1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Fuel pump/pressure question. Truck not starting.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 11:58 PM
Redneckmorton
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pump/pressure question. Truck not starting.

I have a 2000 f250 7.3L I am working on. When I bought the truck the guy told me it had a pin hole in the fuel line. Truck ran when I got there but wouldn't build any pressure. Realized the pin hole was in the return line and wasn't the issue. Pulled the fuel filter and the filter was stopped up bad. Grunge half way up the bowl bad. Cleaned it out, resealed it. Truck would run and drive, but was missing. Throwing codes for injectors 1,5,7. Replaced injectors and now truck won't start at all.

I have noticed that the fuel in the bowl drains back out if the pump isn't running. Could this be a bad fuel pump and the check value isn't closing to hold the Fuel? Could it also not be pumping enough fuel to pressure the lines now to force the air out?

I'm going to try to find an adapter in the morning to be able to test fuel pressure at the bowl. But what else should I look towards?

I do have an e99 I can rob parts off of, but it's more a DD, so don't wanna leave it stranded for long either.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:15 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Being that the issue was on the left bank, it probably had a uvch issue and not injector problems...checkout the 50 cent mod, let alone, test ohms at the 42 connector.
With amount of crud in bowl, I'd remove the fuel lines and clean them out Say something about this photo

Old 04-26-2017, 01:19 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
You'll need a #4irb fitting to install in test ports on bowl. Get a liquid gauge and a greasegun hose, and you'll be set

Old 04-26-2017, 06:39 AM
Redneckmorton
Senior User
Forgot to mention the uvch was the first thing I did. With no change in the way the truck ran.

How hard is it to get to the passenger side fuel line on the back?

I have the gauge and hose. I just need the fitting.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:09 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Let's slow down and look at where we are before we chase another part that is undisturbed - adding the back fuel fitting to the list of "It could have been working before I touched it, but now I don't know".

timmyboy76 gave a sneak peak of something - the UVCH link in my signature. Here's the [LINK] in case you are on a mobile site not set to see signature lines. After you replaced the passenger side UVCH, did you ohm it out to verify the fix?

Now that three injectors have been swapped out, there are a host of questions to verify a solid fix there as well. Did you use an INCH/pound torque wrench to get 120 inch/pounds of torque on the hold-down bolts, or did you use a foot/pound wrench set to the reading at or near the bottom of the scale (10)? Did you slather the injector with lube to protect the injector O-rings? Did you leave the valve covers off so you can hot-torque the injectors after warming the engine? Have you heard of a Cody test?

Old 04-26-2017, 07:27 AM
Redneckmorton
Senior User
I have not ohmed the harness at all. But with the diagram I can do that this morning. A buzz test brings back no faults with the new injectors as before it was throwing a code for 1,5,7.

I did lube them all up before carefully sliding them in. But I don't own a tourqu wrench, so just tightened it to feel I guess. The value cover is still off, as I wanted to make sure it was working before I put it back on.

I know it's not the right way to do things. But my dad talked me into shooting a little starter fluid, as it sounded like a fuel issue, and it ran like a top on the starting fluid.

On first install the truck did crank over several times and then die, and then would "run" as long as long as I held the key to start, as soon as you let go of the key it would die. Now it just spins for days with "no fuel."

You can pull the fuel filter. Turn the key on. Pump comes on, fills the bowl, pump turns off, and you can watch the fuel level drain back down the the inlet line level. This is why I suspect a bad fuel pump.

I have not heard of the cody test.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:48 PM
Redneckmorton
Senior User
I got the truck running. Seemed to be an issue in the fuel bowl not letting fuel through. After messing with it for a while I finally got it running yesterday. But the truck will run rough every now and again. Every time it's running rough it throws a code for injector 5 on a contribution test. When it's running good, no codes are thrown. Buzz test returns no codes either way. But you can tell #5 doesn't buzz as loud.

I did ohm the harness today and getting between 2.9 - 3.2 across all 8 of them. With #5 being 3.1.

I drove the truck right around 100 miles yesterday, and it runs good out of the highway. It's just idles a little rough.

So I'm still wondering about the fuel pump. And about to pull the one off my 99 to try before buying a new pump. Not sure if it's pushing enough pressure.

Has anyone ever ran one of the cheap inline filters before the pump? I'd hate to think the guys cousin put anything in the tank. But I'm not for sure. Awfully strange to have a truck full topped off for one that wasn't running right.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:44 PM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Just my opinion, But if you had that much grunge in the fuel bowl, your Fuel tank must look Gawd Awful....You sure you're not just pumping more sludge thru your system?????

And if you didn't torque your injectors down, I imagine there's a whole shakin goin on in those cups.....I wouldn't run it at all until you properly cinch them down....

Old 04-28-2017, 09:26 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
A couple of thoughts...
I understand the check valve in the bowl is not required...so, a non-issue.
Its possible the fuel pressure regulator has collapsed internally.