6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Possible New 6.4 owner

Old 04-26-2017, 04:07 PM
Themoose56
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible New 6.4 owner

Well guys after doing a lot of truck shopping the past few weeks Ive finally found (i think anyway) the winner. She's a 2008 f350 4dr lariat 6.4 diesel. Im not new to diesels but I am new to the 6.4...I put a deposit down on the truck for the dealer to hold it for me while they pout it throughout their shop. I went in yesterday wanting to look at a 350 dually with the 7.3 but it has too many miles IMO for the price tag so he showed me this truck that they had just gotten in. He told me they are doing all new glow plugs but I test drove her for a good 30 minutes and it just absolutely drove great.
Before I go ahead and move forward what should I really be looking for in the 6.4?? Everything looked good under the hood, had a aftermarket air intake and an aftermarket exhaust from the turbo back. Safe to assume the deletes have been done?

I have test driven other 6.4's and they were super quiet compared to this one with nothing done to the engines. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:27 PM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the DPF has been deleted then there has to be a tune to turn off the re-generation. Is the tuner included with the truck?

If not, then you have a bunch of unknowns as to how the tuner that you do buy will work with the known and unknown modifications. All the best of luck.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:05 PM
Themoose56
Senior User
Originally Posted by Copper.Farm
If the DPF has been deleted then there has to be a tune to turn off the re-generation. Is the tuner included with the truck?

If not, then you have a bunch of unknowns as to how the tuner that you do buy will work with the known and unknown modifications. All the best of luck.
I took her for a long test drive, drover her easy, got on it when i could, stopped for coffee, and shut down the truck 3 times to re start and never had an issue.

What is this re-generation?

Old 04-26-2017, 06:36 PM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Sir / Mam,

Respectfully, take your time to educate yourself on the motor before deciding to buy.

Re-generation is a term used to denote a process, where by fuel is dumped into the rear most cylinders during the exhaust stroke so that tremendous heat can be generated in the Diesel Particle Filter (DPF) which is a large expensive component of the exhaust system. Re-generation produces a controlled burn in the DPF that is intended to eliminate trapped soot. The dumping of fuel into the rear most cylinders has the potential to wash down the piston and rings settling in the Oil pan, thus "making oil". The thinned oil is a known cause of catostophic engine failure or catostophic turbo(s) failure.

To mitigate this risk, many individuals have joined the up and coming sport of off-road diesel racing since removal of the DPF / DOC (catylic converter) is a federal offense through the EPA and potentially state/local smog checks on the diesel. If the truck has a aftermarket turbo back Exhaust then it is quite possible that this truck is a contender on the off-road racing circuit. Always in a "deleted" truck, a special "tune" is required in the engine management computer of the truck as the DPF /DOC and sensors are propably no longer in place, the tune specifically turns off the OEM re-generation process as the DPF is no longer present in the exhaust system. THis mitigation has the potential benefit of greatly reducing the risk of thinned oil, reducing the risk of catostophic engine failure.

A tuner is required to install a "tune" into the engine management computer, small black box type of thing that can plug into the ODB port to install the tune. As the tune is installed, the truck computer serial numbers are recorder in the tuner so that the tuner can only be used on one truck, at the same time the tuner saves the OEM tune in case the owner wants to return the truck to stock configuration with stock DPF / DOC and sensors in place. So, if this truck has been deleted, and it does not come with a tuner - then you have no idea how much tune has been installed and you could easily encounter catostophic engine failure the first time you tow, good tuner is about $700. THe EPA is shutting down the companies who sell DPF deleted tunes. A tune with added fuel and advanced timing produces huge power but is not good for towing, this type of tune could lead to catostophic engine failure if you tow.

In a non-modified truck - All those sensors help to inform the computer that the DPF is clogging with soot and the computer decides when to initiate the re-generation and when to complete the process.

Does your state/local require annual or semi-annual smog checks on diesels?

Any big racing number painted on the doors?

Is a racing helmet include in the sale of the truck?

Do you own a fire proof racing suit?

I assume you have fire extinguishers and other safety gear at the ready.

Additionally, under the hood, look at the large hoses connecting the radiator to the engine - there was a significant update by Ford to replace the original hoses, the replacement hoses have WHITE connector. That update was to address cavitation behind the water pump, cavitation being an air pocket created by sucking in air past weaker coolant hose connector seals - the WHITE connection now has double seals.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:24 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 975 Likes on 750 Posts
I would google 6.4l problems. 6,4l issues, 6.4l help

there are a lot of iffy things about the 6.4l , being a 6.4l owner I can tell you to do your research and take the problems and issues seriously.

a lot of 6.4's are being thrown over the fence once the warranty and extended run out so used dealerships are gold mines for project trucks that can be used to learn about diesel repair, unless you have deep pockets.

there are a lot of 6.4l's that operate under the right conditions, have early service done to them, and don't spend a lot of time idling , but the odds of you getting one of those are unlikey.

the good news is once you dive in and do something like a complete rocker replacement, or a HPFP replacement, the prospects of having to pull the engine some day to replace the lifters is less scary.

so, what can I tell you that would make you feel good about buying a 6.4l, sorry, cant think of anything......

