Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Center of Weight / Hoist

Old 04-24-2017, 06:45 AM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Received 587 Likes on 318 Posts
Center of Weight / Hoist

Does anyone know where the center of weight on a 7.3 four door long box 4x4 would be? I have an asymmetrical hoist and have a feeling I'm putting it on too far forward because it's hard to open the doors. Thanks!

Old 04-24-2017, 07:08 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I'm thinking that it could be calculated mathematically if you weigh your front axle and your back axle and knew exactly what the math was. You would also have to have your wheel base, which I believe is on your door sticker and can be obtained with a VIN search in the tool above. I also think that the math could be reverse engineered with some thought. i e if both axles weighed the same your center of gravity (CG) would be right in the middle of them. Make one axle heavier than the other and move the CG proportionately in that direction.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:35 AM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Received 587 Likes on 318 Posts
Yes, the math is explained here: Balancing Safety - Two-Post Lift Loading - Center of Gravity - Two-Post Lift Balance

I was just hoping someone around here has already done it!

Old 04-24-2017, 07:43 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
The cab is a solid piece and the only thing that will "bend" with a bad load is the frame. I would check your hinges and your latch pins.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:47 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,970 Likes on 1,105 Posts
Ah, the joys of using an asymmetrical hoist on a vehicle that is way too long to be put on an asymmetrical hoist.

​​​​​​​The guy who invented the asymmetrical hoist should be shot. Be damn careful.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:19 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Surprisingly, you can use a bathroom scale to figure out each tire's weight on the ground. Do a front and a back, and you can follow the math you found online for the CG. It's actually the same principle, we did it all the time with track cars years ago.

You should lift the opposite side of the axle to keep it level, the board not so much as it so long. And it doesn't matter if the board bends, as long as it doesn't touch the ground. Use a small spacer block to make certain the weight of the board goes on the center of the scale. And I doubt you'd see anywhere near 4500 on the front axle, so the scale is safe. Just lower the truck gently onto the board.

And if your wife see what you're doing with her scale, well that's on you!

Old 04-24-2017, 09:24 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I never heard of these things before, they look dangerous to me...and I do some hairy things.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:16 AM
carguy3j
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you are over-thinking this. I get that you want to be safe. That's great. There is a place ( or places) in life for careful, precise, complex calculations. I don't think this is one of them. At least not for the end user. If you are the guy designing the lift, then yes, please check your math. But for the guy just lifting his truck up, well you're not launching the space shuttle here...

Position it with your best guess, then lift it up a couple of inches off the ground. Eyeball it and give the shake test. If it looks level, and seems "solid", then resume your elevator ride to the top. If something seems "off" then lower it back down and re-position.

Keep in mind, with the 7.3, unless the bed is packed with heavy stuff, the truck will be seriously nose heavy anyway, so I'm not sure you really can lift it too far forward. Well, in theory you could, but practically, I don't think you would be able to get the lift arms positioned that far ahead, while all 4 still have somewhere to grab.

If it does look nose heavy, no matter how you position it, then you could consider putting some extra weight / ballast in the bed, as long as you aren't exceed the weight capacity of the lift.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:43 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
I do like above with most cars. The 450 is a crewcab the front doors hit the hoist and I have to squeeze out that is how I know I'm in the "right" spot. Once it is up AND ON THE LOCKS it gets supports front and rear. I usually use the front mount for the front leaf springs and the hitch in the rear. Probably overkill but makes me feel better.

Old 04-24-2017, 04:09 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Don't put an SD on a *** lift. Day one stuff.

The quad at the shop is rated for these trucks and it still strains.

Life's too short to play with numbers, especially if you live to be only 100.

I like the safety of the jacks that are posted tho.

Denny

Old 04-25-2017, 08:20 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselDenny

Denny
Not sure what you mean. What is the problem?

Old 04-25-2017, 08:38 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,644 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselDenny

The quad at the shop is rated for these trucks and it still strains.

Life's too short to play with numbers, especially if you live to be only 100.

I like the safety of the jacks that are posted tho.

Denny
My asymmetrical lift is rated for 10,000 lbs, my excursion weighs 7994 lbs, 2,000 lbs under the safe load for it.
Why not lift super duties?

Old 04-25-2017, 08:57 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't have a lift, but I would hope there are two ratings for it, one for weight, and one for size. Big difference between a 10000 lbs Prius and a 10000 lbs F250 CC longbed dually.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:24 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Brandens pics are how i/we did my clutch last year. Brother users the lift all the time at his when, whether it be the race cars or changing tires/fluids on a cc dually dodge

Old 04-25-2017, 03:15 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Superdutys are nearly 70 pct cab forward weight. An *** lift with poor anchors will be strained to the max. It's just a call you have to make but IMHO, it's a huge gamble unless you put the anchor plates in deep and have specific hardened hardware anchoring them and what bag mix was poured and how deep the pour is.

Like I said, the 10k 4point lift we use still struggles and it is a top brand and well built.

Not being squeamish, but I do observe and enjoy your posts and pick up good tips. Hate to see that disappear. I guess I just err to caution.

Denny (highest regards)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Center of Weight / Hoist