2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

clearance lights/leaks

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 07:05 PM
ever22
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
clearance lights/leaks

As posted, had water leak at clearance lights, dealer supposedly fixed, have noticed none of the base of lights are flush with roof of truck. The two outside lights have a greater gap between base of light and roof of truck, than the others, but all have a gap between base of light, and roof of truck. Has anyone else noticed this on their truck?

Old 05-06-2017, 10:24 PM
willynilly
Fleet Mechanic
Received 346 Likes on 212 Posts
you think they would make the light have the same contour of the roof. common sense has no place on a 70k vehicle

Old 05-07-2017, 05:35 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,186 Likes on 570 Posts
There have been other threads on this. The lights are flat on the base but mounted on a curved area of the roof. Ford uses a thicker gasket due to this as a band aid. If the lights aren't tightened down enough or the gasket is off center, potential for leaking is high. Not one of the better parts of the 2017 redesign for sure...

Old 05-07-2017, 05:41 AM
alexleblanc
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wanted them but opted out in the end as I wasn't sure if they would affect my using a roof rack, happy I chose not to go with them if they are causing leaking issues, same for the sunroof.

Old 05-07-2017, 05:44 AM
System
Prolocutor
It certainly isn't common to have them leak. They just don't look perfect due to the base not matching the curve of the roof. I'd still rather have them then not and there is no way in the world I would have ordered my truck without a moonroof because of a leak fear. My grandfather wouldn't order power windows or locks because he was worried one of them would fail. More gizmos you have, the more potential for failure he said. LOL. I'll take my gizmos and my warranty thank you very much...

Old 05-07-2017, 09:17 AM
jimzpsd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 300 Likes on 211 Posts
Seven years later after our warranties expire, the UV and ozone will have destroyed the exposed rubber gaskets under the lights and we'll all be shaking our heads. Why Ford.......why?

Old 05-07-2017, 10:29 AM
System
Prolocutor
I'll put on my tinfoil hat and hide in my basement when that day comes Jim...

Old 07-14-2017, 04:58 AM
dsladdict
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I took delivery of my truck at the end of January. Just yesterday I noted a fairly good amount of water in my console and a steady drip from the area of my sunglass holder/up-fitter switch bank at a rate of about 1 drop per second when it was raining.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:56 AM
barefeetburnt
New User
Originally Posted by jimzpsd
Seven years later after our warranties expire, the UV and ozone will have destroyed the exposed rubber gaskets under the lights and we'll all be shaking our heads. Why Ford.......why?
Agreed - been through this 7-15 years later with early PSD gens that I have owned...

Old 07-14-2017, 06:22 AM
ever22
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Took mine in for leaking clearance lights on 4-17. Dealer brought in "seek and seal" contractor to reseal lights. Thanks, and shout out to FormerGunt, who posted on 7-9, that there was tech bulletin out by Ford, on 2-12, that some of these lights leak, and there are replacement lights available. 2 months before I brought mine in for repairs, and dealer didn"t know there were replacements available? Called dealer yesterday, told them I want new lights installed. Will post what happens next. Btw, took delivery on 12-28-16

Old 07-14-2017, 07:11 AM
flaharleyguy
Senior User
I had read somewhere Superdutys produced before end on Jan 2017 were prone to leaking. They changed the gaskets after that, I hope

Old 07-14-2017, 07:13 AM
Eric Animal
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ever22
As posted, had water leak at clearance lights, dealer supposedly fixed, have noticed none of the base of lights are flush with roof of truck. The two outside lights have a greater gap between base of light and roof of truck, than the others, but all have a gap between base of light, and roof of truck. Has anyone else noticed this on their truck?
Yes...all 5 of mine are like this...they don't leak (yet), but look cheesy....the older style trucks look much better (lights)....

Old 07-14-2017, 07:52 AM
dsladdict
Senior User
Originally Posted by ever22
Took mine in for leaking clearance lights on 4-17. Dealer brought in "seek and seal" contractor to reseal lights. Thanks, and shout out to FormerGunt, who posted on 7-9, that there was tech bulletin out by Ford, on 2-12, that some of these lights leak, and there are replacement lights available. 2 months before I brought mine in for repairs, and dealer didn"t know there were replacements available? Called dealer yesterday, told them I want new lights installed. Will post what happens next. Btw, took delivery on 12-28-16

Well I just got off the phone with my dealer. I am not sure that they are obligated to fix per factory direction. I first spoke with the service department and was handed off to the body shop after they were unable to locate the TSB that details the issue with the roof clearance lights.

The person I spoke with in the body shop stated that he had seen the issue with the marker lamps but was also not aware of the TSB until I mentioned it. I then asked specifically if the shop was obligated to follow Ford procedure if one existed and got the answer that they would compare the two and perform what they felt was best.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:10 AM
Readgriff
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would hope and demand they install the proper fitting lights.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:15 AM
Robert.jean1
Senior User
Luckily I did not get the marker lights on my SD, but truly feel for each of you that have this issue, as I know I would loose my freaking mind if my brand new truck leaked!!!!

Quick Reply: clearance lights/leaks