Old 04-27-2017, 09:07 AM
jimh425
Senior User
You do have to be educated about "any" diesel you buy. I've yet to find a perfect diesel engine that never has any issues. It's reasonable to expect there is a possibility of any used vehicle having an issue. You could put 40K with your purchase price and buy a new one. In 3 years, it's still going to be out of warranty. I bought my used one just over 3 years ago, and it was out of warranty on day one that I bought it. Sure, I could have bought and extended warranty, but decide to take my chances.

Obviously, there are some people like speakerfritz that seem to be disappointed with their purchase and would never buy a 6.4 again. On the other hand, both Copper.Farm, and I are reasonably happy with ours. We are a "very" small sample to make a judgement.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:53 AM
Picton
Senior User
Allow me to add myself to the small sample group of trouble free 6.4 owners...as to enlarge it ever so slightly. I purchased my 2010 6.4 used with 72k miles. Deleted the DPF/tuned at about 75-76k. I was able to review the entire service record on the truck...which helped greatly in the purchasing decision. I have 110k on it now with no major issues. Only a drive shaft sensor failure and an AC blend door motor replaced.

If you do get into a 6.4, TAKE CARE OF IT. Fluids and filters on or before their recommended intervals. I follow the "severe duty" schedule personally for some added peace of mind.

Good luck.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:55 AM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Additionally, under the hood, look at the large hoses connecting the radiator to the engine - there was a significant update by Ford to replace the original hoses, the replacement hoses have WHITE connector. That update was to address cavitation behind the water pump, cavitation being an air pocket created by sucking in air past weaker coolant hose connector seals - the WHITE connection now has double seals.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:12 PM
Themoose56
Senior User
I did talk to the dealer earlier today and the sales rep I've been dealing with told me it comes with a tuner and that the deletes have been done. Off the top of his head he couldn't remember the name of the tuner. Any top recommendations on tuners??

It is going through their shop as we speak getting all new fluids/filters and new glow plugs.

No racing numbers!! haha I went through every nook and cranny on the truck on my test drive with her and its real clean, Ill try and post a pic if I can figure it out. Im not scared of the engine and I own a few diesels and always change fluids/filters before I should lol also not afraid to turn wrenches!

Old 04-27-2017, 05:21 PM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Themoose56
I did talk to the dealer earlier today and the sales rep I've been dealing with told me it comes with a tuner and that the deletes have been done. Off the top of his head he couldn't remember the name of the tuner. Any top recommendations on tuners??

It is going through their shop as we speak getting all new fluids/filters and new glow plugs.

No racing numbers!! haha I went through every nook and cranny on the truck on my test drive with her and its real clean, Ill try and post a pic if I can figure it out. Im not scared of the engine and I own a few diesels and always change fluids/filters before I should lol also not afraid to turn wrenches!
That is a good attitude.

I have a Mini Maxx, used it once to do the delete and install their lowest tow tune, now it rests in the top drawer of my tool chest - really woke up the motor. When jumping into the freeway the torque converter locks at 45, then the jump from 45 to 80 is amazing. My fuel mileage is purely a matter of speed, at 70mph I get a solid 14mpg. Aerodynamics of a barn door.

Currently I'm at 20k with MobilOne 5w40 diesel oil, I change the Oil filter every 3000~4000 miles, fuel filters every 10k. I'll send the Oil into Blackstone and let you guys know what they think of it.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:27 PM
Themoose56
Senior User
That is a good attitude.

I have a Mini Maxx, used it once to do the delete and install their lowest tow tune - really woke up the motor. When jumping into the freeway the torque converter locks at 45, then the jump from 45 to 80 is amazing. My fuel mileage is purely a matter of speed, at 70mph I get a solid 14mpg. Aerodynamics of a barn door.
Just did some quick research on the regen and while on my test drive I didn't see any lights on the dash and "cleaning exhaust filter" didn't catch my eye either.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:37 PM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Themoose56
Just did some quick research on the regen and while on my test drive I didn't see any lights on the dash and "cleaning exhaust filter" didn't catch my eye either.
You won't, not with a tune in place. The tuner does not need to be attached for the tune to work.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:10 PM
Picton
Senior User
...Currently I'm at 20k with MobilOne 5w40 diesel oil, I change the Oil filter every 3000~4000 miles, fuel filters every 10k...
Copper, how often do you change the oil? Or did I misunderstand you? I do oil & filter every 5k and do the fuel filters every 10k as well.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:23 PM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Picton
Copper, how often do you change the oil? Or did I misunderstand you? I do oil & filter every 5k and do the fuel filters every 10k as well.
I'm doing a science experiment with MobilOne 5w40 - the Oil looks and smells fine with the Oil filter changes at 4K - it is going to Blackstone with 25k on it to see how much it has broken down. This oil is in significantly better condition than my 6.0L was at 5k.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:29 PM
Picton
Senior User
Interesting. Please keep me posted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possible New 6.4 owner