1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

what leafs to take out of my posie spring pack?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 01:24 AM
geoffthepilot
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what leafs to take out of my posie spring pack?

So ive been driving my truck around finally and its awesome. Now all the little projects my truck needs are getting put on the back burner because I don't want to open it up again.
Anyway. One thing I really don't like is how much rake is on the truck now. I like the ride hight of the rear but even after lightening up the front with a lighter engine and cranking the torsion bars all the way up there is still a much lower stance in the front. and I cant change that easily. so I feel taking some of the leafs out of the spring pack would bring the back down an inch and a half or two.
Its the Posie rear leaf pack not the stock ones. Does anyone have any good advice on this? big or little springs making a big difference in ride or drop and such. how many I should try off.

doesn't really show the rake well but that's the best picture I have right now.

Old 04-29-2017, 02:00 AM
geoffthepilot
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found an old thread with enough info to start with. turns out lots of people don't think the Posie springs sit as low as they say they do. One member here removed three leaves and it dropped about 2" and he said rode better. He didn't say which three of the 8 he removed but its a good start.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:08 PM
BTclassics
Senior User
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Maybe moving the cat to the back will help too!

Old 05-03-2017, 11:46 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Did you paint your springs? If so Posie's warns against doing that as the spring leaves do not move against each other as they should when the spring flexes. It would keep the truck raised up more than normal. To correct this I would suggest raising your truck in the air and support it with jack stands under the frame. That allows the spring leaves to open up. Then pry each leaf apart slightly, front and back of each spring, to make sure that the nylon buttons are still in place and moving freely. You might want to try spraying a small amount of dry lube in that area.

That said I don't want rusty springs either. I see that Eastwood has a radiator paint that provides a thin layer of protection so it doesn't interefere with cooling. I haven't used it yet but it might work on the springs too.
Radiator Black 12 oz Satin Finish

If your truck still doesn't sit the way you want it I would suggest driving it for a while as springs tend to naturally loose some of their arch. If you still need more I would check with Posie's as they actually make the springs themselves.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:07 PM
BTclassics
Senior User
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
I've used Eastwood radiator paint and it looks nice and holds up pretty well. I haven't used it for springs though.

Seems the only concern is the ride stance. Instead of pulling leaves, perhaps reversing the rear hanger or moving it up will give you the desired 2" drop. MidFifty has a lowering calculator - Lowering Calculator - Mid Fifty F-100 Parts

I have a 8.8 with a flip kit and was sitting a bit too low in the rear. I ended up just changing shackles to raise it up 2 inches.