A-Series but it has seamless vinyl over the aluminum slats.

Anyone have any experience or reviews on this product?

Comparison of Roll-N-Lock M-Series vs Retrax: http://rollnlock.com/wp-content/uplo..._Pages_WEB.pdf

Old 06-11-2017, 09:45 AM
TXGold76
Junior User
Originally Posted by MagicMtnDan
I will be shopping for a tonneau cover and I like the idea of a retractable unit.

Have you looked at Roll-N-Lock? They have an A-Series and an M-Series which is like the A-Series but it has seamless vinyl over the aluminum slats.

Comparison of Roll-N-Lock M-Series vs Retrax: http://rollnlock.com/wp-content/uplo..._Pages_WEB.pdf
threadjack city

i have narrowed my selection down to three choices and started this thread in hopes of receiving more info on these three. No more. I've looked at all of them.

Revolver buyers was price rice an object for you in going with a canister? Does the vinyl look high end or LQ?

Old 06-11-2017, 10:04 AM
tp431
Junior User
Originally Posted by MagicMtnDan

We have a Roll-N-Lock M Series on our 2011 F250; we have been fairly happy with it through the years and it has held up well. A bit of water will sneak in around the tailgate area in a storm or high pressure car wash, but all in all, a nice cover. I'm trying to sell it now since I won't get anything on it with the trade in of the truck - ordered a LB, so this one won't fit our new one.
Think we are going to give the Retrax a try when the new truck comes in...

Old 06-11-2017, 09:23 PM
Crfuels
Freshman User
I vote for the revolver. I have the older version of this on my ram and if the bed was the same length on the 2017 KR I have ordered I would be saving it. For me on of the greatest aspects of the revolver is that the cover can be completely removed from the truck with 4 wing nuts in 2 min leaving you with the entire bed. It is also very easy to use and durable. I will be purchasing a new one that will fit the 6in longer bed that my new super duty will have.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:48 PM
Chilly
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love the Retrax Pro. Lockable (any position), low profile, looks great and no leaks except an occasional drip at tailgate as others have stated if you power/ car wash and get horizontal spray.

If you put the pressure washer in with wheels sideways to the bed then roll the cover to lock the pressure washer in place, you should have no problems unless you have a tendency to take corners like a NASCAR driver. I think it would work with wheels forward too. I did it with a snowthrower but I am not sure if a panic stop would cause any damage to locking hardware holding that bad boy in.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:24 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I like my Bak MX4 just fine. I don't have a 5th wheel and never do I fold the bed cover up against the rear window. It takes less than 5 minutes to remove the MX4.

Name:  IMG950356.jpg
Views: 7779
Size:  680.4 KB
Name:  IMG950355.jpg
Views: 7769
Size:  643.6 KB

Old 06-12-2017, 07:38 AM
Top_Speed1
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Retrax Pro MX here, love it!

Name:  20170416_183736_zpsfbzc3jct.jpg
Views: 7962
Size:  114.6 KB
Name:  20170416_183944_zpsweil9nyn.jpg
Views: 7781
Size:  119.2 KB

Old 06-12-2017, 07:58 AM
cnm_mike
Senior User
I ended up buy a Bakflip F1, same product as the MX4 but made with a fiberglass top skin. I have a short bed and tow a 5th wheel so I didn't want a canister in the bed as you do with a Retrax. Plus the Retrax adds one inch to the bedrails which is an issue with maximizing bedrail to 5th wheel distance. I liked the Revolver, but I could see myself getting caught on the metal locking tabs that stick out and the end of the truck bed. Plus I like the idea of running the F1/MX4 folded up when towing the 5th wheel, it provides a little space that is somewhat covered from the weather.
Mike

Old 06-12-2017, 08:10 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BLUENGRAY05FX4
I have done alot of research and have learned there is no perfect tonneau cover. All have pluses and minuses!
^^^^^^^^^^^
Absolutely dead on.

All tonneau covers bring their own unique advantages and benefits. However, ALL tonneau covers sacrifice SOMETHING in return. The best thing to do is find out what your needs are, and get a list of bed covers that match those needs. Then look at what you will be giving up with each cover (whether it's bed space, rear window visibility, etc), and toss out the sacrifices you can't live with. Whatever is left is what you should pick.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:14 AM
glrret
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Will the MX4 provide enough clearance folded up in the down position on a long bed (as shown in this picture) for a 5th wheel hitch?

Quick Reply: Bakflip Revolver X3, Bakflip MX4 or Retrax Pro MX