Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

2002 EB Explorer DATC Problems

Old 05-24-2017, 06:11 PM
Mtairytc
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 EB Explorer DATC Problems

new to the forum and maybe it is buried somewhere in the posts but what we have on our 2002 EB 4x4 is the climate controls having a mind of there own. For a while now intermittently the fan would speed up or slow down by its self when not in the auto mode. Also the temp would raise or lower on its own also while not in auto mode. This happened in summer when we needed the ac, would place the temp at 78 and everything would be fine for a short while then the temp would raise to 90. Then when we needed heat this winter we would set the temp at 72 and things would be ok then the temp would go to 60. These conditions would happen no matter if the dual settings were the same or different. Some times both sides would Be ok then things would go bonkers. From what I have read just googling datc problems this may be the module going south. Or the temp diverted panel hanging up. Last night the defrost setting would not work (boy that was fun coming home in the rain).
If this is just the control module how hard and expensive is this to replace? (hopefully plug & play)
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thank You TC

Old 05-25-2017, 06:48 AM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
I'd be inclined to think it's a DATC control module issue. It would not be cause by the blend door since that would not cause the displayed temperature set points to change, it would only cause the actual air output to change and would probably also be accompanied by a clicking noise every so often.

You could try performing a DATC self test/reset procedure. I'll see if I can find the steps to activate that and post them here.

-Rod

Old 05-25-2017, 06:51 AM
shorod
Logistics Pro
From the factory service manual

Dual Automatic Temperature Control Module Self-Test

The DATC module self-test will retrieve on-demand (hard fault) DTCs only, it will not retrieve continuous DTCs. Continuous DTCs can be cleared when exiting the DATC module self-test. Make sure to retrieve continuous DTCs by carrying out the Dual Automatic Temperature Control Module — Retrieve Continuous DTCs procedure before clearing any continuous DTCs.
  • The DATC module self-test will not detect concerns associated with data link messages like engine coolant temperature or vehicle speed signals. A scan tool must be used to retrieve these concerns.
  • The DATC module self-test will detect concerns in the system control functions and will display on-demand (hard fault) DTCs for concerns that are present during the self-test. The vehicle interior temperature should be between 4°C - 38°C (40°F - 100°F) when performing the self-test. If the temperatures are not within the specified ranges, false DTCs may be displayed.
  • The self-test can be initiated after cycling the ignition switch from OFF to ON. Normal operation of the climate control system stops when the self-test is activated.
  • To enter the self-test press the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and release, then press the AUTO button within two seconds. The display will show a flashing blower icon for 20 seconds, after which all vacuum fluorescent segments will be displayed if there are no on-demand DTCs present. If DTCs are present the DATC module will display "00 00" and then on-demand DTCs. Record all DTCs displayed.
  • If any DTCs appear during the self-test, carry out the diagnostic procedure. Refer to the Dual Automatic Temperature Control Module Diagnostic Trouble Code Index and follow the ACTION for each DTC given.
  • If a condition exists but no DTCs appear during the self-test, GO to Symptom Chart Condition: The DATC System Is Inoperative, Intermittent or Incorrect Operation.
  • To exit the self-test and retain all continuous DTCs, press any button except DEFROST. The DATC module will exit the self-test and retain all continuous DTCs.
  • To exit the self-test and clear all continuous DTCs, press the DEFROST button. The DATC module will exit the self-test and all continuous DTCs will be cleared.
  • Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned OFF). Once the self-test is exited the ignition switch must remain ON for at least 30 seconds to allow the temperature blend door actuators to automatically recalibrate.
  • Continuous DTCs will be deleted after 80 ignition switch ON cycles after the intermittent fault occurs.
Dual Automatic Temperature Control Module — Retrieve Continuous DTCs

