1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Vin number touch up

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 08:30 AM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Vin number touch up

Hey guys I would like your opinion on my frame Vin numbers. I have a title with the numbers on it but only a few of the middle numbers are stamped deep enough to read clearly. Should i deepen the frame numbers so they are more readable or just keep as is. I have the data plate but not the glove box one. I just don't want the hassle later as i know they are getting tougher on all of this.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:52 AM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I just had another vin ck ( I'm in California) on my 49 the frame stamp is very hard to read also I was thinking the same as you but left it alone. The vin checker (I hired not a gov person)was training 2 other people so they are walking all around looking at the truck after they talked about the over all "preponderance of evidence" they decided that the glove box was the number one source of evidence. I said but it just has the two screws there the answer was it had the most info and the other two just confirmed that info

Old 05-25-2017, 09:03 AM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Another thought, I was at a car show in Lincoln California was going to lunch with FTE'er Dan and others and I see a CHP checking out the cars with a pen and paper another person asks him what's happening he says I'm checking vins. No body says another word

Old 05-25-2017, 12:43 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Good for him...glad to see the CHP checking out for us.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:53 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
I am in law enforcement and do VIN checks (done some for members on here). Don't do anything to the factory stamping period. If you want to add additional VIN's elsewhere you can do that but don't tamper with the factory one.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:33 AM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 970 Likes on 864 Posts
Listen to what Dave says. If you want to invite problems, if you want to invite speculation, if you want to tie your truck up for months, while the police and registration people do their checks, go ahead and enhance the numbers. Just be ready to prove that's all you did. Altered numbers and stolen vehicles are what the vin checks are all about.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:11 AM
Rusted56
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For what it's worth, it's also illegal in Canada. You cannot do anything to alter a VIN. Your vehicle would be impounded, criminal charges could apply (if your actions are deemed to have criminal intent), and no guarantee you'd get your vehicle back if the charges were not pursued.......Not a good idea anywhere.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:51 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
I would not recommend altering anything as others have said. My truck had the same problem so I carefully clean the area and then took some pictures with various lighting and angles. Then I used various Photoshop filters to enhance the numbers. Sometimes it requires various images and filters to make out the entire VIN. It makes it easy to zoom in and look at details. At least you then have a record before you start painting.

Clean the area up without using abrasives

Enhance images with various Photoshop filters

Old 05-26-2017, 12:32 PM
OldGrayMare
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When the local Sheriff came by to verify my VIN, it was hard to read also. So I took a photo and it showed up better in the picture than you could see with the naked eye. The Sheriff suggested keeping that photo in the glove caompartment to assist the next person who had to try and read it.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:34 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
my numbers look just the same with those lines at a right angle

Old 05-27-2017, 08:08 AM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Ok I understand the problem if they know you stamped them deeper but I'm saying 3 numbers are readable after clean up on this east coast frame. I also don't want to pour money and finish it to have it taken away because they can't read it. I talked to MVA to ask for their help in inspection or a vin plate from them. They said no but would do it if it was a trailer. I get the feeling they want all our antiques off the road.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:47 AM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by pweng1
Ok I understand the problem if they know you stamped them deeper but I'm saying 3 numbers are readable after clean up on this east coast frame. I also don't want to pour money and finish it to have it taken away because they can't read it. I talked to MVA to ask for their help in inspection or a vin plate from them. They said no but would do it if it was a trailer. I get the feeling they want all our antiques off the road.
I would talk to a private VIN verifier before doing anymore get another opinion, in Cali if you talk to a different DMV person you'll get a different answer every time

Old 05-27-2017, 10:25 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Originally Posted by pweng1
If the frame VIN isn't readable and there are no data plates then nobody can prove that it has been stolen. You are innocent until proven guilty. Actually illegibility of the hidden serial numbers is quite common on old vehicles. I assume that you didn't get a title? How about a bill of sale? Most states have a way to title restored vehicles without this information. If the truck is not in good condition I think their attitude, as long as it isn't a rare vehicle, is "who would bother to steal it".

Update: In Maryland it looks like you can apply for a "Salvage" title but the vehicle must be inspected by the State Police: http://www.mva.maryland.gov/about-mv.../58000-03T.htm

Old 05-27-2017, 11:18 AM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
A lot of good information guys. I have never even seen my frame stamping, what is the best west way to expose it without damaging it. Paint remover ( I have paint on mine) , steel wool ? If I could expose it I would use clear on that area and repaint around it using trimmed tape to cover the stamping while repainting the surrounding area.

Old 05-27-2017, 11:44 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
A lot of good information guys. I have never even seen my frame stamping, what is the best west way to expose it without damaging it. Paint remover ( I have paint on mine) , steel wool ? If I could expose it I would use clear on that area and repaint around it using trimmed tape to cover the stamping while repainting the surrounding area.
I used a small, brass wire brush and acetone. The nice thing about the pictures is that when displayed on your computer you can zoom in on them. When taking the pictures try lighting at various angles.

Quick Reply: Vin number touch up