1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Replaced HPOP O-Rings ran great now won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 03:16 PM
fridgeddiesel
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Replaced HPOP O-Rings ran great now won't start

My "non-serviceable" plug was leaking on my HPOP so I pulled it and replaced all the o-rings and the non-serviceable plug with a new serviceable plug. Everything went back as it should, ball under the new plug - let the thread locker set for 24 hrs and re-installed. Truck started after a few times cranking it over once the air was purged from the oil rail. Test drove truck and it ran better than it it was before with no leaks. Turned off the truck to make sure nothing was leaking. Tried to start the truck again and it just cranks and will not fire.

I checked for codes and got none. I just went and cranked it again for about 20 seconds and near the end of cranking I got a CEL with a P1212 "ICP Voltage Not at Expected Level"

Fuel bowl is full of fuel.

The HPOP resivour is FULL to the top with oil to the top. After sitting for a bit the oil level was about 1/2" below the top.

Anyone know what my issue may be? Thanks

Old 04-23-2017, 07:01 PM
fridgeddiesel
Tuned
I get no smoke when I crank the engine and with the P1212 fault code I am guessing it is the IPR. Took the IPR out and the inner o-ring looks ok. The split ring above the o-ring has a small nick in the side opposite the split. Maybe the o-ring is just worn enough to produce a no start no pressure condition? Maybe the whole IPR is not functioning?

Old 04-23-2017, 08:24 PM
fridgeddiesel
Tuned
I pulled the HPOP reservoir back off and check to make sure the HPOP gear had not slipped out or something. Everything was still tight and in place. Either the HPOP has totally failed, the IPR has failed or the IPR o-ring is not holding pressure.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:40 PM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Did you rebuild the IPR as well or just the hpop? Can you read codes and monitor the oil pressure while cranking?

Old 04-23-2017, 10:55 PM
Chris56ford
lost
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you see the tach moving while cranking? if not try swapping the CPS. Batteries are charged, all fuses good? Also try unplugging the ICP sensor and try starting it.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:50 AM
fridgeddiesel
Tuned
Tach is moving. New batteries fully charged. Checked all fuses. Tried unplugging the ICP first thing when it would not start with no change other than a CEL.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:33 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Have you checked your oil level (with the truck on a level surface)? Have you checked the HPOP res oil for glittery confetti?

Old 04-24-2017, 01:54 PM
fridgeddiesel
Tuned
Checked the oil level right away. Had just changed the oil while doing the HPOP. HPOP oil reservoir at it's normal level. Drained it again to pull it off and make sure the drive gear was still properly attached to the HPOP and torqued properly. Oil clear and fresh from the oil change - no glittery confetti.

The only thing I can think is the o-ring and split ring on the IPR is not sealing. While the o-ring looks fine it is 20 years old. All the rest of the o-rings on the truck are failing. I replaced them all in the oil cooler not more than a couple of months ago. These are the only parts not replaced when I re did all the o-rings and replaced the non-serviceable plug. I ordered an IPR o-ring reseal kit this morning. Hopefully this is all it is.

I'm still looking for other causes just in case. IPR gone bad? Strange that it would run so well, idle perfectly while I checked for leaks then not restart after shutting it down for a few minutes...

Old 04-24-2017, 02:30 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Old 04-24-2017, 06:27 PM
fridgeddiesel
Tuned
Flow chart would lead me to Test IPR and wiring... I will replace the o-ring on the IPR and re-assemble. If no start still persists I will go through the IPR test procedure listed in the flow test. Thanks Jerrett for the information!

Old 04-25-2017, 01:11 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
No problem! It isn't my flowchart, just something that has been passed around the forum. It wouldn't be a bad idea to print the chart out and keep it in the glovebox for a rainy day.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:50 PM
fridgeddiesel
Tuned
Already printed and put in the truck...

Old 04-26-2017, 02:50 PM
fridgeddiesel
Tuned
Update:

Got the new o-rings installed on the IPR. Put everything back together and got sputtering and smoke. Figured air needed to bleed out of the oil rail. Cranked on the starter a few times and it would almost catch, sputter but not fire. Tack was moving. Pulled codes - not sure all of them were cleared from before. This time I had a P1661 again, P0344 and a P1212. The P0344 told me it was missing from the CPS sensor. I replaced it with a new one and it fired right up. Took the truck out and warmed it up, ran great again. Figured I fixed it. Parked back in garage and let it sit for 15 minutes. Checked the codes and there were none. Went to start it again while hot - nothing just cranks over, no smoke no nothing - tach is moving. I have two new CPS's so I switched them out again just in case. Same thing just cranks over and there is no smoke. Frustrated!

What would cause the truck to start originally when cold but no start and no smoke when hot?

Old 04-26-2017, 05:06 PM
fridgeddiesel
Tuned
Ran a test of the wiring harness. The numbers were all over the place. Looked at the wires going into the IPR plug and they are bare copper and touching each other. Bet that is my problem.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:57 PM
jimzpsd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 300 Likes on 211 Posts
Mine were bare and exposed too, fixed it along with a new IPR and won't start,..........I feel your pain.

Quick Reply: Replaced HPOP O-Rings ran great now won't start