Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which year Excursion has the best options?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 02:14 AM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Which year Excursion has the best options?

I don't want to start a debate about who likes which year most. Let's not do that please. Everybody likes their truck, it's normal.

I'm just wondering if Ford introduced any good options or features in the last few years. I had a 2000 with the 7.3 PSD and the only things I wished it had were more power, more headrests, and a shoulder belt for everyone.

Did Ford introduce nice options or improvements the last year or so? Seems to me like Ford kinda let the Excursion die without much improvement. I hope I'm wrong. The 6.0 PSD needs like 10 grand of work to make it reliable.

The Eddie Bauer grill looks cool in 2005.

Did Ford ever upgrade the headlights? I had to add extra lights on a Reunel bumper so I could see OK at night in the desert. Did Ford ever offer HID in the Excursion?

Old 05-29-2017, 06:02 AM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
04 or 05 Limited or Eddie Bauer they had the most options, 05 had the later model front end. Wit the 05, more headlight choices in the aftermarket.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:50 AM
Blakshukvw
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No hids. That's kinda what they do when a model is coming to an end, let it die with few or no improvements.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:09 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Only difference is the 05 came with a black dash.

Old 05-29-2017, 01:50 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Early years had shallow cupholders both in dash and center console which really suck.

Early years did NOT have:

adjustable pedals
turn signal wires to outside mirrors
dash CD player (used tapes)
2nd DVD player (had vcr)

The '05 got the cosmetic upgrade front grille and better headlights.

Otherwise, most options remained the same throughout the entire run.

engine wise, lot more variations between years of the same engine, check the engine forums.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:31 PM
RBerry9511
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Misky6.0
Early years had shallow cupholders both in dash and center console which really suck.

adjustable pedals
turn signal wires to outside mirrors
dash CD player (used tapes)
2nd DVD player (had vcr)

The '05 got the cosmetic upgrade front grille and better headlights.

Otherwise, most options remained the same throughout the entire run.

engine wise, lot more variations between years of the same engine, check the engine forums.
I agree with most of this except my 2000 limited 7.3l has both cd and tape player.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:18 AM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
...snip...

adjustable pedals
... snip...
My 2000 had adjustable pedals. I think they were brand new. I had to order my truck and wait 2 months. It might have even been a 2001 model. FYI

-Reno

Last edited by RenoHuskerDu; 05-30-2017 at 03:23 AM. Reason: typos
Old 05-30-2017, 03:48 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Basically they were all the same. Anything that came on one can be put on another to make it the same (with the exception of the digital climate control).

Old 05-30-2017, 07:04 AM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
From all my research, a lot of things started in 2002. And it very well may depend on production date as well.

Ive got an 02 Limited built in May of 2002, which is relatively late for an 02 model year, and I think its a Limited Ultimate but it does not have the rear seat monitor in the ceiling, I think that must have been a stand-alone option.

Mine has the full HVAC controls on the steering wheel, along with cruise and radio. I love being able to turn the fan and temp up or down from the steering wheel. This option is only available with the digital climate control, which I also love.

It has adjustable pedals, newer head unit with 6 disc changer in dash (had). 2002 has the wiring for the turn signal to the side mirrors, so it makes it easier to add the turn signal mirrors. 2002 got the updated instrument cluster that ran until the end.

All that being said, Ive seen early 02s that did not have the later head unit or the HVAC controls on steering wheel.

Ive got 205k miles on the Ex and never had problems with any of these things. (or anything else for that matter!)

I actually don't know of anything that an 05 Eddie Bauer does that my 02 Limited Ultimate doesnt, except for different color options of the dash and leather.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:48 PM
jcthorne
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Ultimate package also added the memory function for the driver seat with buttons on the door. Monochrome Black No Boundries edition also started in 2002.

The later year Eddie Bauer Editions were actually a step down from Limited with Ultimate package.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:33 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Ah, the 'early' years had the old-style rolling digits for odometer and tripmeter vs. the digital display version as was pointed out.

Although available options remained pretty much the same, which ones came on an XLT/EB/Limited would vary, and most could be added.

What I've observed was with the '05 model, dealers added lots of options to the '05 to increase profit. Many EB models had the standard Limited options added.
Thus, my '05 EB has: adjustable pedals, 2-pos power seat w/memory, rear vents that open, backup sensors, etc.

Ironically, I've also seen some Limited with the "optional" 2-Tone EB seats.

It's not trivial to "add" some options after the fact, as Apoc suggested.
Adjustable pedals for example requires a new pedal assembly and the switch/wiring
Backup sensors, side vent windows that open, 2nd row DVD player are also not trivial to "add".

Old 06-03-2017, 03:13 PM
travs66
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Ironically, I've also seen some Limited with the "optional" 2-Tone EB seats.
I have the 02 limited ultimate and the seats are std for that package. They even have "limited" sewn into the seat back. Definitely a nice touch.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:35 PM
Blakshukvw
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 03 eb has digital hvac, overhead rear dvd, power rear vent windows, back up sensors, and center buckets. I kinda wish it had steering wheel controls and definitely seat memory cuz I swear there is a seat fairy that screws with my seat setting. It took me months to find a comfortable position and I've owned It a year now and i still find myself messing with it.
P.s. I think center row buckets are the coolest option now that i have them. It made it feel less like an econoline or bus.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:53 PM
jcthorne
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by travs66
I have the 02 limited ultimate and the seats are std for that package. They even have "limited" sewn into the seat back. Definitely a nice touch.
I have an 02 Limited Ultimate No Boundries edition and the seats are not two tone, but does have the captains chairs in second row.

I think they were available both ways but have not seen the option for either listed on a window sticker. Perhaps it was tied to color package.

Old 06-03-2017, 06:21 PM
travs66
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jcthorne
I have an 02 Limited Ultimate No Boundries edition

I think they were available both ways but have not seen the option for either listed on a window sticker. Perhaps it was tied to color package.
I have not heard of the "No Boundaries" edition.

I have 2nd row buckets as well and my sticker lists the "tutone leather"Name:  photo481.jpg
Views: 1608
Size:  2.06 MB

Quick Reply: Which year Excursion has the best options?