1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Cam's for a Super Duty .. Which one ??

Old 05-24-2017, 03:43 PM
stufarmer
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dash Cam's for a Super Duty .. Which one ??

I'd like a Dash Cam in my 16' Super Duty. Which one do you suggest ?

Old 05-24-2017, 09:13 PM
keithf
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Viofo A119 with Lexar 64GB micro SD card in my vehicle - works great!

Are we allowed to post links to Amazon? If so I can post the links to the above ones I ordered - I am not affiliated with them, just a happy customer.

Hth! Keith

Old 05-24-2017, 10:55 PM
zmanmike
Junior User
Hello, just installed a DDPai M6 Plus dash cam on my 05 F-350. So far it works good. It has automatic time lapse mode, GPS, it has a magnetic mount for easy removal, has awesome transitions between dark and sunny spots, and was about $100 on Amazon. I've seen good reviews on the Viofo A119 too.

Search YouTube or the web for a reviewer/blogger named TechMoan. He does very good reviews on dash cams and other items.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:46 AM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's your budget? From the research I did, it seems like the heat is a big killer of dash cams.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:39 AM
RightWingNutJob
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Deuce40s
What's your budget? From the research I did, it seems like the heat is a big killer of dash cams.
Heat from sitting on the dashboard in the sun kills the batteries after a year or two. You don't realize that the Camera's batteries are no longer holding a full charge and the camera craps out in the middle of a crash when the vehicle loses power - right when you need it the most.

Several companies sell Dash Cams that contain a big Capacitor (Cap) instead of batteries. It's a much more reliable set up. The Cap doesn't degrade from heat as anywhere near as badly as batteries do. (Capacitors can last for decades.) The Camera is normally powered by Vehicle Power and the Cap is constantly being charged. In the event that Vehicle Power is lost, the power stored in the Cap will continue to run the camera for a couple of minutes and ensures that you don't lose any important video.

I own this one:
Amazon Amazon

Old 05-25-2017, 01:35 PM
stufarmer
Elder User
Originally Posted by Deuce40s
My budget is as little, to as much as I need for a truck.
It's why I'm asking you Pro's, (lol) Most seem to be between $100.00 to $600.00. Several have features like a rear camera,
some have a screen to watch what it's recording, I don't see the necessity in that, it's more of a tool to me, something to prove my innocence should the situation arise, not as a toy. I do like the idea of it being hard-wired, maybe on an Up-Fitter Switch ?? thats about as far as I've gotten.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:44 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well if you got the budget for a truck to put on a camera I would go with the falcon eye system, with 4 cameras, (3 minimum) two facing rear and two for the front, one per side out side the truck and two for the inside.

I am planning on investing in this MDVR system once I get a few things in order as the current dash cam saved my bacon recently and they are literally worth there weight in gold, and pay for them selves the moment they record someone hitting you or what ever, just remember cameras work both ways too...

Old 05-25-2017, 03:13 PM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by stufarmer
some have a screen to watch what it's recording, I don't see the necessity in that, it's more of a tool to me, something to prove my innocence should the situation arise, not as a toy.
I see the screen as a very beneficial tool. Or at least Bluetooth for playback on your phone. When you're in a little fender bender and the cop starts asking questions, you can play back the video to prove they lied.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:15 AM
keithf
Junior User
Stu, since this is your first cam, consider spending an entry amount and use it for a few weeks, deciding if you want to go all-in as some have suggested.

That way you cover your immediate need of having proof of innocence.

This is how I got started with cams, after my Wife had a fender bender in a Walgreens parking lot and it became "she said, he said" between her and the other driver.

The Viofo A119 I use in all my vehicles, comes with a long USB plug pwr cable plus the cig lighter adapter - for front facing use you can run the pwr cable along the headliner and down the A pillar - for rear facing use you can use the pwr port under the rear seat.

If you decide you like it you can always hard wire it in. If you don't you can pass it on to some-one else in the family.

Hth. Keith.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:52 AM
Trophy_23
Elder User
I don't have mine yet but pretty soon I'll be ordering the Viofo A119S. They seem to have good reviews. There is one guy (seller) on a dash cam form that has the A119 on eBay for $69, which seems like a good deal, but I figured why not get the newest (A119s) one with better night performance.

Old 05-26-2017, 10:18 AM
JoeyCap
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have one of these Blackvue cameras in my truck.

Amazon Amazon

I hardwired it with a device that will turn it off when the truck is not running and the battery is getting low. I've left my truck for almost 4 days and it was still running. I also leave it connected to a hotspot and I can get a live view of the camera if I am somewhere else on my phone. Luckily I haven't actually needed it yet but the security is nice to have.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:24 AM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
The A119 is on of the best price/performance/reliability cameras out there.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:12 PM
stufarmer
Elder User
As always, great advise everyone .. Thank's !! The Viola A119 it is.
It seems like a reasonably unit for me to ( Get To Know what I need in a Dash Cam )
before I spend real money. I live in the Tampa Bay area. Our traffic is a mixture of people on Vacation, lost and confused, Silver Alerts of the Old & Oblivious, and then everyone else thats running late.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:31 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Garmin just came out with a 360 degree dash cam.. do not know if its on there website. YET.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:27 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
any links to the camera(s) your looking at, I am looking to get a second one my self along with the MDVR system

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dash Cam's for a Super Duty .. Which one ??