6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

NO START HELP !!! ...BATTERY?

Old 04-24-2017, 05:23 PM
Wendy Rouleau
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NO START HELP !!! ...BATTERY?

I have a 2005 f350 6.0 diesel that i am having a no start issue with. I have 2 batteries (federated part # 65 - 775 CA 590 CCA 675 ...batteries died couple weeks ago so he jumped it ...ran fine for couple weeks. Came out of work and it acts fine other than wont spark start...turns over all lights work no codes no faults just now start ??? help ford guys !!!! I pulled batteries first and they registered bad battery at a garage took to place i bought batteries they checked them said nothing wrong but needed a better charge ? when put on machine out of truck they registered bat1 at 12.67v with 640cca after charged 13.08v with 690 cca battery 2 registered 12.70v with 728CCA After charged 12.70v with 668 CCA ...FIRST READING TEMP WAS 58 DEGREES 2ND ATTEMPT 71 DEGREES...DOES THIS SOUND LIKE BATTERIES ARE GOOD NOW OR COULD THIS BE MY ISSUE ??? BAD BATTERIES

Old 04-24-2017, 05:27 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you have a way to read live data? that way you can look at what the computer is seeing.

the batteries might be good but the CCA seems a bit low but it depends on if the batteries were load tested.

Do not try to run or crank with low batteries, it can kill your FICM very quickly.

Richard

Old 04-24-2017, 05:40 PM
Wendy Rouleau
New User
i thought the CCA sounded low after they had charged them...but i am a chick and guys sometimes get REAL dismissive if a woman asks a legit question about a part without being more familiar with my trucks battery needs i didnt want to get the your just a girl look at the garage so i brought my questions here lol ...(cant see you all role your eyes ) lol

Old 04-24-2017, 06:03 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
what part of the country are you in? there my be a local forum member that can help.

Richard

Old 04-24-2017, 06:27 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
My wife used to to get down and dirt with me in the bilges of boats I was working on at the marina. She can wrench with the best of them. Don't​ let the Mr macho parts jockey get your panties in a bunch, put your foot down! My wife does it all the time.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:09 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,403 Posts
If they are testing CCA really only tells how good the battery is, not necessarily how charged it is.

Federated is not a name knowned by me, but if the label says CCA is 675, the tested numbers are around that. That really isn't great, but they are not 100 down from their CCA target. I'd be using better batteries, but there are so many reasons this diesel can fail to start (by auto combustion, not spark), just working off battery test values isn't going to help. With this motor, known cranking volts is a way better indication if batteries need to get replaced. Then you need a means of knowing the sensor values to troubleshooting can start.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:24 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 131 Likes on 78 Posts
Do you have a monitor (ScanGauge or phone app etc.) to watch cranking rpm's ?

Old 04-24-2017, 08:07 PM
Wendy Rouleau
New User
Originally Posted by DarkStarMedia
what part of the country are you in? there my be a local forum member that can help.

Richard
I live in WV close to PA line

Old 04-24-2017, 08:10 PM
Wendy Rouleau
New User
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
Do you have a monitor (ScanGauge or phone app etc.) to watch cranking rpm's ?
i have a friend that is bringing one down tomorrow to hook it up and check for codes and levels while in the truck

Old 04-24-2017, 08:14 PM
Wendy Rouleau
New User
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
If they are testing CCA really only tells how good the battery is, not necessarily how charged it is.

Federated is not a name knowned by me, but if the label says CCA is 675, the tested numbers are around that. That really isn't great, but they are not 100 down from their CCA target. I'd be using better batteries, but there are so many reasons this diesel can fail to start (by auto combustion, not spark), just working off battery test values isn't going to help. With this motor, known cranking volts is a way better indication if batteries need to get replaced. Then you need a means of knowing the sensor values to troubleshooting can start.
that is why i was wanting some input from you all ...here if you say ford 6.0 mechanics run away screaming or get big smiles and their calculators out ...i like to have some ideas of what they need to be working on before i let them near my big bertha

Old 04-24-2017, 08:19 PM
Wendy Rouleau
New User
Originally Posted by Per4mance
My wife used to to get down and dirt with me in the bilges of boats I was working on at the marina. She can wrench with the best of them. Don't​ let the Mr macho parts jockey get your panties in a bunch, put your foot down! My wife does it all the time.
lol i try not to let them bother me ...my father was a mechanic and made sure his girls knew enough to survive in the garage even excel at some areas ...but this 6.0 seems to be overwhelming for most mechanics and garages in our area ...i like to be as informed as possible when dealing with them so they dont see a female and think $$$ lol

Old 04-24-2017, 08:20 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Wendy Rouleau
i have a friend that is bringing one down tomorrow to hook it up and check for codes and levels while in the truck
Keep in mind many regular scanners will not work on diesels.

If you have a spare laptop you can use forscan (free) and one of these to get all the data you need:
Amazon Amazon

or you can use your phone and an elm327 blutooth (android) or wifi (iOS) dongle

Richard

Old 04-24-2017, 08:33 PM
Wendy Rouleau
New User
Originally Posted by DarkStarMedia
Keep in mind many regular scanners will not work on diesels.

If you have a spare laptop you can use forscan (free) and one of these to get all the data you need: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

or you can use your phone and an elm327 blutooth (android) or wifi (iOS) dongle

Richard
thanks he has a 6.0 and bought one just for it because he got so irritated taking it in to garages. i didnt think he was in town so i was trouble shooting on here and he called and said he would be in area and hook up to see if anything he could find

Old 04-24-2017, 08:41 PM
Wendy Rouleau
New User
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.

i was wondering about the CCA because i have seen several forums on here saying the 6.0 needed a battery with a 750CCA or higher to run right in states that temp changes from one extreme to other and WV is an area that does this

Old 04-24-2017, 09:35 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,403 Posts
The battery installed at the factory was a 750cca. Most of us try to use a little higher reserve, an 850.

There is how a brand new 850cca well made battery should test out, it's about 150 above it's cca rating.

Two 850s about a year old with some good workouts. The lower one, I never should have bought but it's what you can be given if you don't ask for the batteries to be tested before you buy them.

And a 750 that is over one years old, despite being fully charged, should not be in a diesel or demanding vehicle.

When we start our trucks cold we draw between 500-600 amps. That's getting pretty close to the full capacity of one of the factory 750cca batteries. That's pretty demanding, getting close to a real battery test.

So in a truck like ours, it's really not a bad thing to spend $10-15 so you can monitor your starting voltage during that most demanding time on a simple device like this. When you drop to 10.5 volts, it's really time to get new batteries. Out trucks become a better battery tester then in some garages or stores.