The DATC module will retrieve only continuous (intermittent) DTCs when carrying out this procedure.
  • Retrieval of continuous DTCs can be initiated after cycling the ignition switch from OFF to ON. Normal operation of the climate control system stops when retrieving continuous DTCs.
  • To retrieve continuous DTCs press the OFF and PANEL buttons simultaneously and release, then press the AUTO button within two seconds. All vacuum fluorescent segments will be displayed if there are no continuous DTCs present. Continuous DTCs are indicated by the presence of the degrees Celsius symbol (°C) on the DATC module display. Record all DTCs displayed.
  • If any DTCs appear, carry out the diagnostic procedure. Refer to the Dual Automatic Temperature Control Module Diagnostic Trouble Code Index and follow the ACTION for each DTC given.
  • If a condition exists but no DTCs appear, GO to Symptom Chart Condition: The DATC System Is Inoperative, Intermittent or Incorrect Operation.
  • To exit and retain all continuous DTCs, press any button except DEFROST. The DATC module will exit the retrieve continuous DTCs mode and retain all continuous DTCs.
  • To exit and clear all continuous DTCs, press the DEFROST button. The DATC module will exit the retrieve continuous DTCs mode and all continuous DTCs will be cleared.
  • Always exit the procedure before powering the system down (system turned OFF). Once the procedure is exited the ignition switch must remain ON for at least 30 seconds to allow the temperature blend door actuators to automatically recalibrate.
  • Continuous DTCs will be deleted after 80 ignition switch ON cycles after the intermittent fault occurs.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:57 PM
Mtairytc
New User
Datc self test done

thank you for the info on the self test. Did it and there were no hard fault dtcs, but there were 2 cont / intermittent codes they were 22 68 & 22 69 these were the only ones that showed up. Upon closing the self test on both hard fault test & intermittent Tests I could hear the doors moving, I also heard them while the self test was initializing. Would clearing the codes change anything, the defrost mode still is not working. Am I correct that when in defrost mode the ac indicator should be on? (The ac works in the normal ac mode)
So if this indicates that the control module is gone what can I expect $$$ wise for the module, and how hard is it to replace? My Chilton manual is limited on info...
Thank you again for the info so far......
TC

Old 05-25-2017, 10:39 PM
Mtairytc
New User
Steering control ground problem code 2268

shorod ...
the code explanation says steering wheel ground fault. We had the stock 6 cd am/fm unit in until the cd quit and replaced it with a ken wood unit. This was over 5 years ago and things worked great till a year or so ago. Steering wheel has the audio controls but when we had the new kenwood unit installed the dealer did not have the connection harness for that unit so we opted to forgo the steering wheel controls. Could this be the problem? Or one of them.

Thanks
TC

Old 05-26-2017, 06:57 AM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Yes, if you have the 2268 and 2269, both of those are related to the steering wheel control circuits. If you had the 2267 and 2268 that would point to a blend door issue.

I don't recall if the AC indicator should be on in the defrost mode. Have you checked the actual AC compressor clutch to see if it is engaged with the defroster on?

The module is not difficult to replace, especially if you've already replaced the radio and know how the trim comes apart. As for the cost, you're probably stuck getting a used module, I'm not sure new ones are still readily available.

-Rod

Old 05-26-2017, 06:29 PM
Mtairytc
New User
Shorod,
thank you for confirming that it's the steering wheel control issue. I did not do the radio install but I can probably figure out the removal. Just seems weird that it would be malfunctioning now and not when the steering wheel controls were disconnected. I guess I could check out the led plug to see if it has gone to ground Somewhere.
Have'nt checked the ac compressor to see if the clutch engages when in defrost setting yet.

Are there any sources for a good re manufactured module?
Thanks TC

Last edited by Mtairytc; 05-26-2017 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Didn't answer Ac question
Old 05-30-2017, 07:11 AM
shorod
Logistics Pro
I don't think the malfunctioning module is due to the steering wheel controls being disconnected. Those codes have probably been present since shortly after the radio was installed. But I'm guessing you probably never checked for them until now.

Actually though, now that I rethink this a bit, the steering wheel controls that are disconnected are only at the radio, correct? Does your Explorer have controls on the steering wheel for the climate control that correlate to the functions which don't work correctly (temperature and fan speed)? If so, the physical buttons on the steering wheel for the climate control may be the real issue. The conductive material could be causing intermittent shorting and cause the temperature settings and fan speeds to change.

Unfortunately, replacement buttons for the steering wheel may be as difficult to source as the module is.

-Rod

Old 06-04-2017, 11:31 PM
Mtairytc
New User
Thanks for the reply as for the steering wheel controls yes fan & temp buttons are there but we're disabled along with the radio buttons when the kenwood unit was installed 5 years ago. My guess is that those buttons were all in the same modular plug. Would you know the Best source for the control panel?

Thanks again TC